• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sx

The stupid kittens keep walking on my car. My car is covered in a lot of dust, so when they slide on the paint, they leave behind nice little paw marks all over. So I was gonna use Scratch-X on these scratches to get rid of them. But I have some questions.

1. If I use SX on some spots, but not others, will the sections that I used on SX on look shinier than the rest of the car?

2. I just got done doing the DCS, so if I use SX, do I need to re-do the entire system, or can I just wax it after the SX?

or is there an easier way all together to remove these scratches?
    Last edited by roushstage2; Jul 10, 2005, 12:06 AM.

If you've already applied the Deep Crystal System, then it should be ok to apply SX to the scratches. I doubt these areas will stand out like a sore thumb from the rest of the finish, unless the car had a lot of oxidation to begin with.

I've seen times when after I had applied a cleaner, certain areas had to be re-cleaned with a something a little stronger, and it showed up to the point where I had to redo the entire finish with the stronger cleaner.

But you mainly see this problem on heavily oxidized single stage paint, and that was what I was working on at the time.
    r. b.

Comment

I agree with Rusty Bumper’s comments.

I’ve had claw scratches in clear coat that looked pretty bad (ten pound kitten) but were surprisingly easy to remove completely with ScratchX.

Now I cover the horizontal surfaces of that car with big terry cloth beach towels when the fierce beasts are prowling the garage.

PC.

Comment

Thanks Rusty Bumper and PC, you guys are always right there.

I'm glad I don't have to do the DCS again

Can I remove the SX with an orbital buffer w/ a terry bonnet?After I use SX, can I apply wax to the directly after or is there something I should do before?
        Last edited by roushstage2; Jul 10, 2005, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2
          Can I remove the SX with an orbital buffer w/ a terry bonnet?
          That's a good question no doubt, but I would recommend that you use a separate towel for this purpose, because if there are any leftover abrasives from SX then the buffer action might scour the finish.......Just my opinion here.

After I use SX, can I apply wax to the directly after or is there something I should do before?
          Since you've already polished you car with the DCS, then I would go straight to a wax after SX, but more polish will not hurt anything here either......It's a matter of personal preference.

Glad to be of help!
          r. b.

Comment

I'm gonna go get me some SX and have some fun.

Thanks

Comment

Confused!?

On the back of the SX tube, it says "Work one section at a time and let product dry before removing excess..." Do I let it dry or am I supposed to remove it before it drys. I thought the only things that were supposed to dry are the waxes?

Comment

Re: Confused!?

On the back of the SX tube, it says "Work one section at a time and let product dry before removing excess..." Do I let it dry or am I supposed to remove it before it drys. I thought the only things that were supposed to dry are the waxes?
                That's strange. I've never heard of this before!

I did a search and found this comment made by Mike...

Remember that Meguiar's paint cleaners, like ScratchX do not need to dry before removing. Drying adds no benefit. The only Meguiar's paint products that need to dry before removing are Meguiar's waxes.
                I've yet to use SX myself, but I always remove Meguiars cleaners before they dry.

Maybe Mike P. can help to clear this up a little better, since the bottle says to let SX dry before removing.
                r. b.

Comment

I seem to recall that the "ScratchX label thing" has come up before and that the label copy was a mistake. Letting ScratchX dry doesn't add anything helpful to the process. I guess it doesn't hurt though so the label isn't telling anything that will damage your paint.

Anyway, work it in with "passion" and then wipe it off before it dries.

I also seem to recall that they are hoping to get that fixed but apparently getting changes made to mass produced packaging requires and act of God. It may take a while.

You can use a bonnet to remove ScratchX but since you usually only do small areas and you remove it wet I find it easier to just use a towel by hand.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
                    I seem to recall that the "ScratchX label thing" has come up before and that the label copy was a mistake.
                    I also seem to recall that they are hoping to get that fixed but apparently getting changes made to mass produced packaging requires and act of God. It may take a while.

PC.
                    Not only that, but there are so many tubes out in the supply chain, and I don't think non-food retailers are any good at FIFO (first-in, first-out) inventory control.

Comment

Hey,

Yes, that was a label misprint. You need to work ScratchX until is is basically a light residue/dust. You need to put some real energy into the rubbing as it takes a fair bit for the diminishing abrasives to break down properly.

Cheers!

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Comment

Is it better to apply Scratch-X before or after the DCS?

EDIT: By DCS, I mean the cleaner and the polish, not the wax.

Comment

Hey,

Since ScratchX is more abrasive, it should be applied first followed by the DC.

Tim
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');