• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car - Scuffed / Scratched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car - Scuffed / Scratched

Been scouring the board doing some homework due to some bad luck with my new black Nissan Altima that I have brought out to California from Michigan.

Aside from a couple minor very fine scratches that were put in during the transport / first wash / etc, I have one major problem that seems to have just popped up out of nowhere -- a light scuff over the driver side door. The odd thing is that it doesn't appear to be from a foreign object (another car / etc) or it is very fine since I cannot feel it above the surface of the paint when I rub my finger over it. I have attached a few images -- One showing it in normal light and one in bright light.

My primary concern is this scuff, and I plan to attack the minor surface scratches through the methods detailed in this website. If any experienced readers can review the following procedure I plan to use, and offer advice, please do:

(1) Good thorough wash using two buckets and Gold Class or NXT wash. Probably use a chenille pad for the wash. Dry using a waffle weave water magnet since I don't like chamois. Let dry a few minutes.

(2) Here, I plan to use Scratch X on the scuff and few scratches that I have identified to more or less spot treat them. Since the car is new, there doesn't seem to be much else corrupting the surface to require a clay bar or deep crystal paint cleaner. I would try the clay bar on the scuff, but it doesn't seem to be raised as I mentioned. Apply Scratch X with hi tech applicator pad and remove with supreme shine towel or ultimate wipe. Move on to next step.

(3) I'm contemplating whether or not to polish??? I'm leaning more towards yes after reviewing the 5 step procedure and since the car is black.

(4) NXT paste wax. Apply with hi tech pad. Remove with supreme shine or ultimate wipe.

(5) After future washes maintain with quik wax upkeep spray. And keep some quik detailer handy in vehicle if i notice anything while out.

Any suggestions / comments? I think I've got a pretty good handle from reading the board, but wanted to see what people thought of my specific issue. Particularly the polishing question and Scratch X vs clay bar for the scuff question.

Finally, can I wash my MF towels, MF ultimate wipes and waffle weave together? I cant tell if the waffle weave is MF? Also, if you wash towels used for washing / waxing together do they all come out crispy clean so you can use them for whatever next time?

Thanks for reading. This scuff is just pssssing me off. The board is great, lots of good info.

-Ryan

You probably will want to look into claying the car after washing. Really can make a big difference, even on a new car, and might get any other debris away from that scuff. It really isnt a matter of vs, doing both is good.

As far as applying ScratchX, you may find you get better results by using a bit of terry cloth, as it will add a little extra bite. You may need 3 -4 applications, but you should get the results you want before moving on to polishing, etc.

Polishing a car always helps it shine, once you get the look you want from the scratchx, certainly give it a polish.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: New Car - Scuffed / Scratched

Originally posted by Bo Kimble

(2) Here, I plan to use Scratch X on the scuff and few scratches that I have identified to more or less spot treat them. Since the car is new, there doesn't seem to be much else corrupting the surface to require a clay bar or deep crystal paint cleaner. I would try the clay bar on the scuff, but it doesn't seem to be raised as I mentioned.
      ScratchX should work fine for this, remember 2-3 applications with a little passion behind the pad. Most of the people that attend our Saturday clinics make comments to the effect that after watching me work the product, that they feel they have not been use the product correctly in that they don't work it against the finish with enough pressure or long enough to make the product turn clear, almost to the point of disappearing on the surface but not quite disappearing and always having a liquid film on the surface.

As Murr1525 recommended, if you have not clayed this car, then that would be a good first step after washing. Best case scenario is your paint is completely clean and free of above surface contaminants, worst case scenario is somewhere along the time frame of when you drove the car off the dealer lot to where it is now your car has accumulated some kind of ASBC's that were float in the air.

(3) I'm contemplating whether or not to polish??? I'm leaning more towards yes after reviewing the 5 step procedure and since the car is black.
      It's a step that can take your car's final results to a higher level that you might not otherwise ever notice at the end of the process. Done correctly, it's a fairly fast process as you're not trying to remove defects, instead you are simply applying a thin coating of polish and then wiping it off. The most important thing to do when polishing newer cars is avoiding getting polish on trim and into cracks and crevices. For the most part, when applying products to newer cars, come close to these areas, but not alway the way to them. By focusing on coming close to them you will often times accidentally come up to them. If you focus on coming up to them, you will accidentally go over them. See the difference? It's measured in millimeters.

(4) NXT paste wax. Apply with hi tech pad. Remove with supreme shine or ultimate wipe.
      The most important things to remember when applying the NXT Tech Wax paste is to apply a thin coating and to spin or twist your applicator pad in the can, acting to liquefy the wax in the can and enabling it to saturate into the pad before applying. Don't even think about scooping portions of it out and trying to spread it out.

(5) After future washes maintain with Quik wax upkeep spray. And keep some Quik detailer handy in vehicle if i notice anything while out.
      Very good idea, keep some clean microfiber in the car too for use with the quick detailer.

Any suggestions / comments? I think I've got a pretty good handle from reading the board, but wanted to see what people thought of my specific issue. Particularly the polishing question and Scratch X vs clay bar for the scuff question.
      My dad always taught me to do it right the first time so I wouldn't have to do it a second time.

Wash
      Clay
      Clean
      Polish
      Wax
      Maintain.

Finally, can I wash my MF towels, MF ultimate wipes and waffle weave together?
      Yes. Use the hot water setting and a quality laundry detergent, dry in the dryer without fabric softeners.

I cant tell if the waffle weave is MF?
      If it's ours, then yes it is and you can wash it with your other microfiber cloths.

Also, if you wash towels used for washing / waxing together do they all come out crispy clean so you can use them for whatever next time?
      We do at Meguiar's in our Training Garage and I do at home in the Phillips garage.

Thanks for reading. This scuff is just pssssing me off.
      Let us know how it goes, perhaps take an after picture to share on the forum. If the ScratchX does not work then we can escalate this to a higher level.

The board is great, lots of good info.

-Ryan
      Thank you for the kind words, now that you're in California, perhaps you could attend one of our Saturday Detailing Classes? We have people drive from as far away as Utah, Nevada and San Francisco, we've had people that have attended from the Philippines, Singapore and England.

There are two classes coming up in August that don't look like they'll be full. At the top of this page is a text button that reads, Calendar, click on this and then navigate to August.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks! I'll keep the tips in mind and once I've settled and everything I'll look to attend a class.

One more thing -- I've pretty much decided that my biggest problem with cleaning my car is water supply availability and by that, I mean, I'll be living in an apartment so will not have hose, etc. So as far as I can see I have two options: (1) Find a reputable hand wash facility (2) Take my car to a self-serve wash facility but at these places you only get about 4 mins of water time for a few bucks which doesn't give enough time to do a thorough job, even with a few goes at the machine.
        Any recommendations for this situation? Or can anyone recommend a reputable hand wash facility in Los Angeles? (maybe better off as a new topic) I'm used to having a hose and such at home, but now in L.A. it seems water is of scarce supply.

Thanks,
        Ryan

Comment

Some people will take along pre-mixed buckets of their own water from home, so that you only have ot use your quarters for the initial and final rinse. The good thing is that you can give your wheelwells and undercarriage a good hosing off then, until your first quarters run out, then wash at your own pace, then rinse again last.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');