• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for suggestions before making the order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for suggestions before making the order

So I'm going to making some meg orders soon for items to use with the new DA polisher. I'm looking for suggestions on what to use on a few cars that I will be detailing that are less than 3 months old.

What professional grade products would you guys recommend for use utilizing the 5 step process on a new car with the DA.

I've gotten the clay and M26 Wax but am unsure what polishs/cleaners to use.

Let me know what you guys are using!
    I like to gather information.

herb,

I'd suggest getting some #80. It is probably my most used polish. #83 is great as well but only if you're working on severly swirled paint.

Chris
    Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Like Chris suggested, pick up a quart of the M80 Speed Glaze, it's very versatile and perfectly prepares the paint for application of wax.

You should also have on hand the below pads

2 each W-8006 Polishing pads for use with cleaner/polishes
      1 each W=9006 Finishing pad for applying wax

If you want to remove your wax using the dual action polisher then the W-7006 foam cutting pad works best because it's a stiffer foam than the other two pads and this works better under a bonnet for removing the wax. Then of course a couple of microfiber bonnets, our now comes in a 2-pack in the Gold Class Line
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I was looking at the M80 speed glaze as well. I'll go ahead and add that as it seems like that's mostly used. I wasn't sure if it would be better to go with like the M7 or M9 for the new cars? The M80 is used as a cleaner type polish as well right?

Comment

#80 and #9 are both cleaner/polishes. #7 is a pure polish.

I like #80 over #9, easier to use and more effective on swirls with the G-100.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
            #80 and #9 are both cleaner/polishes. #7 is a pure polish.

I like #80 over #9, easier to use and more effective on swirls with the G-100.

PC.

Wouldn't #9 still be the best choice if there are little to no swirls? I don't really want to take of excess clear coat if I really don't have to with the #80. I'm looking to detail one of my buddies newer cars this week and it's barely got any defects, if at all, in the paint.

Been on vacation so I'm just reading through the posts again. Already got an order in and it should be at my local shop by the end of the week. I picked up #9 and #80 with #26. I also picked up a few more MF's with WW towels also ordered some more last touch detailer. I've got my arsenal pretty full now.

Comment

Originally posted by herb
              Wouldn't #9 still be the best choice if there are little to no swirls? I don't really want to take of excess clear coat if I really don't have to with the #80. I'm looking to detail one of my buddies newer cars this week and it's barely got any defects, if at all, in the paint....
              Since you're getting both try them both and see what you think on your paint. The scale on the bottle might indicate that #9 is a little less aggressive than #80 but it's only an approximation. There are too many factors involved to have an absolute scale so you shouldn't be too concerned with one notch.

Also keep in mind that you can vary aggressiveness with application method, applicator material, speed, pressure, etc.

The great thing about #80 is that it is a pretty universal product. If you need it to be somewhat aggressive use a W-8006 Polishing Pad, crank the PC to 5 and use firm pressure. Need more? Rotary. Want less? Try less pressure, lower speed or a W-9006 Finishing Pad. Want practically no cutting but still want lots of oils? You can go by hand, light pressure (but I doubt I'd bother going that far with #80, it's quite mild).

Even at speed-5/W-8006/firm-pressure it's highly unlikely you'll take off excess clearcoat with #80 so I wouldn't worry. It's always wise to do a test spot and start with the least aggressive approach, working up in aggressiveness as needed.

PC.

Comment

^ ^ ^ What he said...

Try both in two sections next to one another, read the directions here for applying both the M80 and the M09 in the section that talks about applying the M80.

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Remember, products like these don't have to dry before you remove them, so have some microfiber polishing cloths on hand and remove the leftover residue after working it against the finish then apply our wax of choice. Waxes do have to dry however.

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');