• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay Required Before ScratchX ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Required Before ScratchX ?

Newbie first post here, hey folks. I bought a 98 silver Caddy DeVille last month. The paint job is really pretty decent still. I washed it with dedicated car wash soap n water, waxed it with Mequiar's cleaner wax then topped that with the Gold clearcoat wax. Looks great, almost mirror. There's the rub, ALMOST. Reflections are a bit fuzzy. No overt haze/oxidation, just tiny scratches only visible in reflected light viewed from an angle. So after much review of these message boards I bought ScratchX. But the clay is a bear to find around here. I could order it online, but should I clay before I use the ScratchX ??? Is the clay necessary before ScratchX or a waste of time? And yes I will follow the entire 5 steps when I go to work on the DeVille again. Thanks.

Last edited by Pschrink; Jun 22, 2005, 01:32 AM.
    It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to detail all of it.

Hi Pschrink,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Definitely clay the car before using the ScratchX, if the car has not been clayed i a while, or ever, I think you'll be surprised at what you see on the working side of the clay bar after you clay for a while.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Well I am sore and tired after working on the Deville for 7.5 hours to finish the job. Washed, used proline clay detailer (light), ScratchX, No 7 glaze and topped with Gold Class Wax. My silver 98 DeVille now IS a mirror. It looks very wet and the gloss and reflection quality is remarkable, better than the new cars at my local Caddy dealer. The clay sucked up loads of brown particles along with alot of fine black soot. The ScratchX did remove one particular bad scratch with 5 applications and heavy elbow grease. Minor scratches poof gone first application. I am pleased as pie and very grateful for the advice available online here. Thanks and count me in as a regular customer from now on.
      It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to detail all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pschrink
        My silver 98 DeVille now IS a mirror. It looks very wet and the gloss and reflection quality is remarkable, better than the new cars at my local Caddy dealer.
        We like hearing this!

The clay sucked up loads of brown particles along with alot of fine black soot.
        Clay is key to properly preparing the finish for wax and necessary to insure the best possible results for gloss and smoothness if the car is regularly parked outside.

The ScratchX did remove one particular bad scratch with 5 applications and heavy elbow grease. Minor scratches poof gone first application.
        ScratchX works... if you work it.

I am pleased as pie and very grateful for the advice available online here.
        We do our best and we're happy to hear you've found our forum a helpful resource in your car detailing endeavors.

Thanks and count me in as a regular customer from now on.

We like hearing this!
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');