• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

detailing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detailing help

Hey all, im pretty new to detailing and need some advice. iv detaild my car 2 times and got it looking alot better then it was. i have a few scratches, some light oxidation on the hood, and endless deap swirl marks! iv tryed diffrent brand and ended up with the best, meguiars! so if anyone has some advice on what products to get and in what order i would greatly apriciate it!

My products: nxt car wash, quick interior detailer, natural shine vinyl & rubber protectant, nxt speed detailer, #9 swirl remover 2.0, deep crystal paint cleaner, #7 show car glaze, gold class liquid car wax, scratchx, plastx.

I was thinkin of using #9, paint cleaner, #7, Wax; in that order

I also have a random orbatal buffer, and i just got #9 have not used it yet.

swirl marks

Reflection on hood

my reflection on the hood

#9 is probably their mildest polish and not very effective at removing swirls. First completely wash and clay the car so you are not polishing dirt against the car. The next steps up in the world of polish are #80 and #83. I say go to the top, #83 and get some advice from Mike on how to do it here - http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=7034

After the polishing you need to protect the paint #7 is a good middle step for an extra deep shine and then NXT Tech Wax will help fill in the swirls you missed.

Comment

Hi wild_dog_86,

#9 is a very light/mild cleaner polish in which best results for removing below surface defects like swirls is by using a rotyar buffer. An orbital buffer is so ineffective at removing paint that it's mostly only good for applying or removing a wax on today's modern clear coats.

Here are two threads for you to check out...

Rotary vs PC vs Regular Orbital Buffer

You were close to making your photos show up, read the below thread and there are some pictures that will show you how to insert your images the right way... (Your were close, very close! )

How to put pictures into your posts
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Lot's of great information in these forums...

Meguiar's How-To Articles

Hot Topics

Meguiar's Automotive FAQ

Articles of Interest
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, looks like i need to get something a little more agressive for my swirls. well hopefully the pics work this time, thanx.

Comment

Cool the pics finaly worked! Sence i cat find #83 or anything stronger then #2 in my area, would i just be wasting time if i used #2? I guess what im asking is will #2 get rid of my swirls? or do i just need to order something like #83?

Comment

Originally posted by wild_dog_86
              Cool the pics finally worked! Since i cat find #83 or anything stronger then #2 in my area, would i just be wasting time if i used #2? I guess what I'm asking is will #2 get rid of my swirls? or do i just need to order something like #83?
              If you're going to try to remove these swirls using an orbital buffer, a tool that looks something like this,

Then to be honest with you, you're going to be more successfully using ScratchX by hand as these machines do not offer an aggressive enough polishing action to remove small particles of paint which is what you have to do in order to remove swirls.

The best most effective method would be to invest in a dual action polisher if you don't want to do your work by hand.

As far as the M02 Fine Cut Cleaner goes, we have recently changed the formula so that it can be used with an orbital buffer like the ones pictured above, you need to read the back label carefully and make sure the one you buy is the new formula, not the old formula.

The old formula will state that it is for application by rotary buffer only. The new formula will state that it is for application by hand, dual action polisher, orbital buffer and rotary buffer.

If you want, you can try using the M83 with an orbital buffer and it may work to remove the swirls, for best results you'll probably want to work small sections at a time and work each section thoroughly.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');