• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mutiple coats of wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mutiple coats of wax

I use the tech-yellow wax. is there any benefit of applying mutiple coats? does it make the wax last longer? how long should I wait after applying the first coat before i apply the second coat? How long does the the wax last before I should remove and reapply wax.
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

is there any benefit of applying mutiple coats?
    Definitely in terms of ensuring total coverage of your car with product. Your mileage may vary when it comes to looks tho IMO.
    does it make the wax last longer?
    I dont think so.
    how long should I wait after applying the first coat before i apply the second coat?
    According to most you should wait a good 12-24 hours.
    How long does the the wax last before I should remove and reapply wax.
    As for how long it lasts, that depends on the product and even still it varies greatly from car to car, user to user, climate to climate, etc.

As for removing and reapplying wax, those are normal steps in the detailing process. After washing & claying, whichever cleaner product you use next will remove any wax that's on the vehicle.

Comment

Re: mutiple coats of wax

Originally posted by silence
      I use the tech-yellow wax. is there any benefit of applying mutiple coats? does it make the wax last longer? how long should I wait after applying the first coat before i apply the second coat? How long does the the wax last before I should remove and reapply wax.
      The general concensus here is 3 coats of wax is the maximun useful coverage. The main reason to multiple is to get complete coverage with no missed spots, depth of wax second. Will it last longer? Maybe, probably a little while longer. Wax endurance varies according to alot of variables mainly to do with amount of exposure to the elements and how harsh they are. Also different waxes last different lengths of time. How long to wait between coats? If its a natural wax (carnuaba based) you can recoat almost immediately. If its a synthetic wax/sealant you should wait for 12 hours between coats to let it set up and bond properly.
      It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to detail all of it.

Comment

Tech-yellow is carnuba based.
        2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Comment

Tech-yellow is Carnauba based.
          Actually, M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is a blended wax, not a wax based upon a single ingredient. Read the back label it actually states that it's a blended wax and one of the ingredients that is a part of the blend is Carnauba wax.

M26 is a great wax by the way, I see people talking about other waxes that cost $30.00, $40.00, $50.00, $60.00 and even ridiculously higher prices. All things being equal, (the paint you apply a wax to), I would put M26 up against any of them on black paint and bet you 99.9% of the population couldn't tell the difference between M26 and waxes costing much, much more.

For the most part, after you've done your prep work, for maximum protection and maximum appearance results, apply two thin coats, allowing each coat of wax to dry until it swipes clear and then remove. After the second coat of wax has been removed, stand back and admire the results and enjoy the car. Allow some time to go by for the wax to wear off and then replace with a fresh coat of wax. A fresh coat will re-fresh, or restore the paint to the previously achieved plateau for both protection and appearance. Follow this routine as a maintenance program and you car will always look brand new.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: mutiple coats of wax

Read this thread on layering, much of the information presented in the thread will answer your questions...

What's the deal with "Layering?"
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');