• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement for Autoglym Resin Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for Autoglym Resin Polish

I have just recently had my bmw resprayed in metallic black with gold glitter through it and the alloys resprayed in gold with glitter running through them. I have been told not to use any WAX product on it and am therefore using the Autoglym Super Resin Polish. I have heard of a Meguiars product that offers a mirror like finish but does this contain wax or is it a pure polish? Hope you can advise.....many thanks!!

RobMob

Re: Replacement for Autoglym Resin Polish

Originally posted by robmob
    I have just recently had my bmw resprayed in metallic black with gold glitter through it and the alloys resprayed in gold with glitter running through them. I have been told not to use any WAX product on it and am therefore using the Autoglym Super Resin Polish. I have heard of a Meguiars product that offers a mirror like finish but does this contain wax or is it a pure polish? Hope you can advise.....many thanks!!

RobMob
    Hi robmob!.....Welcome to the forum.

#80 Speed Glaze is the best product that I know of for a just painted car.......It offers a breathable polymer protection to boot.

Speed Glaze provides paint shop safe protection. Removes light to moderate swirls, oxidation and paint defects. Restores a glistening “new paint” shine. Versatile – can be used with a rotary buffer (wool or foam pad), D/A polisher, orbital or by hand. Easy, low dusting wipe-off.
    r. b.

Comment

Re: Replacement for Autoglym Resin Polish

Originally posted by robmob
      I have just recently had my BMW resprayed in metallic black with gold glitter through it and the alloys resprayed in gold with glitter running through them. I have been told not to use any WAX product on it and am therefore using the Autoglym Super Resin Polish. I have heard of a Meguiar's product that offers a mirror like finish but does this contain wax or is it a pure polish? Hope you can advise.....many thanks!!

RobMob
      Hi RobMob,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

This is a case of everyone means something different by the words they use...

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a paint protectant, or wax by any other name.

Or you could say it like this,

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a wax, or paint protectant by any other name.

It is a product meant to coat and seal the finish to protect it. Somewhere on this forum I explain how you can take any product, disregard the words on the label that describe and then determine what it is by plugging it into one of the 5-steps in Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle .

The Autoglym Super Resin Polish fits into the 4th step, the Protection Step, regardless of what the words on the label say or what someone tells you.

It sounds like your painter has told you not to wax the fresh paint for a certain amount of day, usually 30 days.

Some painters tell you to never wax the paint because they don't trust that you'll use a good product and you'll screw up their hard work, so they simply tell people to use nothing and wash with plain water. This is bad advice also as a quality car wash adds lubricity to the washing process.

What he's telling you to do is to use a product that is safe for fresh paint, that would be any product that doesn't seal the paint, as in a paint protectant no matter what the product is called, or what people tell you about it.

In the Meguiar's line, that would be some of the pure polishes in our Professional Line like this product.

M-81 Hand Polish

Read through this article especially the section on polishes...

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

And then read through this article and it will explain your new paint job and why painters recommend not applying wax for a certain number of days...

Paint Needs To Breathe
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Speed Glaze would be another good choice and is a popular choice for fresh paint because it contains a special polymer for a little protection while still being completely safe for fresh paint.

Either M80 or M81 would be a good choice until the time limit is up and then apply a wax of your choice.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Wouldnt #5,#7,and Deep Crystal #2 also work.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A
            Wouldn't #5,#7,and Deep Crystal #2 also work.
            This is from our FAQ over on www.meguiars.com

Here's the link to the question on the FAQ and below it the answer,

Aftermarket / refinish paint jobs continue to cure for two to three months after being sprayed onto the finish. During this curing time paint manufactures recommend NOT to apply a "wax" or "protectant" to the finish. This is because solvents and other volatile paint components are still evaporating out of the paint.

However, you can safely use many of Meguiar's washes and polishes during this curing period on fresh paint without fear of causing any damage. Many of Meguiar's polishes are wax and silicone free, and will not seal the surface of the finish. This means the paint can continue to properly cure throughout the recommended curing period.

Meguiar's fresh paint safe polishes

M-03 Machine Glaze
            M-05 New Car Glaze
            M-07 Show Car Glaze
            M-09 Swirl Remover
            M-80 Speed Glaze
            M-82 Swirl Free Polish
            M-81 Hand Polish
            A-21 Deep Crystal Polish

Just a note, this new paint job shouldn't have any defects as in swirls. Of course this depends on whether or not they machine buffed it and if they did... how they machine buffed it.

M80 is a light cleaner polish that does contain a diminishing abrasive but can be safely applied by hand or with a dual action polisher which will give the effect of applying a pure polish with a little synthetic polymer paint protection.

I didn't want to confuse this member as this was his first post to our forum so I tried to keep it simple. Actually the simplest thing he he could do would be to purchase a bottle of the Deep Crystal Polish as it's available just about anywhere for a suggested prices of around $5.00 It's very easy to work with and safe for fresh paint.

Deep Crystal Polish

Just a note, this new paint job shouldn't have any defects as in swirls. Of course this depends on whether or not they machine buffed it and if they did... how they machine buffed it.

An example of doing it the wrong can be seen in this thread where the owner of a Mercedes-Benz had it painted by a reputable shop. The paint looked great till he washed it a few times then the swirls instilled by the incorrect use of a rotary buffer became visible.

Horrendous Swirls in a Brand New Paint Job
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I like the protection that #80 gives.

I remember in days past when all I did was to wash a newly painted area.

But since the paint was new, fresh & soft, it was easier to etch from bird bombs.

Last year, I used #80 every week or so (After the hood was repainted) until the paint cured, and now I have nice hard finish with no etching so far........Just my experience here.
              r. b.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');