• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on NXT usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on NXT usage

Recently I got hold of the NXT tech wax (liquid), and right now my wax procedure is 2x NXT followed by 2x S100 (each layer about a day apart) on my dark green and metallic blue rides.

My problem is right now, I think the appearance/shine of my rides are not what they used to be. Can I just do the usual 2xNXT+2xS100 or do I have to use a paint cleaner first to achieve the best results. thanks

Re: Question on NXT usage

Originally posted by tinman2
    Recently I got hold of the NXT tech wax (liquid), and right now my wax procedure is 2x NXT followed by 2x S100 (each layer about a day apart) on my dark green and metallic blue rides.

My problem is right now, I think the appearance/shine of my rides are not what they used to be. Can I just do the usual 2xNXT+2xS100 or do I have to use a paint cleaner first to achieve the best results. thanks
    HI tinman2,

Meguiar's always teaches people to evaluate the finish first, this will then guide you as to which product and procedures you need to use and follow in order to reach your car care goal.

If you car's finish is not looking as good as you know its potential holds, then after washing your car, inspect the finish for above bonded contaminants and below surface defects such as swirls, scratches, oxidation, staining, etc.

If you discover above surface contaminants, then you should clay the finish first before any other procedure.

If you discover your finish is dull or hazy, or has swirls and scratches then after claying you should use a paint cleaner.

After this you can polish with a pure polish as an optional step, or go right to wax.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thanks for the quick reply. Dark green and metallic blue. By the way, the finish is IMHO still in near perfect condition. What I mean is the shine/depth is not what it used to be when the wax was freshly applied and the slickness and beading is also gone. My query really centers on the reapplication of the NXT S100 combo. whether I have to use a chemical paint cleaner first or not. thanks again

Comment

Hey,

Just to add...

What you may be seeing is the result of taking your finish to the next level. Once you have become accustomed to seeing the paint in its present condition, one forgets what it may have looked like originally.

As to your question, I would use Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover to clean the surface and to add richness to the paint, then re-apply your NXT/S100 combo.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by tinman2
          thanks for the quick reply. Dark green and metallic blue. By the way, the finish is IMHO still in near perfect condition. What I mean is the shine/depth is not what it used to be when the wax was freshly applied and the slickness and beading is also gone.
          This is because nothing lasts forever. Not you nor I, nor a coat of wax. Wax is a sacrificial barrier coating intended to wear away and then be replaced.

After applying your LSP and then removing it and standing back and saying, it is finished, the results you have achieved will slowly, or quickly go downhill depending on how you take care of your car or the environment it is exposed to.

I think this is why some people think NXT Tech Wax doesn't last long is because it take a car finish to such a high level, higher than most waxes or paint protectant are able to, that when your results fall back, they fall back further because the Tech Wax took them so much further to start with. Most people don't understand this and just assume the wax didn't last long when in reality it's still on the finish, but just like any other wax, the appearance results it initially created have diminished. This is true of all waxes or paint protectant assuming all things are equal.

My query really centers on the reapplication of the NXT S100 combo. whether I have to use a chemical paint cleaner first or not. thanks again
          Meguiar's included a slight amount of some specialized cleaning agents in the NXT Tech Wax formula, two well applied applications of our NXT Tech Wax should help to restore the clarity, richness of color, gloss and reflectivity you enjoy from your car's finish.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks mike.
            2hotford, how should I use the #9, work it in thoroughly, or apply like a wax?

Comment

Hey,

Since #9 contains mild diminishing abrasives, I would work the product until it is a light residue/dust; then wipe off with a MF towel. On darker colors, I have found that #9 will add a lot of richness to the paint!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I would do half of the hood with NXT Tech Wax as the only LSP. Then do the other half with NXT topped with S100. Then compare the results over a few weeks. It could be that the S100 is diminishing the look of the NXT. S100 is a great carnauba wax, but maybe it is not compatible with NXT.

You should use the NXT Speed Detailer and the Spray Booster Wax for maintenance.

RamAirV1
                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Will do RamairVI. 1/3 AIO NXT; 1/3 AIO NXT S100; 1/3 AIO/SG. will post results later.

