• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alloy wheels have lost their "Sparkle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloy wheels have lost their "Sparkle"

Could anybody advise me on how to clean/restore the finish on my alloys????
    I can just see a "sparkle"/flake in the paint, but I think too much acid has been used on them in the past; the paint is now dull, grey and lifeless.
    These are Vw wheels and should have a glint/flake.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CenzoTDI

Re: Alloy wheels have lost their "Sparkle"

Hi CenzoTDI,

Seeing this is your first post, Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by cenzoTDI
    Could anybody advise me on how to clean/restore the finish on my alloys????
    I can just see a "sparkle"/flake in the paint, but I think too much acid has been used on them in the past; the paint is now dull, grey and lifeless.
    These are VW wheels and should have a glint/flake.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CenzoTDI
    By your description of the coating on you wheels, have a clearcoated finish that has lost it's clarity. What you need to do is to restore clarity to the clearcoat finish and to do this you need to use a paint cleaner like ScratchX.

ScratchX

Get yourself a tube of this product and apply using a little passion behind your applicator pad. It will probably be best to remove each wheel from the car and place them on a bench of some sort to make it easier for you to work on them while doing a thorough job.

If the ScratchX approach does not work, then this would be an indicator that you either need a more aggressive product, which Meguiar's doesn't offer for working on clear coats by hand, or the damage is so bad that nothing is going to repair them except a new paint job.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thank you Mike, have been hooked on this site for week or so, love it!

2 strange side effects though, A) I keep wanting to clean my car!! B) I keep looking at the paint finish on every car I see!!

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');