• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying & Removing Wax w/ PC Polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying & Removing Wax w/ PC Polisher

I am new to the world of detailing and just purchased the Porter Cable Variable Speed Random Orbit Polisher (6"). Now that I have the PC polisher, I am unsure what pads I should be using to wax my car. Are there separate pads for applying the wax? removing the wax? and buffing? Any advice would be appreciated so I can purchase the appropriate accessories.
    Also, what wax should I use? If possible, I would like to use a combination cleaner/wax.
    Are there any downsides to using a combination cleaner/wax?
    Thanks for the help!!!

Re: Applying & Removing Wax w/ PC Polisher

Originally posted by sbhillman
    I am new to the world of detailing and just purchased the Porter Cable Variable Speed Random Orbit Polisher (6"). Now that I have the PC polisher, I am unsure what pads I should be using to wax my car. Are there separate pads for applying the wax? removing the wax? and buffing? Any advice would be appreciated so I can purchase the appropriate accessories.
    Also, what wax should I use? If possible, I would like to use a combination cleaner/wax.
    Are there any downsides to using a combination cleaner/wax?
    Thanks for the help!!!

For applying any type of paint cleaner or polish you will need to use a W-8006 polishing pad. For applying wax you will need the W-9006 finishing pad. Get this (http://meguiars.com/estore/product_d...em&sku=W-DAV99) along with another finishing pad, this does include the velcro backing plate you will need. When its time to remove the wax, you can use microfiber towels or the unltimate bonnet over a different W-9006 or w-8006 pad and then use the MF towel to get detailed tiny spots. For best results you should probably use a cleaner like #80 Speed Glaze and then polish (#81, #7, DC#2) and wax (2 coats NXT) on top of that. Another option is to use colorX instead of the polishing step to clean and polish at the same time.The results will be 10x better that way than by just using a cleaner/wax. First though, you need to evaluate the paint condition. What type of cleaning does it need if any? Are you trying to remove and swirls or defects? What kind of time and effort are you willing to put forth? These questions will help formulate a method thats best for you. NXT wax is proven by Meguiars to be the best wax they offer for protection, it also adds a nice deep wet shine. These are some good options, but surface evaluation is key to getting exactly what you need. Either way, get the DA velcro polishing kit and an extra w-9006 or w-8006 pad. Its best to order more than you will use because if you get something on them then you have to switch and they dont last forever. This will be the best money you ever spent on your car. Tip: When you get the pads, use a sharpie to write on the back what product you used them for. This way you wont mix products on the surface. Use a different pad for each step including removal.
    Last edited by soonercivic; Jun 20, 2005, 09:01 AM.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Hi i'm a newb to detailing as well...I was wondering after you've applied the wax with the PC do you buff right away or can you do the whole car then buff? Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

After you apply the wax you let it dry. Do the whole car at once. NXT needs a dry time of 10-20 minutes depending on climate. To see if its ready to remove perform the "swipe test." Run your finger across it, if the residue comes off easily then your good to go. After it dries just wipe of the excess and re-apply as desired. With a wax it is recommended to apply 2 even coats. This ensures uniform coverage and protection. If you buff it off immediatly you will not gain any protection and waste your time.
        Last edited by soonercivic; Jun 20, 2005, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite1
          Hi I'm a newbie to detailing as well...I was wondering after you've applied the wax with the PC do you buff right away or can you do the whole car then buff? Thanks for the feedback!
          Hi Infinite1,

In the Meguiar's line of products, All our waxes need to dry before you remove them. We recommend using the Swipe Test to tell if our waxes are ready to remove.

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test

In the detailing world at large, there are a few waxes where the manufacture recommends that you apply and then immediately wipe them off, whenever you see this kind of recommendation, a red flag should go up in your mind as this is an indicator that the wax is difficult to remove if allowed to dry. This is usually not a good sign for a car wax.

Since you're new to detailing, take a few moments to read through this thread...

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Re: Applying & Removing Wax w/ PC Polisher

Originally posted by soonercivic

For applying any type of paint cleaner or polish you will need to use a W-8006 polishing pad. For applying wax you will need the W-9006 finishing pad. Get this (http://meguiars.com/estore/product_d...em&sku=W-DAV99) along with another finishing pad, this does include the Velcro backing plate you will need.
            The above is all correct.

