• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help!!! foam pad burning!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!!! foam pad burning!!!

hey guys, im having one little problem during my first detail

im using the g-100 and a 8006 foam pad, with the meguiars backing plate.... when applying #83 after finishing a section, i removed the pad from the backing plate and i noticed it was burning

the backing plate felt so hot and the pad was smoking and burned in the hole in the center, now the velcro is coming off ...

am i doing something wrong??? what can i do to prevent this???

i thought i was applying too much pressure, but when i did it again with less presurre it was the same

thank you for your input guys

I have done that with too high of speed and too much pressure./
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
      I have done that with too high of speed and too much pressure./
      ยด

i was in the 5 speed, so maybe my problem is using too much pressure???

Comment

Could be to much preasure. You should be using 4 to 5 pounds with 83. Also you want to make sure you are using enough product.
        I have done what you are describing in the past, not as bad, but similar. I was running at 6 and putting my weight into it.

Comment

ORRRRRRR-- you may have a defective DA!
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
            ORRRRRRR-- you may have a defective DA!

really??? how can check it is or isnt???

Comment

Hey,

The only time I have melted a backing plate was when I used speed 6. You should never go beyond speed 5. Since you said that you were using speed 5, either too much pressure is being used or your G100 may be defective, though that latter is extremely rare. Try using less pressure. You want the foam pad to depress but not flatten totally out.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                Hey,

The only time I have melted a backing plate was when I used speed 6. You should never go beyond speed 5. Since you said that you were using speed 5, either too much pressure is being used or your G100 may be defective, though that latter is extremely rare. Try using less pressure. You want the foam pad to depress but not flatten totally out.

Tim
                the backing plate did not melt, it was only hot, the pad was the one starting to melt

Comment

This is copied and pasted from something I posted earlier today...

~~~~~~~

Meguiar's never recommends using speed settings past the 5.0 setting on the dual action polisher because of the problem you experienced. The difference in heat generated and transfered between the 5.0 and 6.0 setting is fairly dramatic and combined with the violent oscillating action and time the adhesive used to hold on the Velcro to both the foam pads and the backing plates will fail.

Stay at the 5.0 setting for heavy cleaning. It will take a little longer but you won't ruin any pads this way.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by chevymaniaco
                    the backing plate did not melt, it was only hot, the pad was the one starting to melt
                    I realized that.

Strange... usually it is the backing plate that heats up from too high of speed or too much pressure. This heating of the backing plate can cause heat transfer to the pad. But like I said, strange as you said the backing plate was not hot.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by chevymaniaco
                      really??? how can check it is or isnt???
                      Did the G-100 get hot around the head & shaft?

If it needs lubrication then there could be some extra heat generated here.
                      r. b.

Comment

Ive melted a pad to the BP before. Speed 5 for me

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');