• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying waxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying waxes?

I placed an order for NXT Gen. Tech Wax and GC Wax to try both of them out (both in liquid form), this is going to be my first time applying wax to any car. I have tried looking in the forums for the correct manner to apply liquid wax, but haven't come across any specifics. I'm I suppose to apply in even circular motions? Or up and down motions? Apply the wax gently or put a little pressure behind it? The waxing will be done by hand using the Hi-Tech applicator pads. Sorry if this has been discussed a million times before, being my first time I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Any help is greatly appreciated. Awesome forum, I see myself learning alot down the road. Thanks again.

Ed.
    Last edited by EdJ; Jul 8, 2005, 05:46 PM.

first and foremost, to the Meguiars Online community

ok, the method in which wax is applied, circular vs straight line has been debated but at the moment there is no proven method to be better. When applying wax, it is mainly for protection and not to cleaning the paint or removing swirls; hence, you should apply light pressure but enough to apply the product evenly. Place a small amount of product onto your pad then apply it to your paint and make sure not to get any on the trim as it will leave a white residue on the trim which doesn't look good. if you do get any on the exterior trim, simply wipe it off. When applying the wax onto your paint, try to make it as thin as possible. There is no gain in applying a thick layer, you are only wasting product. The thin layer will make it easier to remove and you are using your product wisely. Apply it thinly to the entire vehicle and let it cure onto the paint, using the swipe test illustrated here you know when the remove the wax. just use a clean microfiber cloth and remove all of it. Congratulations, you have just finished aplying a layer a wax. If you would like to apply another layer, make sure you wait 24 hours between each layer as you need to let the wax harden. If the car is left outside, use a quik detailer to remove any dust that has landed itself on the vehicle before applying your second coat. But remember, after applying your second coat, additional coats of wax are not that noticeable. Good Luck!

Comment

As far as direction of waxing, any non-abrasive product will not leave marks on your paint no matter what direction you move. I like to go circular, even a little swirly, get it from all the angles I guess.

Meguairs consumer products usue diminishing abrasives, so even those abrasive products can be applied however you like with no bad affects. Part of this issue comes from people using poor quality products that leave behind marks, so it looks better to have all the marks going in one direction. It seems to me it is better to use a product that wont leave marks in the first place.

I am wondering if you are also using any paint cleaner, or polish as well? You will get even better effects from using these, and your wax will last longer as well, esp after using a cleaner. Cleaners and polishes can be applied the same way, just dont let them dry, remove the mright away. If you are short on time, ColorX is a good option, then use your Nxt and Gold Class to top it, and see which looks better to you.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');