When its time to remove the wax, you can use microfiber towels or the ultimate bonnet over a different W-9006 or w-8006 pad and then use the MF towel to get detailed tiny spots.
            This is close. The W-9006 Finishing Pad is excellent for applying a finishing wax or a pure polish, but it tends to be to soft and pliant for removing dried wax. You can use if if you like, no one will stop you, we're just letting you know a clean, dry W-006 Polishing Pad, or a clean, dry W-7006 Cutting Pad works better because they are dramatically stiffer, for removing dried wax using a microfiber bonnet.

For best results you should probably use a cleaner like #80 Speed Glaze and then polish (#81, #7, DC#2) and wax (2 coats NXT) on top of that.
            The above combination is a time-proven winning combination

Another option is to use ColorX instead of the polishing step to clean and polish at the same time. The results will be 10x better that way than by just using a cleaner/wax.

First though, you need to evaluate the paint condition.

* What type of cleaning does it need if any?
            * Are you trying to remove and swirls or defects?
            * What kind of time and effort are you willing to put forth?

These questions will help formulate a method thats best for you.

NXT wax is proven by Meguiar's to be the best wax they offer for protection, it also adds a nice deep wet shine. These are some good options, but surface evaluation is key to getting exactly what you need.

Either way, get the DA Velcro polishing kit and an extra w-9006 or w-8006 pad. Its best to order more than you will use because if you get something on them then you have to switch and they don't last forever. This will be the best money you ever spent on your car.

Tip: When you get the pads, use a sharpie to write on the back what product you used them for. This way you wont mix products on the surface. Use a different pad for each step including removal.
            All very good!
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Words from the pros! Thanks for approving what i said. I always feel better when you agree being that you have just about 50million times the experience. lol

Comment

11" Bonnet on a 6" PC?

I had posted a similar question under a different sub heading.
                This answered most of my questions..but from what I see the Ultimate Bonnet is only available as 11". Can this be used with the 6" PC? Or was this an oversight???

Comment

They have it in the 8" size that will fit the 6" pad. http://meguiars.com/estore/product_d...onnet&sku=M-99

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great info!! For a time i've been really adamant about detailing b/c i was a little afraid to mess up on my car. With the info you've given helps me out a great deal thanks again!

Comment

Re: 11" Bonnet on a 6" PC?

Originally posted by Foxyone
                      ... from what I see the Ultimate Bonnet is only available as 11". Can this be used with the 6" PC? Or was this an oversight???
                      The Ultimate Bonnets for the 6.5" pads have been replaced by the new Gold Class Bonnets (two-pack, part# X-4003). They came out very recently and haven't been added to the website yet. Some dealers have them now or you can order them by calling Customer Care.

PC

Comment

Thanks for the great advice.

I have a 2003 Dodge Durango that has never been detailed. I do, however, wash the car on a fairly regular basis. Nonetheless, I am sure that the car is in need of a good cleaning to remove oxidation and other "stuff." Keeping in mind that I am trying to minimize effort and limit the number of steps, it sounds like the Color X followed by the NXT is the way to go for me.

I do, however, have three additional questions:

(1) Is the claying step necessary? or does the Color X allow me to skip this step? If I do use the clay, can it be reused or must it be discared after each use?

(2) Can the Color X be applied using the PC orbital polisher? I understand that the Color X has some abrasives, so I am a little nervous about damaging the finish. On the other hand, the Durango has alot of paint and I am not thrilled at the thought of applying the Color X by hand.

(3) Assuming I can use the PC polisher for both the Color X and the NXT, I am still a little confused about the choice of pads. Can you please review and confirm that my selections are correct

Applying Color X: Use W-9006 ?
                        Removing Color X: Use ???
                        Applying NXT: Use W-9006 ?
                        Removing NXT: Use W-8006 with micro fiber bonnet ?

Thanks for the additional help.

P.S. I do understand that I should not mix the Color X and the NXT pads.

Comment

(1) Is the claying step necessary? or does the Color X allow me to skip this step? If I do use the clay, can it be reused or must it be discarded after each use?
                          Nothing can actually replace the clay bar step. ColorX is a paint cleaner but will not remove contaminates the way clay will. The clay can be reused multiple times.

