• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was I Just Lucky With No. 7 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I Just Lucky With No. 7 ?

Since I did a full 5 step for the first time on my 6 year old car, I have read a couple times here that the No. 7 glaze needs rubbed down three times to be a proper job. When I used the No. 7 glaze I rubbed it on thin over about two square foot areas at a time with a Meguiar's foam applicator, then buffed it off agressively with microfiber towels. ONE time. When done I waxed er' up with Gold Class wax. Everything came out great, no gum/stickiness and great clarity and gloss. So how or why did I get away without rubbing off the No. 7 three times? Could my paint been that thirsty? Was I unusually stingy with the glaze? Or am I just having a lil' beginner's luck?
    It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to detail all of it.

It's like that. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's finicky.
    Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

wait, so whats the process? apply one thin coat and remove once , then grab another towel, and remove again??? huh??

Comment

The trick is to not let it dry
        - do small sections at a time
        - if it starts to dry on your applicator, get a new applicator
        Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Originally posted by black240sx
          The trick is to not let it dry
          - do small sections at a time
          - if it starts to dry on your applicator, get a new applicator
          Bingo, I did two foot square area at a time then immediately buffed it off with microfiber towels until dry to touch before I moved on to repeat the process. Used alot of microfiber towels too, replacing dirty towel with clean often.

The big headache to avoid with this product is using too much and then having it get gummy over the paint surface.
          Last edited by Pschrink; Jun 25, 2005, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LnkPrkSoldier
            wait, so whats the process? apply one thin coat and remove once , then grab another towel, and remove again??? huh??
            What I read else where on the board for No. 7 glaze was to rub it out thin and well into the paint with a foam applicator over the entire car. Wait for it to form a layer of 'skim' like on top of cooked pudding. This because the glaze being oils will never really dry from a wet condition. Then to use microfiber towels to buff off the entire car. Then wait for it to skim again and buff a second time. Then to wait a lil longer to try for another skim coat and buff the final/third time. Now me being a "does not read and follow directions well" kinda guy since kindergarten, I had to try a different way. But it worked for me. The small area and work it well approach. My way is faster but probably didn't give the glaze as much of a chance to seep into the paint as well.

Comment

I think the three 7s is more a vegas slotmachine thing, you get three 7s and then you can pay someone else to wax your car.

Comment

I've used #7 for years and have never heard of doing it on the entire car, then going back and trying to remove it. That would seem like a LOT of work trying to get it off. I have always just applied a section at a time, then removed it right away... Applying it thin is key to easy removal as well.

Tom

Comment

Re: Was I Just Lucky With No. 7 ?

Originally posted by Pschrink
                  Since I did a full 5 step for the first time on my 6 year old car, I have read a couple times here that the No. 7 glaze needs rubbed down three times to be a proper job. When I used the No. 7 glaze I rubbed it on thin over about two square foot areas at a time with a Meguiar's foam applicator, then buffed it off agressively with microfiber towels. ONE time. When done I waxed er' up with Gold Class wax. Everything came out great, no gum/stickiness and great clarity and gloss. So how or why did I get away without rubbing off the No. 7 three times? Could my paint been that thirsty? Was I unusually stingy with the glaze? Or am I just having a lil' beginner's luck?
                  It's possible that your paint was very dry to begin with, but a microfiber towel can do a better job of removing a glaze, (such as #7) than a terry towel can.

In my more ignorant days, I used to try to buff off #7 with a terry towel in one pass, and whatever smear was left over was removed after the wax was applied & dried.
                  r. b.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');