• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapo Buffer Always Made Swirls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapo Buffer Always Made Swirls

A couple years ago I bought one of those cheapo $30 generic made in China buffers at a retail store, whose box claimed it had random motion. After washing and waxing the Olds I owned at the time I began to use it to buff off the wax and to my horror it was producing swirls on the hood like that's what it was made to do. I stopped right there and didn't use it again. The wife got $5 for it during a garage sale. I plan on asking for a PC 100a for Xmas. But my question is, why do the cheapo buffers do such a rotten job and how are they different than the recommended PC 100a ?
    It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to detail all of it.

Re: Cheapo Buffer Always Made Swirls

Originally posted by Pschrink
    A couple years ago I bought one of those cheapo $30 generic made in China buffers at a retail store, whose box claimed it had random motion. After washing and waxing the Olds I owned at the time I began to use it to buff off the wax and to my horror it was producing swirls on the hood like that's what it was made to do. I stopped right there and didn't use it again. The wife got $5 for it during a garage sale. I plan on asking for a PC 100a for Xmas. But my question is, why do the cheapo buffers do such a rotten job and how are they different than the recommended PC 100a ?
    All the cheap and inexpensive polishers we've ever seen are random orbital polishers, that is they oscillate, not rotate. If this tool was scratching your car's finish, chances are very good it had to do with the bonnet, the product being used with the bonnet, or dirt already present in the process.

The action of the polisher wouldn't be the root-cause of the problem.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

So if one uses a good bonnet on a true clean surface, the cheapo machine could do a decent job?

Comment

No replies or reasons explained why a PC 100a is so much better than a cheapo machine. I musta asked a dumb question. Sorry

Comment

No, it's not a dumb question at all.

If you use a good bonnet or pad on a clean surface with an appropriate product you won't harm the finish. Whether you'll do any good or not depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

The subject comes up quite often. Here's one thread. Here's another.

Hope this helps.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
            No, it's not a dumb question at all.

If you use a good bonnet or pad on a clean surface with an appropriate product you won't harm the finish. Whether you'll do any good or not depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

The subject comes up quite often. Here's one thread. Here's another.

Hope this helps.

PC.
            Thanks for digging those two threads up Paul, especially the second one which I have moved to the Hot Topics forum as this question does come up often.

Here is the exact title of the above mentioned thread...

Rotary vs PC vs Regular Orbital Buffer

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thank you very kindly.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');