• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failing Clear Coat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing Clear Coat??

Just wondering, how does one tell if the clear coat is failing on a vehicle? I have a repainted hood on my 2002 Escape. In the right light I can see what looks like little spots or bubbles in some areas. I have tried to remove them with Scratch X, Clay, Vinegar, Mild/Heavy rubbing compounds, but to no avail. I have used the compounds with a cutting pad on my random orbital buffer. The spots are not noticed by most, but I know they are there. Is this a sign of failing clear coat, or just some "over spray" by the body shop? Is there any way of removing them? I tried to take a picture, but they don't show up in the photos! Thanks.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L (RES/NAVI)
    1998 BMW 318ti

One way I've been able to tell if paint was failing, was to view it from an angle near nightfall.

I saw light looking areas on my car in these viewing conditions one time and thought it was a stain or something, but over time it turned out to be fading paint.
    r. b.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm getting worried about the paint. But, if it's failing, will it still remain as glossy as the rest of the hood? I use a strict regimen of NXT Tech Wax, Spray Wax, and Speed Detailer and the hood remains very glossy with good reflection.
      2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L (RES/NAVI)
      1998 BMW 318ti

Comment

Originally posted by escape
        Thanks for the help. I'm getting worried about the paint. But, if it's failing, will it still remain as glossy as the rest of the hood? I use a strict regimen of NXT Tech Wax, Spray Wax, and Speed Detailer and the hood remains very glossy with good reflection.
        If it is failing, then it will start to loose it's luster over time. But you might be able to slow the process down with your NXT regimen.

Time will tell if it's failing paint or not.
        r. b.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');