• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like giving up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like giving up.

Hey guys,
    I tried to use #83 the other day on my "beater car" just to see what it can do. I washed the car and made sure it was cool to the touch. I used an orange cutting pad because the paint on this car is severly neglected. The 83 just wont come off. It left streaks everywhere and just looked like junk. I used a medium amount on the pad and I primed the pad with QD. This isnt the first time that I had this problem. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong.
    Thanks.

Are you using a rotary buffer or a dual action polisher?

How long are you buffing the product?

One of the things that helps me is to clean my pad often as I'm moving from section to section. Also, wipe the product off after you're done buffing it in.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I feel your pain bro. I used # 83 for the first time last week. Boy it worked good for me I wanted to remove a scratch. I used a porter cable with orange pad speed set on 5 in very short time I had went through the clear coat.
      Car goes to shop in the morning for a new paint job.
      Be carful with # 83 it really works. I had no problem removing it.
      Black Bart

Comment

do you have any pics of where you went threw the clear coat?
        with a dual action portercable?????
        did you hold it in one spot the whole time?
        Last edited by atticdog; Aug 15, 2005, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Don't have any pictures but car has been buffed many many times and clear coat became very thin. Was not all that hard to go through and no I was moving the pc. My point in making this reply was to dispell the belief that a da won't go through the clear coat.
          Black Bart

Comment

I have tried it with a shot of QD and without. Without works better for me.

After the initial application, which i usually apply a decent ring of polish around the pad, i start using alot less, like a nickle drop for a 2x2 area.

You will know when you have it right, DACP wipes off with ease and leaves a squeeky finish,.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart
              I feel your pain bro. I used # 83 for the first time last week. Boy it worked good for me I wanted to remove a scratch. I used a porter cable with orange pad speed set on 5 in very short time I had went through the clear coat.
              Car goes to shop in the morning for a new paint job.
              Be carful with # 83 it really works. I had no problem removing it.
              went through the clear?!?!

I thought it was pretty hard to go through the clear with a DA with a medium cut polish.... are you sure you went through the clear? how did you know?

Comment

Do you have any pics of the damaged area? I'm thinking that since you used a fairly aggressive combo you instilled some hazing or intense micromarring. I don't believe you actually when through the clear coat. Did you attempt to polish the area out with #83 and a polishing pad, or #80 and a polishing pad? Before you go get a repaint, try some corrective processes first.

Just noticed that you mentioned you had no pics. Nonetheless, I have a gut feeling that it is simply a matter of clearing up haze left behind by your intense product/pad combo. No doubt in my mind that it in fact left behind considerable hazing.
                Last edited by travisdecpn; Aug 15, 2005, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I will get some shots as soon as I can. I am a hard core lurker on this and a couple other detailing forums. I tried the tips that I have read. I used the 7424, orange cutting pad, speed about 5.5 and moved it around my 2x2 area for about 1.5 to 2 minutes or so. Not to long, I just wait until it looks somewhat clear or transparent. I then stop the PC and wipe right away. Some spots wiped away right away, some stayed even after I sprayed it with QD, almost as if I had worked it to long, but I am pretty sure that it wasnt long at all. Should I maybe try a polishing pad instead.

Thanks for the fast help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by djtrackie
                    went through the clear?!?!

I thought it was pretty hard to go through the clear with a DA with a medium cut polish.... are you sure you went through the clear? how did you know?

If you ever do it you will know. I have a black car and it turned into like a flat black no gloss at all.
                    It is at the paint shop now and yes they said that I had buffed through the clear coat.
                    The car is a 17 year old corvette and I'm getting a new paint job put on it.
                    Black Bart

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');