Comment

Just to note, products like P21S don't add any richness of color to the results NXT can produce. P21S can add gloss to paint, but it will not increase clarity or richness of color that the NXT Tech Wax will create. Same goes for our M16 Professional Paste Wax, it will add gloss, but it will not improve upon the results in clarity and richness of color a product like NXT Tech Wax will create.

I once did a side-by-side test on black paint, (the true test of all polishes and waxes), and the owner was simply amazed as were about 20 other people standing around watching.

Here's what happened, at a Mercedes-Benz clinic, a young man sold on P21S brought his black Mercedes-Benz to one of our Saturday Detailing Clinics having just washed the car and then waxed it the night before using P21S.

He pulled it into our garage and everyone admired the finish as it did look good. I then asked him if what he wanted out of his black Mercedes-Benz was the clearest, darkest, richest in color, most reflective black paint possible. He said "Yes".

I went into my office and grabbed a plastic jar of P21S and then did a side by side appearance demonstration of P21S against M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax, Gold Class Liquid Wax and NXT Tech Wax.

What I did was apply each wax in a row across his hood so everyone could look down on the results and compare them to surrounding paint.

I applied a small amount of each wax in a small circle shape about 5 inches in diameter, or a little larger than one of our Hi Tech Applicator wax pads. I applied a thin coat of each and allowed each product to dry and then removed them using a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth. Everyone was then encouraged to look at the different results each wax produced.

The three Meguiar's products make the black paint darker, deeper, more clear and more reflective. It was very easy to see where they were applied as their appearance was noticeable compared to the paint surround each area which is paint that was waxed with P21S the night before.

The area we applied the P21S there was no difference, that is you could not tell we applied any wax to the paint. Another way of saying this is the P21S did nothing to add more beauty to the paint, as in it did not make the black paint darker, more clear, deeper or richer in color.

This is what I said would happen before the demonstration and this is exactly what did happen.

P21S was given a boost in awareness by a wax test performed a couple of years ago and presented to be some kind of great wax when it's really not all that special. In fact our M16 Professional Paste wax looks, feels, smells very similar to this product and produces very similar results, by this I mean it would not have improved the previously created results the P21S produced the night before on this black Mercedes-Benz. M16 will create gloss, but it won't add the clarity and richness of color products like NXT Tech Wax, M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax, or Gold Class Wax will create.

I don't want anyone to think I'm picking on P21S, as I'm not, I'm just trying to explain its capabilities and limits in the same way I just explained M16 Professional Paste Wax's limits and capabilities.

The biggest different between M16 Professional Paste Wax and P21S is the price per ounce where M16 is about $11.00 for an 11 ounce can the P21S averages $35.00 for about 6 ounces.

What's even more interesting is the very first time I used P21S, I immediately noticed how similar it is to our M16 Professional Paste wax, a wax Meguiar's introduced in 1951.

I then wondered if I could pick up on the similarities so easily and quickly, why couldn't the people that did the wax test? In this test, P21S ranked in the number #2 position and M16 ranked in the #26 position. How could they have been rated so far apart when they appear to be so very similar?

Also after reading years of threads about these two products being compared to one another on Autopia, the general consensus is that M16 and P21S provide the same kind of look, but M16 lasts much longer.

That all said,

If you like the look of your car's finish after applying P21S over two coats of NXT Tech Wax then by all means continue with this combination. Like I always say, "Find something you like and use it often".

If you find a product you like, then apparently the results look good in your eyes, if you use it often, then your finish will always look great. It's only when you begin to neglect or abuse the finish that it goes down hill.

An interesting test would be to test the appearance results of P21S over NXT versus either M26 or Gold Class Wax. Black is the best color to do tests like this, but you might be able to see the differences on your car's dark green and metallic blue rides.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hey Mike, I've tried standalone S100 vs standalone NXT and I concur with you that NXT is better. Although I think that there was a little improvement IMO if I top NXT with S100 and partially maybe because at the back of my mind I am thinking that I am adding more protection for my paint.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');