• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help botched sap removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help botched sap removal

Promised my son a wax & sap removal on his 1st new ride (not necessarily in that order)

Tried all my Meguiar’s gear (I’m a long time user) & this stuff had to be the damdest sap I’ve ever encountered.
    Long story short I decided (apparently not in infinite wisdom) to give a gentle touch of rubbing compound.
    Ackkkkkkkk not the best idea on black paint.

Pulled out the ole fail safe scratch X & it was a no go either.
    I feel like hell, wrecked my own sons ride.
    Short of repainting the trunk & hood anyone have any ideas?
    I’m personally stumped as they are such light surface scratches scratch X should have gotten them out. I’ve been successful with it on worse.

ok my jeep had some swirl marks in from a previous attempt with compound to remove some scratches. This is what i did. I clayed the area with clay and QD then i used scratchx however i had to work it very well. That means keep rubbing until the scratchx goes clear then apply more x and rub until it goes clear then use a microfiber to buff. Then apply some polish and wax. If you go to my thread.
    http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=7208
    and look at the second group of pics you see a befor and after. Goodluck
    Only in a Jeep

Comment

Thanks I’d been looking at those shots last night actually.
      Not to shabby results there. Will try the claying.

Comment

Hey,

Removing sap can be a real problem. Light misting sap can usually be removed with Meguiar's Quik Clay. Big dried on globs of sap need to be treated differently. One trick is to use an ice cube and hold it on the sap. This will temporarily harden the sap, making it brittle. Then just pick off the glob with your finger nail being extra careful on the surrounding paint. Or you could use rubbing alcohol, WD-40, or very carefully - mineral spirits to remove the glob of sap. Just avoid the paint as much as possible. Then wash and re-wax the area.

What kind of rubbing compound did you use? Meguiar's stronger compounds all require the use of a rotary buffer as they need the heat/friction to break down the diminishing abrasives properly. If you use them by hand, they will haze the surface. Your son's paint may need someone experienced in using a rotary buffer to remove this haze.

But before we get to that point, here is a link to the proper application of Meg's ScratchX

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Following the link's advice, give that a try. It may take a few applications with some REAL energy, but it may remove the haze.

If not, then you may have to look for detailer with a rotary buffer.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks Tim. It hazed it all right & then some.
          Good thing you mentioned gobs vs. mist. His are good sized gobs.
          Picked up a clay bar but I try the wd40 1st now that you filled me in.

Comment

The compound was just the standard red readily available kind; old T Wax the other ½ had lying around.
            Did a test on my car just to see & it sure didn’t wreck my paint (then again I swear Nissan uses the best)
            Convinced me never to buy black if nothing else.

Comment

Did you get all of the tree sap off?

I've never had big gobs, just the mist, and I found clay to work the best for me. Try Clay Magic available at auto parts stores or the Overspray Clay, which you can get at a PBE.

With that much of an area to remove swirls from, I would get a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher, also known here as a DA, ($100 at Loew's) and some #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Get some yellow foam polishing pads for it from Meguiars. You may want to try either some #2 which has been reformulated for DA polisher use or some #80 Speed Glaze before the #83. It is best to start with the least aggressive cleaner and move up from there. But it sounds like you may need the #83. Mosca has a thread here somewhere that does a great job of showing how to use it. If you use the #83, then follow it up with #80. Using a machine will be much quicker and deliver better results than you can possibly get by hand.

Scratch X can deliver good results but you will find it very time consuming. I save it for small area touch ups.

And don't worry about using the DA, it will not scratch the paint when used with the Meguiars pads.

RamAirV1
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Re: Help botched sap removal

Originally posted by rockkid
                I’m personally stumped as they are such light surface scratches scratch X should have gotten them out. I’ve been successful with it on worse.
                Could be the paint is very hard. Removing a scratch or lots of scratches means removing paint. If the paint is very hard then removing the scratches will be very difficult.

Here's an article that discusses this...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');