• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nxt drying ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nxt drying ???

i have a artic white camaro and its tuff to see when the ntx liquid has hazed and is time to wipe off any suggestions on the drying time and or how to tell when its ready to remove
    "A musclecar, by definition, is a powerful and sporty vehicle that must be able to spin its tires at will. The Firebird Trans Am is capable of laying down twin black streaks of rubber several hundred feet long. We wanted to be sure it could, so we did it a half dozen times in the name of automotive science." - Motor Trend

Try the swipe test.

PC.

Comment

Well, this is actually somewhat related to NXT Drying.

I was using NXT last night as a matter of fact and was wondering about force drying the wax. I was performing the swipe test every few minutes and was thinking if it is possible to "Force" drying with use of a leaf blower (or fan). Will this method effect the quality of the coating of wax applied to the paint? Any thoughts? Or do I just need patience? LOL
      Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Regarding the BLOW DRY thing. I use a pedestal fan outside when I wax mine at night. I don't use it so much to speed up the drying process as much as to help minimiz the damp night air and the dew settling in as I do everything outside.

Thus far I seem to have had no adverse effects from the use of the fan. Although there have been a time or 2 when I heard the visiting bug take a ride through the fan and I am sure it went straight at my truck.

I am no expert but something tells me that the wax probably needs a certain amount of time to do its thing properly. Any speeding up of this might bring diminished results. I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here. But I keep my fan setting back far enough just to create a light breeze over one side or the front or back. Just enough to slow the dew down a bit.

But be careful with the fan if doing it outside at night. I bought a bunch of the yellow bug light bulbs and replaced all my regular outlight light bulbs with those. Helped quite a bit. It is pretty disheartening when one of the bring ones takes a ride through the fan. Nice little pieces of hard shell everywhere.

can;t comment on the NXT Liquid as I have not used mine yet. Still using paste and saving the liquid to use with the new PC I got Yesterday. It's good you started this thread, will help me out os well.
        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

You guys obviously put on a very thick layer! NXT Paste dries very quickly if put on thin enough. Even at a chilly night with pretty high humidity it is already dry when I am done with the side of the car.

But as The Other PC said, do the swipe test!

Comment

Originally posted by Bence
            You guys obviously put on a very thick layer! NXT Paste dries very quickly if put on thin enough. Even at a chilly night with pretty high humidity it is already dry when I am done with the side of the car.

But as The Other PC said, do the swipe test!
            Like I said, I really don't use the fan so much for speeding up the drying. But around here the Dew can really make getting the product off kinda hard. Most comes off pretty easily for me but I get spots on the roof and hood where the Dew has remoistened and it seems about twice as hard to pull off.

The fans just keep the air moving a bit to slow down the dew settling.
            Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Originally posted by BJClarke001
              Well, this is actually somewhat related to NXT Drying.

I was using NXT last night as a matter of fact and was wondering about force drying the wax. I was performing the swipe test every few minutes and was thinking if it is possible to "Force" drying with use of a leaf blower (or fan). Will this method effect the quality of the coating of wax applied to the paint? Any thoughts? Or do I just need patience? LOL
              Let me just clearify my statement. I am not having issues with NXT Drying. I do find when it is humid, it takes a little longer. I too, use a thin coat where you can barely see the wax film and the only way of knowing it is there is to see no shine on the paint where the wax is. As I said, on humid conditions, it takes a little longer and I was just wondering if air circulation would do anything to the curing process where the results could be jepordized by increasing the drying speed. This is not something I would do on a regular basis and in a pinch for whatever odd reason, wanted to know if it could be used as an option.

I have seen threads on here eluding to people having issues with drying on NXT or even any wax for that matter. So, on this site, I thought I would ask if it could be done where it may help others too.
              Brad

Comment

Okay, that is just a dew/humidity issue. I think we should coose the optimal place and time to work with NXT. It is basically a sealant, so moisture will affect curing time and durability. When NXT gets dewy or moist, reapply again and avoid water for a day.

Generally I'd rather wait till everything is dry. Dew will also form after when you are done with the application. Or do you want the fans leave 'on' while curing (to avoid dew)?

Comment

When I apply NXT wax I let it dry for 15-20 mins. I havent had any problems with that temp. outside was around high 80's

Comment

Originally posted by BJClarke001
                    Let me just clearify my statement. I am not having issues with NXT Drying. I do find when it is humid, it takes a little longer. I too, use a thin coat where you can barely see the wax film and the only way of knowing it is there is to see no shine on the paint where the wax is. As I said, on humid conditions, it takes a little longer and I was just wondering if air circulation would do anything to the curing process where the results could be jepordized by increasing the drying speed. This is not something I would do on a regular basis and in a pinch for whatever odd reason, wanted to know if it could be used as an option.

I have seen threads on here eluding to people having issues with drying on NXT or even any wax for that matter. So, on this site, I thought I would ask if it could be done where it may help others too.
                    Hey Brad,

The question of accelerating the drying time with the use of a leaf blower is better left for chemists. Here's why. When a product dries and begins to set-up, is it doing this from the top down or the bottom up? Accelerating the drying from the top may not be beneficial. I would suggest allowing the product to set-up naturally, and performing the Swipe Test for its removal. Just IMO.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                      Hey Brad,

The question of accelerating the drying time with the use of a leaf blower is better left for chemists. Here's why. When a product dries and begins to set-up, is it doing this from the top down or the bottom up? Accelerating the drying from the top may not be beneficial. I would suggest allowing the product to set-up naturally, and performing the Swipe Test for its removal. Just IMO.

Tim
                      Tim,

That's cool. I was just wondering if it could be done. I really don't have drying issues to tell you the truth but as I said, saw others throughout time discussing it on here. I will continue to do it the ol' fashioned way. Thanks.
                      Brad

Comment

Hey Brad,

You did bring up an interesting topic!!!

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I am curious too ....here what i was thinking but remember its just a thought....using a blow dryer or if in a garage using one of those heat fan....just a thought
                          Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Originally posted by Djmigs
                            I am curious too ....here what i was thinking but remember its just a thought....using a blow dryer or if in a garage using one of those heat fan....just a thought
                            Hey Djmigs,

I think when you read up a few threads above, you will see 2hotford say the following:

"The question of accelerating the drying time with the use of a leaf blower is better left for chemists. Here's why. When a product dries and begins to set-up, is it doing this from the top down or the bottom up? Accelerating the drying from the top may not be beneficial."

With that said (it isn't how you force it, it is forcing it to dry from the outside layer inward that may be the issue), I understand what he is saying. However, I plan on experimenting with this some day just for grins. As I said somewhere in the thread, I really don't have issues with NXT drying but wondered about forcing it to just dry faster. So, some day, I will wax a fender, force it dry and then let the rest of the vehicle dry the "Standard" way. Then I will buff it all off and see if there is a difference. As far as longevity, I don't know if I can prove that because I wax way to often. So, what will this prove? Most likely nothing but it makes detailing more fun for me.
                            Last edited by BJClarke001; Sep 17, 2005, 03:26 AM.
                            Brad

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');