(2) Can the Color X be applied using the PC orbital polisher? I understand that the Color X has some abrasives, so I am a little nervous about damaging the finish. On the other hand, the Durango has alot of paint and I am not thrilled at the thought of applying the Color X by hand.
                          ColorX is abrasive and is not made to be applied with an orbital polisher. When people say PC or DA they usually mean a dual action porter cable like you bought. If you do not have a DA your best option for results is by hand, however since you just bought the DA you will be hard pressed to ever cause any damage with it. They are very user friendly and offer great results.

(3) Assuming I can use the PC polisher for both the Color X and the NXT, I am still a little confused about the choice of pads. Can you please review and confirm that my selections are correct
                          All your selections are correct except you should use a w-8006 pad for the colorX. For removing colorX you can just use a microfiber towel. After you have worked it in there is no need to let it sit, you can just remove it with the towel and reapply as desired.
                          Last edited by soonercivic; Jun 21, 2005, 10:20 AM.

Comment

(1) Is the claying step necessary? or does the Color X allow me to skip this step? If I do use the clay, can it be reused or must it be discared after each use?
                            my advice would be NOT to skip the claying step...it can be time consuming depending on the condition of the paint, but will make an ENORMOUS difference and prepare the paint for the next step in the 5 STEP PROCESS....I love what the clay did for my van and you'll not regret spending the time...once I started to clay and saw the results, I clayed everything, including the license plates !...the stuff is amazing....AND I clayed the whole van using one piece of clay and it still is in great shape so I can use it on the next vehicle...good luck !
                            Last edited by TKDDAD; Jul 11, 2005, 04:52 AM.
                            Bill Poirier
                            West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Thanks for the great advice.

I have a 2003 Dodge Durango that has never been detailed. I do, however, wash the car on a fairly regular basis. Nonetheless, I am sure that the car is in need of a good cleaning to remove oxidation and other "stuff." Keeping in mind that I am trying to minimize effort and limit the number of steps, it sounds like the Color X followed by the NXT is the way to go for me.

I do, however, have three additional questions:

(1) Is the claying step necessary? or does the Color X allow me to skip this step? If I do use the clay, can it be reused or must it be discarded after each use?
                              ColorX is a strong cleaner/wax and it actually will remove some of the bonded contaminants off the surface that clay will remove however it probably/likely will not do as great of a job as claying the paint will for removing all above surface contaminants. Detailing clay is a necessary tool and claying your car's finish is a priority step in any car detailing process if the car is a daily driver and parked outside at least some portion of each day.

Clay bars can be re-used until they become too dirty that when you look at them common sense tells you it's time for a new clay bar. To store your clay bars simple place them in a zip-lock baggie and spray in a little quick detailer.

(2) Can the Color X be applied using the PC orbital polisher?
                              Yes.

I understand that the Color X has some abrasives, so I am a little nervous about damaging the finish. On the other hand, the Durango has alot of paint and I am not thrilled at the thought of applying the Color X by hand.
                              The abrasives used in ColorX as well as all of our Consumer and Professional Line products are diminishing abrasives and will not scratch your finish. Just for fun, take your bottle of ColorX and shake it up really well and then pour some out into your hand and feel it between your fingers, you will not feel anything abrasive at all and in fact it will feel like a hand lotion for your skin.

Applying Color X: Use W-9006 ?
                              Removing Color X: Use ???
                              Applying NXT: Use W-9006 ?
                              Removing NXT: Use W-8006 with micro fiber bonnet ?
                              Applying ColorX use the W-8006 at the 4.0- to 5.0 speed setting
                              Applying the NXT Tech Wax use the W-9006 at the 3.0 setting

For removing both of these products using a microfiber bonnet you need to use a foam pad with some stiffness to it, for this reason the W-7006 or W-8006 pads work very well. They should be clean and dry before placing a bonnet over them. It's a good idea to have a foam pad that is dedicated only for use with a bonnet.

Thanks for the additional help.

P.S. I do understand that I should not mix the Color X and the NXT pads.
                              This is correct, you do not want to cross-contaminate pads with different chemicals. To step up to machine cleaning, polishing and waxing with a dual action polisher, you really want to have 3-4 pads on hand.
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');