• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing new car

I am in the process of buying a new 2006 Mercedes SLK 55. I've never owned a car like this before and I want to get started detailing it correctly. What do you pros recommend?

Should I strip the factory waxes and start fresh?

Details....products.....equipment.....thanks in advance!!

On my new cars, I wash, clay and polish with #80 Speed Glaze. I follow that with tow coats of NXT Tech Wax applied a day apart. To maintain the shine and protection I apply NXT Tech Booster Spray Wax after every wash or two.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

Hi reallife, to MOL.

Congrats on the new ride, sweet.

Unless you paid for a “paint protection package” there isn’t likely to be any wax on the car to begin with. (And if they try to talk you into a package just say no. It’s a huge waste of money.)

The best way to maintain any finish is by applying the “5-step cycle” using good technique and top quality products.

Meguiar’s make a lot of different products so you can tailor your choice of products and process to suit your specific needs and preferences. The products jfelbab mentioned will certainly give excellent results.

PC.

Comment

First and before-most, to Meguiars Online

when new, you should really clay the car since when it is being transported by train there is a lot of rail dust that gets onto the car, do the entire paint and the windows too. And make sure that you are using quality car wash as other detergents/cleaners such as Dawn or Palmolive will dry and dull the paint. I like to use Gold Class Wash. then check the paint, any swirls/scratches/blemishes? polish depending on what is needed. #80 is probably good since it puts a lot of oils into the paint. then follow up with your choice of wax ( i like the nxt ) remember to apply really thin layers and give it enough time to cure. you will know when to take off the wax by using the swipe test. Apply your second coat of wax 24 hours afterwards. good luck with your new car!!
        Last edited by LnkPrkSoldier; Jun 19, 2005, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Just detailed my wife's new Tacoma. I requested that the dealer skip their usual pre-delivery "detail". I did a swipe test and found that it didn't need to be clayed. #80 followed by two coats of NXT paste wax has it lookin' good even though it is white.

Tom
          Last edited by tguil; Jun 20, 2005, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Reallife, I must apologize. I failed to notice this was your first post. I believe you will find this forum to be a great resource.

So a belated
            Jim
            My Gallery

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');