• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Wax for thinner paint jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Wax for thinner paint jobs

I was just wondering what i should be using for wax if my paint is thin and has no clear coat. Basically what im trying to say is which kind of wax will give me that great shine but pull up the least amount of paint. Thanks for your time.

Re: Best Wax for thinner paint jobs

Originally posted by throughmyshadow7
    I was just wondering what i should be using for wax if my paint is thin and has no clear coat. Basically what I'm trying to say is which kind of wax will give me that great shine but pull up the least amount of paint. Thanks for your time.
    If the paint is in excellent condition then you can use a pure wax with no cleaning ability like Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax or M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax.

When you run your clean hand over the finish is it smooth like new glass?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Re: Best Wax for thinner paint jobs

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      If the paint is in excellent condition then you can use a pure wax with no cleaning ability like Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax or M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax.

When you run your clean hand over the finish is it smooth like new glass?
      Yes, it is very smooth. Im not sure if it is "thin" but im pretty paranoid becuase its a 78 among other reasons. Thanks for the help.

Comment

A couple of things,

1. I have a lot of experience restoring original, older single stage paints and I completely understand the mindset of doing everything possible to try to preserve original paint.

2. Even if the paint is in great shape and has been well-taken care of over time, it's possible that at some level there is DIP dirt in paint, and also oxidation. Neither of which these two things you want in and on your paint.

If it were mine, I would tend to want to rub the finish down with some Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and then polish with a pure polish and then use a pure wax.

None of the above products are very aggressive at all and the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is chemical only and as long as you use a gentle and soft touch it should be completely safe on this older finish.

You could always try it in a little section and check your results.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          A couple of things,

1. I have a lot of experience restoring original, older single stage paints and I completely understand the mindset of doing everything possible to try to preserve original paint.

2. Even if the paint is in great shape and has been well-taken care of over time, it's possible that at some level there is DIP dirt in paint, and also oxidation. Neither of which these two things you want in and on your paint.

If it were mine, I would tend to want to rub the finish down with some Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and then polish with a pure polish and then use a pure wax.

None of the above products are very aggressive at all and the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is chemical only and as long as you use a gentle and soft touch it should be completely safe on this older finish.

You could always try it in a little section and check your results.
          Wow, thanks! This is exactly what i needed to hear. Now I have a plan. Thank you so much!

Comment

No problem.

Visit a couple of auto part stores or retail stores like K-Mart, Target, or Wall-Mart and find a couple packages of these, High-Tech Applicator Pad and apply every product using them as foam is more gentle to the finish than a fiber type applicator and you're looking to be as gentle as you can.

Any chance you have a digital camera and take a few before and after photos?

Also, if you send me your phone number I'll call you and give you a few other tips...

mphillips@meguiars.com
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');