• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on a Subaru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on a Subaru

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i, I know, no pic. But it is Atlantic Blue if that helps the visualization.

Anyway, it has the stainless steel exhaust tips, that sort of trumpet open, not just a cylinder. Is it a good idea at all to use the Nxt Metal Polish on the trumpeted part, or just keep it on the outside? I am sure it wont ruin them if I did, but dont want a little mess either if it gums up or something. Or maybe it would look better if the inside stayed blacker, with the outside silver.

Also, with the way the windows roll up against the rubber gasket, not in a door frame, is there anything you guys have used to condition/moisturize the rubber with, without getting it all over the windows? Seems like even a white grease could leave a mess on the windows. Or does the rubber just seem to last?

Lastly, I dont have the 'mudflaps', or whatever they call them, installed, but thinking if it would be a good idea. Even minus a little bit of looks, with all the small stones, etc, kicking up, it might protect the paint some? Espeacialy on these Pittsburgh roads, even worse in the winter. Any thoughts from you guys if they work, or are worth it? Dont know if they really catch all the stones or not.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and opinions you have.
    Mat
    Last edited by Murr1525; Jul 1, 2005, 10:32 PM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

I personally wouldn't bother with polishing the inside of the exhaust. I too don't think it would hurt anything, but once you get on it a few times, it will be black again. I would stick with polishing just the outside, contrast is good.

With the rubber gaskets, I would roll the windows down, condition the rubber with Meguiars natural shine, #40 rubber. I use 303 aerospace. Then allow it to penetrate then gently wipe over the surface with a towel to absorb any extra product. That should keep it from leaving residue on the windows.

I am sure they help. I just re sprayed my wheel wells a while back because of rock damage. But the 285's I have in the back kick up rocks like crazy. Your choice, you can always take them off if you hate it.

Good Luck.

Comment

Hey, nice car. I have the pearl white.

A better choice is the bug guard instead of the mud flaps; because of the boxer engine the hood slopes a bit more, and the paint on the hood is really soft and the windshield is thin (to save weight). I've seen a lot of Subes come in with the the hood covered in stone chips and with the windshield starred (14 years at a Sube dealership).

For the exhaust tips, I do the outside and the "curl" of the tip, where it rolls inside. I let the rest go.

I use something called "Gummiphlege" (I don't know who makes it) for conditioning the rubber, but I haven't done it on the Sube yet. I'd guess that anything that keeps the rubber soft and also dries completely would work, though. Meg's #38 comes to mind.

Tom
      Last edited by Mosca; Jul 2, 2005, 08:29 AM.
      As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca
        ...[for the window seals]...I use something called "Gummiphlege" (I don't know who makes it) for conditioning the rubber, but I haven't done it on the Sube yet. I'd guess that anything that keeps the rubber soft and also dries completely would work, though. Meg's #38 comes to mind...
        I experimented with a number of products when I had the WRX (and hence this exact seal-on-glass contact issue).

The best method is to leave the doors open for a *long* time after applying and wiping off the excess after a few hours (leave 'em open even after doing that).

The best products for not transfering to glass were Wurth Rubber Care and Wurth's brand of "Gummi stick". The 1Z Gummi stick left more residue on the glass and so did the other "regular" ERV dressings I tried. The trick is that "dries completely" thing that Mosca mentioned- not exactly a true characteristic of most ERV treatments that I've tried.

Hope I haven't violated any MOL rules my mentioning other-brand products
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

Mosca, since the backs of the mufflers are kind of exposed under the bumper, so you do anything with them on your car? Or just use soap and water?

Comment

I let them be. I'm big and old, I don't bend down that far like I used to. If it's under the car, it doesn't get detailed (except the wheel wells).

What part of Pittsburgh are you from? It's my hometown. I grew up in Pleasant Hills and lived in Oakland for 11 years after that.

For great Subaru Legacy info, go to LegacyGT.com. It looks like it's down right now (7/3, 11:45AM). OCDetails posts there a lot, he's Jngrbrdman at Autopia and elsewhere. He's a guy with a LOT of knowledge. The forum isn't limited to "GT" stuff; most of the non-turbo information on interior and electrical and body is applicable to ALL Legacys.

Tom
            As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

I'm from Baldwin...

Thanks for the website, I'll be checking it out.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');