• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protection In Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection In Winter

I'm a newbie to this forum and detailing. I have a black car(recently repaint 2 weeks ago) and would like to protect it during the winter months. I'm college student and live in an apartment with no garage. So I was was curious how to protect my car during the winter months.

I have just recently purchased:

#7 glaze
    #26 wax
    scratchx
    nxt wax

n e thoughts will be much appreciated!!!

Well, you wont be able to do too much til lthe paint has cured.

But when it does, you will have a good start there. A good car wash solution, even if you have to use it at the coin operated places will also be good, and the Quick Clay is also good.

Nxt seems like the best lasting wax, so 2 thin coats of that will be about the best you can get for winter.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Welcome, ht4lyfe.

I'd first clean things up with a good wash, I like Gold Class Wash or NXT Tech Wash. Follow that with Meguiar's Quik Clay system.

Then using the products you have, I'd go over the car with ScratchX, followed by #7 Speed Glaze, NXT Tech Wax (x2), and top with #26. If you can, wait 12-24 hours in between applications of NXT and also the #26 to let the polymers time to set up.

This should keep your car fairly well protected through the winter.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

In the mean time, apply #7 to your car on a weekly basis if possible......After washing it of course.

This will help to offer some sort of protection until the paint cures.
        r. b.

Comment

thanks guys for your replies. you all know how to make a newbie feel welcome. I've been reading alot about the #20 sealant here. I am considering purchasing a bottle and was wondering if this would be a good idea to use after my paint cures and b4 it gets too cold? Will this hold me for awhile? I mentioned b4 I live in an apartment in North Carolina with no garage. So I won't be able to apply wax in the winter, but I want to protect as much as possible until it warms up again.

Sorry so many ?s.

Comment

Originally posted by ht4lyfe
            thanks guys for your replies. you all know how to make a newbie feel welcome. I've been reading alot about the #20 sealant here. I am considering purchasing a bottle and was wondering if this would be a good idea to use after my paint cures and b4 it gets too cold? Will this hold me for awhile? I mentioned b4 I live in an apartment in North Carolina with no garage. So I won't be able to apply wax in the winter, but I want to protect as much as possible until it warms up again.

Sorry so many ?s.
            After the paint cures, give it a good detailing before applying #20, and that should hold you for a good while.......A second coat a day after the first coat is even better.

I live near Charlotte, and I can usually detail up until the middle of November. When Spring time rolls around, my finish is still looking good for the most part.
            r. b.

Comment

i'm in Greensboro so you know where i'm coming from. does the wax come after or b4 the sealant? when you say 2 coats are talking 2x wax or 2x sealant. I will post pics once I find my camera.

Comment

I personally don't think it matters what wax or sealer goes on 1st, but some people here on the forum apply 1 coat of NXT, and then after it has cured for 24 hours, they put on a coat of #20.

If you have the time before it gets too cold, you can do the process all over again. But a coat of NXT and a coat of #20 should give lasting protection IMO.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
                Last edited by rusty bumper; Aug 8, 2005, 12:15 PM.
                r. b.

Comment

Get some #80 to use on your car for the next 60 days until the paint cures. It has a paintable polymer in it so you will have some protection. You won't need to use the #7 when you use the #80.

#20 is a great product and dries quickly even in cold weather. But so does the NXT, so there really is no need for #20.

RamAirV1
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

thank you all 4 your responses they are so helpful!!! I have 1 last stupid question.

I'm reading the product descriptions and it says that polish is for gloss and wax is for protection. Why not use polish 2x and wax 1x?

BTW is #80 better than #7?

thanks again!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ht4lyfe
                      thank you all 4 your responses they are so helpful!!! I have 1 last stupid question.

I'm reading the product descriptions and it says that polish is for gloss and wax is for protection. Why not use polish 2x and wax 1x?

BTW is #80 better than #7?

thanks again!!!!!
                      #80 is easier to work with and it provides some swirl removal that #7 does not. If you have swirls, it would be better to use #80, but if you have none either product would work very well.

I generally prefer to use #80. There is always going to be a swirl here or there that needs attention.

RamAirV1
                      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

thanks I will pick up a bottle and post some pics when i'm done!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');