• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convertible Tops? How to clean and protect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convertible tops are the ONLY place on my cars that I don't use a Meguiar's product on....YET.....I use RaggTop on them.

Even though Ford advertises the Mustang tops as 'canvas', the outer part is actually made of vinyl.... If you do a search on the internet, you can find somewhere where it will tell you what the top of your car is actualy constructed of.

ALL of the vinyl treatments I have tried WILL streak the windows after a rain.....the RaggTop vinyl protectant seems to streak the least.

I pretty much follow their directions for the vinyl cleaner, but for the vinyl protectant I like to use an applicator instead of the spray to put 2 wet coats on the top to make sure it is completely covered...it does soak in a bit....then I let the top bake in the sun for an hour or so.....and then I wash the whole car, top first, to remove any excess off the top, and any that got on the windows or finish.

I find that the top will look shiny and brand new for about 1-1/2 months, even being outside every day in the weather and getting washed at least twice a week. And I get a minimum of window streaking after it rains.

I know that it is a pain to do all that extra work on the car, but it REALLY makes the car look good. And if you have ever REPLACED a convertible top, you know what an expensive proposition that is.

My 2000 Mustang GT has spent it's whole life outside, and the top looks like it is brand new using that method.

Yours,

Ron
    Last edited by roushmustang; Aug 2, 2006, 11:40 AM.
    2006 White Roush Mustang Convertible

2000 Silver 2000 Mustang GT Convertible

"Work like you don't need the money.
    Love like you've never been hurt.
    Dance like nobody's watching."
    ............Satchel Paige

Comment

Hey Mike, does that # 72 Canvas Protectant bead water? like say Scotch Gard???

Alex
      Mandarina Racing

Comment

I used 303 for 9 years, once a year, on my '95 Viper top never faded....
        SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');