• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(One more) Crystal System question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (One more) Crystal System question

Hey again,

I used the Deep Crystal system yesterday, and have been pretty impressed with the shine, it didn't make a huge difference, but I wash/wax my car a couple times a week in the summer, and even in the winter try to keep it fairly clean, with at least a couple waxes between Nov-March. So the paint's pretty smooth/reflective already.

I was wondering, would all the wax (Gold Class until last spring when I discovered NXT) I've put on my car put a barrier between the cleaning and polishing of steps one and two?

Also, now that (thanks to this board) I know how to use Scratch-X properly, it REALLY works well. Very impressed!

DA
    Last edited by dcn; Jul 13, 2005, 01:32 PM.
    '87 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 Wagon
    '05 Mazda 3

The wax that you put on will wear off in the weather, so it isnt as if you have 20 layers of wax on your paint. A quailty carwash like Meguiars will not remove wax, but the claying and paint cleaning steps are meant to remove anything on and below the surface, including wax. So keep in mind that once your clean the paint, it is unprotected.

You didnt mention if you clayed your paint at all or not, if not, that really takes the results to another level.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I didn't clay the paint, but reading (and seeing) some of the stuff on this site tonight has convinced me. It's really idiot proof, yes? just spray and rub and once there's friction spray again? I shouldn't even ask since the must be a tutorial on here, but just in case..

So I washed with Deep Crystal wash (pink bottle), chamoised, Scratch-X'd a few spots, cleaned, polished, then NXT'd. Off this weekend though, so I think I'll spend Friday doing it over again, throwing a claying into the mix. Should I see any benefit if I step 1 and 2 again?

Also my fiancee just bought a velocity red metallic Mazda 3, I've washed and waxed it with Meguiar's only, shold I bother claying, cleaning and polishing this early in the car's life?

Thanks
      '05 Mazda 3

Comment

The Quick Clay is ridiculously easy to use, you wont have a problem, with what you already know. Just check the clay once in a while, and when it is dirty, sort of fold it in on inself, and get clean clay again. Also, cut the clay ito 3 or 4 pieces. Probably 4, casue you cant drop it. I have even worked over a piece of newspaper incase I dropped it, and you will, and it could be saved.

Claying a brand new car is the best time to do it, dont even let the stuff settle onto the surface. And while I am sure your vehicle isnt too bad, it might be easier to learn on the cleaner surface. I clayed my car when it was a month old, couldnt find the clay near me easily, and it was night and day on a new car. Took off a load of dirt, and made the surface look freshly waxed. And then I cleaned and waxed it.

It would probably be good to do step one and two again, no need for ScratchX. I think everyone on this forum is tired of hearing from everyone else that ColorX is a great product for saving a step on daily drivers, and topped with NXT looks quite good. I certainly use it.

To be honest, I'd probbaly do you fiance's car first, and save yours for next week or something, why redo all your work two days later, unless you really want to. Plus the bonus points... ah yes, the bonus points...

Comment

Yeah, don't forget the bonus point, those things are GOLD..

I don't have any shots yet of either car after Step 1 or 2, but here's a couple of each after NXT:

Here's mine:

(bling is natural, not photoshopped... left one is my Dad's, he's the reason I've saved God knows how much in labour costs.. car guy extrodinaire..)

Hope that's not too many pics, and if you hate my aerodynamic-as-a-brick car keep it to yourself, it's a rolling ATM it's so reliable...

[Actually if you look at that shot of the back it looks like it's got a built in ATM, rather appropriate I think.. I loves my sled!]
          Last edited by dcn; Jul 13, 2005, 09:07 PM.
          '05 Mazda 3

Comment

Vehicles look good! You "aerodynamic-as-a-brick car" as you call it looks very good, very clean looking and no rust, that is amazing?!?! What year is it?
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

It's a 1987. I love it. I don't know how much money this thing's saved me between burning no gas and being super reliable. Just don't know if I put all the $ back into Meguiar's or not..

Their stuff is all I've ever used, I think I saw an ad on Speedvision (back when it was called that) in 01 when I got it and thought I'd try their stuff out. I'm conviced they're the reason it looks like it does. The rest is history as they say..

I just had to put two new fenders on it, I don't think they match perfect, but they're pretty good. Seem a tough light though. Don't have any pics of them till tomorrow.

Thanks for your positive comments gb387!

Two more, then I'm done for now.

I polished the factory wheels, still trying to convince the other half to let me do the same to hers.

dcn
              '05 Mazda 3

Comment

Cars look great, espeaccially considering the weather they deal with. The car at the next house down looks like it needs touched up as well...

I wanted to add on about claying, you can clay your paint, wheels, and windows, etc. Generaly, the order would be paint, trim, then windows, then wheels, dont want to bring brake dust up onto your paint.

No need to dry the car before claying, and some people wash the car again after claying, though I just give it a heavy rinsing, then dried. I guess if you were pulling lots of dirt off, etc, then washing again may be good.

Comment

You just saved me bunch of time saying I didn't have to dry the car before claying.. Hope I would have thought of that one but I am rookie at that.

MY wheels aren't painted, they're just polished, claying thm wouldn't do anything would it? I could see on the Mazda though..
                  '05 Mazda 3

Comment

Originally posted by dcn
                    It's a 1987. I love it. I don't know how much money this thing's saved me between burning no gas and being super reliable. Just don't know if I put all the $ back into Meguiar's or not..

Their stuff is all I've ever used, I think I saw an ad on Speedvision (back when it was called that) in 01 when I got it and thought I'd try their stuff out. I'm conviced they're the reason it looks like it does. The rest is history as they say..

I just had to put two new fenders on it, I don't think they match perfect, but they're pretty good. Seem a tough light though. Don't have any pics of them till tomorrow.

Thanks for your positive comments gb387!

Two more, then I'm done for now.

I polished the factory wheels, still trying to convince the other half to let me do the same to hers.

dcn

VERY NICE !!!....what did you use to polish the wheels ?...they look fantastic !!...(how do you like the sun shade ?....haven't gotten one yet but thinking about it.)
                    Bill Poirier
                    West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Thanks! I just used some sort of metal polish that my dad has. It's like pink peanut butter textured stuff.

At first though we stripped off the paint and then used a drill and pad to clean 'em up. That was last year. Obviously I take 'em off in the winter for my snow wheels/tires, which are painted factory grey.

I wash my car a ton, so each time I just use the separate sponge that I have for cleaning my side walls/wheels, and dip it in the bucket I used to do the rest of the car. Do that as the last step though. Once every couple weeks I use the Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner to get the stuff in the lug holes and around the 'Toyota' logo in the centre caps.

They really should have some protectant of some sort on them but they don't. Everything wipes right off so far. If I can find some of the new Metal Polysh 'round here I'll try that. I ordered an NHRA hat the other day and had to pay $25(!!!!) extra on it because of customs. Gonna hold off ordering stuff from the US for a while..

Are there any CDN Meguiar's dealers on the net?
                      '05 Mazda 3

Comment

TKDDAD, I like the sun shade, it really keeps the car from baking inside, plus it's got to be easier on the padding and stuff so it doesn't dry out or whatever. I've got a black interior so it really ***** up the heat. I'd recommend getting one if for no other reason than to help protect the inside of your car.
                        '05 Mazda 3

Comment

thnx dcn....my interior is also black and it's been brutal this summer with several days over 90 so this is on my list to get this weekend...thanks for the feedback !
                          Bill Poirier
                          West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');