• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP - I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - I'm confused

Hi to everybody
    I just joined this forum because I hope that someone can take away the confusing about the whole detailing think. (I am just talking about paint right now).
    I have always tried to take care of my cars, and I think that they always looked good.
    But recently I made a “big mistake” and bought a PC.
    This made me look into the different products available for my new machine. Oh boy, was I confused.
    To reduce the confusion, I decided to go with Meguiar products as much as possible. It seems they have a wide variety and I can pick up some things even locally.

Now, even with this product line it is hard to get a basic garage supply without having questions.
    I would like to use machine products as much as possible because it easier for me (I’m not getting any younger).
    I have put together a spreadsheet of what I think would be the essentials on supplies and detailing work to be done.
    Could you please look over it and see if you agree with me?

In case you wonder why I want to do a synthetic wax first and then an organic one, I found this on my research and it is supposed to give it the extra glow, along with the more durable polymer coat.

There are also a few fields with ??; here I just don’t know if there is a Meguiar product.
    Thanks everyone for the input! :

Adolf

Well, I hope I don't confuse things more. There are actually more Meg's products than you list for those types, but let me fill in the ??? for you first. As far as the "Pure Wax--Synthetic", that would be NXT, #20, or #21. Oops...I see you have 20 & 21 in the cleaner category...they really aren't. The "Cleaner Wax--Carnauba" would be the A12 Cleaner Wax in the maroon bottle, or the #6 Cleaner Wax in the Mirror Glaze line, although these are mixtures of several types of wax/protectant, including carnauba.

You might also want to consider adding the Quick Clay (white) which is available in some chain stores. The A10 (Body Scrub) and A30 (DC1) are chemical cleaners that will be better on oxidation and stains than on scratches.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Adolf,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I've written an article on using the dual action polisher to remove swirls which also includes the products you need to do the complete job. If you don't have swirls and scratches then you can just start out at the M80 Speed Glaze step.

Here's the link,

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Here's another article on the products you need to take care of a new car, or of a car that you've restored the finish on...

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

Between these two article you should be able to put together a collection of products that works for you.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

To help you with your chart, read the below two articles,

What are the Differences Between Meguiar's Waxes

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you Mike and Mike!
          I looked quickly at the links and the seem to have a lot of info.
          So, before I ask more questions, I will read thru them first.
          I have been looking on this forum for a few days now, but I seem to have missed the important things.

Thanks again!

Comment

Adi,

I wish I could add something but I am way to new at using all the new products available today. The ol' days was just washing, waxing and using Armoral (not using it anymore I may add).

Your matrix Idea looks good to me also because I had posted a question to Mike a few weeks back and, if there was anything like your matrix in existance for the Consumer line products. As it turnns out, there is not one (yet). It is a great tool and I plan on doing it for the Consumer Line similar to yours (with Mike's review prior).

I would like to suggest adding something to yours since it is addressing the Pro Line using the DA, and that would be to identify which Polishing Pads/bonnets to use with the products you identify. Just a suggetion. Besides, it would help me too!!
            Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Theres always something to miss, or that you didnt think of.. But you have the big picture, so you are off to a good start. I am sure it is in the articles Mike provided, but I will just mention one otr two points...

#80 and #83 will be you main products with the PC.. the yare both cleaner/polishes. #80 is mild, while #83 is a little more agressive for when needed.

None of Meguairs waxes are pure organic, all are at least slightly blended. Some are pure synthetic, however.

You mentioned beoth profesional clays... It is often best to stick with the Consumer quick clay, or the mild profesional clay. The agressive profesional clay can leave marks if you arent familiar with it.

Dont be afraid to use consumer line products as well. Many even work good with the PC, if you have a favorite or two there.

Anyway, hope this helps, and certainly ask about any other questions.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, I will add the pad to it according to a chart (i think it is from Mike) I found in this forum.
                Right now I am still reading into the liks I got to make my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Adi
                  I have been looking on this forum for a few days now, but I seem to have missed the important things.

Thanks again!
                  We are slowly creating a huge data base of solid information when it comes to all dimensions of detailing cars, as the volume of information grows, it can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

To help with this, I created a forum called, The Information Station, which has a few sub-forums in it where there can be found a lot of meaty information, as a primer for newbies and even experienced detailers too...

Lot's of great information in these forums...

Main Forum

Information Station

Sub-Forums

Meguiar's How-To Articles
                  Lots of great reading in this forum

Hot Topics
                  Lots of great reading in this forum

Meguiar's Automotive FAQ
                  The popular one in the above forum is Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Articles of Interest

Misinformation
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks to Mike and everybody else here.
                    The articles listed above have helped me to more clearly understand what each of the care products are and what to use them for.
                    Below is my new list I came up with, which is of course my personal choice and is not necessarily a recommendation from Meguiar.
                    I feel with these products I have the basic in my garage even if a friend comes over and wants to clean his/her car.
                    Of course, there are still a ton of other products like Quickdetailer, Tire care etc... which are needed. Luckily, those are usually available at a local store and can be purchased quickly.

I am feeling much better now!

Thanks again!

Comment

Sorry it did not take the picture, here it is!

Comment

That should tackle most any paint situation you come across..
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi Adi,

You have very good list there.

But, since I can never leave well enough alone, I'll open my big fat mouth and throw out a thought or two (or more) for consideration. (Please feel free to ignore me.) Oh, and my suggestions are based on my own ideas about what it means to have "a basic garage supply" that would be used by one guy and when an occasional "friend comes over and wants to clean his/her car".

#00 Wash is great but it comes in 16oz bottles. For me they run out way too quickly. Also worth considering, the Gold Class and NXT shampoos work great, are very reasonably priced and are readily available over the counter in "car-crazy" sizes.

Paint Cleaners - Since you're using the PC, #80, #83 and A-10 will all work great. I find that I need to do "spot" cleaning far more often than doing a whole car. A single bird bomb, bush encounter, kitty print or squeeze-between-parked-cars-while-wearing-blue-jeans can leave a deep enough mark to need an aggressive cleaner but over so small an area that you don't want to break out the PC. I find ScratchX indispensable for doing any work by hand. I always keep it close at hand and reach for it more than any other cleaning product. (Yes, you can use #80, #83 and A-10 by hand but ScratchX works faster/easier and is readily available over the counter.)

You've listed both #20 or #21. Both great products but #21 comes in 64oz jugs. That will last a very long time for one family and a couple friends. Might be a tad much for "a basic garage supply" (or not, it never hurts to have plenty of wax around).

#20 does have "a very small amount of some very light chemical paint cleaners" but they're really meant to assure proper bonding rather than restoration of the finish. If you really want a wax that will do some significant cleaning try ColorX, #6 or #66.

If you want to keep #16 handy you'd better hunt down some inventory quick and stock up. When it's gone, it's gone. A10 Clear Coat Body Scrub is also being discontinued.

PC.

Comment

Hi PC

You are right; for me, the most important chemicals to use are #83, #80. To be honest, I still have a 64oz Klasse synthetic sealer, which I will use first.
                            I think on the car wash you can always substitute if you get a good quality larger size wash. Sometimes you get lucky and you will find one on sale as long as you look out for it.

The A-10, I will not buy, since none of my cars need it. Should a need come up, I can always get it online within a couple of days.

And yes, ScratchX , tire cleaners, tire spray, quick detailer….. I have already, and can always get them in 15 minutes down at the local store. (I actually have 2 auto part stores within 5 minutes).

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');