• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me please! - Swirls on my black RSX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I took a picture of my swirl marks. I haven't had enough time to fully get into it and try to get rid of the swirls . Here's a picture of what i'm dealing with.

How bad does it look? And what kind of paint should I use to tape off my car? Cuz I have vinyl parts on and don't want to get any on it. Or should I just wipe it off if I get any on it?

Comment

Hey,

Well, believe it or not, it may not be that bad. But it all depends on the hardness of your paint. I can see surface marring, swirls, and water spot etching.

Since you are doing this by hand, you will need to use ScratchX with some real effort. If after several applications of ScratchX in the worst areas the defects remain, then machine buffing may be required. Again, it depends on the hardness of the paint. If the paint is fairly workable, then ScratchX may remove the marring just fine.

After the ScratchX, I would suggest using ColorX to further polish and refine the surface. Top with 2 coats of NXT Tech Wax.

Here are again, very important links to relevant information:

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test

Make sure you use a separate, clean applicator for each step. With the ScratchX, if the foam applicator does not remove the marring, you may substitute a piece of 100% Cotton toweling for more "bite".

As for tape, I suggest taping off any trim that may come in contact with your applicator. It is not like using a rotary buffer with product sling. But if you slip with an applicator, you have created more work for yourself in trying to remove the product from the trim. Use the blue safe release painter's tape.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');