• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time detail... Used car but decent paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time detail... Used car but decent paint

I recently bought my 2002 Lancer used... it lookes like it was decently cared for, but has some paint damage... There is an area where the car was keyed on the ar lot where the paint is still black, but you can still see scratches (maybe it was touched up but poorly), there are some white scratches, some dull spots in the paint (maybe burns from a poor detail in the past), and there are a few pint chips along the edges of the doors. the paint is shiny but i know i could get some depth out of it. I'v never detailed a car before but this is the first car I've bought on my own and want it to look as good as possible. I know i need to touch up the paint chips but will the other paint blemishes require more paint or can they be removed with polishes or cleaners? Also what would be the best method for detailing I've washed it and waxed it with the Armor All Power Gel System, but i'm not really happy with the results it gives. I need some tips for a good detail combo. Any help woudl be VERY MUCH appreciated... thanks in advance! I could post some pictures of the paint damage if it would help as well!

Well, in general, you'll want to use the 5-step system.

1. Use a good quality wash like Gold Class or Nxt Wash.

2. Clay the car with the Meguiars Quick Clay system. This gives dramatic results.

3. You will need to use a paint cleaner. With how the condition sounds, you may need to ScratchX the whole car. This will **** by hand, but the results are worth it. In the future, a milder cleaner can be used then.

4. Use a polish, like DC#2, or #7.

5. A wax like Nxt wax, or Gold Class wax will seal in those results.

If the SCratchX doesnt solve the problem, you would have to step up to a DA Polisher next. Once you get the hang of things by hand, the G-100 is a great way to improve results.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have had very good results using the Deep Crystal 3 step system.

Dont let the price on these products fool you, they are very effective at revealing the shine underneath the neglect!

I would use a new white terry applicator for scratchX and or DC1, and either an Even Coat Applicator or a foam applictor for DC2 and a wax.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');