• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dent Wizard Tool Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dent Wizard Tool Question...

I got a door ding removed from my MINI using the folks from Dent Wizard. They did an incredible job, can't even see the ding anymore, but the paint had a slight crease before it was fixed. The technician said that in order to fix that, he would have to color sand it and it wouldn't be 100% perfect but close.

I watched him apply what looked like DACP on the ding, although it was kinda green like #7, so not sure--it was in an unmarked squeeze bottle. Oh, he also had some chemicals in a mustard bottle--that seemed like a great idea for dispensing chemicals.

Anyhow, after he did the wet sanding, he buffed it using a tool that looked like a drill---DeWalt---with a foam pad--maybe about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. The pad face wasn't smooth--kinda looked like packaging foam or egg crate.

I've never seen a buffer like this--worked as a rotary buffer, and was just curious if anyone has used this tool and whether maybe it was just a drill with an attachment? The pad was really small, and seems like a good tool to have in my toolbox when it comes to buffing out really tight areas.

Would appreciate any comments.

Thanks!
    Richard Lin
    ShowCarDetailing
    5548 E. La Palma Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92807
    toll free: 866 707 9292

Hi Richard,

We have a Makita Rotary Buffer that looks somewhat like a drill but works like a rotary buffer, I'll upload a picture of it.

As for small pads, there are a number of manufactures that offer smaller pads, also called spot repair pads but at this time, the only ones we offer are part of our O.E.M. line for use on assembly lines.

As for Mustard squeeze bottles, here in our household we've completely switched over the the Heinz Upside Down bottles for Ketchup, Mustard and Pickle Relish and as they become empty I wash them out and use them for Meguiar's products that come in half gallons and gallons like this bottle of M21 Synthetic Sealant.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike! I look forward to that picture. I didn't take one partly cause I had my son with me, and he kept wanting to run away, while I wanted to watch the dent removal process. At one point I even put the leash on my kid, and that worked only for a few minutes, until he got smart enough to remove it. The dent guy wasn't really crazy about me documenting the whole process, so I kept my pictures down to a minimum.

I'm going to start buying more squeeze bottles and saving them! That #21 looks good enough to eat!!

Richard Lin
      ShowCarDetailing
      5548 E. La Palma Ave
      Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Was the pad something like this?

3M Perfect-It Hookit Foam Polishing Pad 3 inch diameter

3M 05726 Perfect-It Hookit Foam Polishing Pad 3 inch diameter. Convoluted foam face for cool and swirl free polishing. Use with 3M Hookit Disc Pads 05769. Great for getting into those hard to reach areas.

Could attach this to a drill with the proper backing pad. Was the dewalt 18V or corded?

Mike--- great idea with the bottles!
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

That looks exactly like it!!! Thanks!! I believe it was a corded DeWalt--didn't really pay attention though.

Richard

Originally posted by gb387
          Was the pad something like this?

3M Perfect-It Hookit Foam Polishing Pad 3 inch diameter

3M 05726 Perfect-It Hookit Foam Polishing Pad 3 inch diameter. Convoluted foam face for cool and swirl free polishing. Use with 3M Hookit Disc Pads 05769. Great for getting into those hard to reach areas.

Could attach this to a drill with the proper backing pad. Was the dewalt 18V or corded?

Mike--- great idea with the bottles!
          Richard Lin
          ShowCarDetailing
          5548 E. La Palma Ave
          Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

I have used the 8" version on a rotary buffer it seemed to tear rather easy as compared to Meguiars 8" pads... Meguiars pads were also better priced 3M was around $20 and Meguiars $12. IMO the 3M were worth the extra $8.

I have not used the smaller ones... Hopefully Meguiars will introduce some smaller sizes, might even be nice on a PC to get into smaller/curved areas.

Might try searching the Dewalt web site in the drills/polishers/right angle drills and see what you can find.
            Last edited by gb387; Sep 9, 2005, 01:04 PM.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I have used that style (Waffle) of pad on a drill before.

It worked great when removing heavy oxidation from single stage paint with Meg's #1.
              r. b.

Comment

Hey Richard,

Did it look like this?

If so, it is a polisher. They usually have a fixed speed of either 1400 or 2000 RPM depending on model (with Makita at least). They are a real work horse.

The waffle foam pad could be the 3M model though others also exist. I have the larger 3M waffle foam pads in both polishing and cutting forms. But I still prefer my Meguiar's pads by far!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

No, it looked just like an electric hand drill. =)

Similar to this.

Originally posted by 2hotford
                  Hey Richard,

Did it look like this?

If so, it is a polisher. They usually have a fixed speed of either 1400 or 2000 RPM depending on model (with Makita at least). They are a real work horse.

The waffle foam pad could be the 3M model though others also exist. I have the larger 3M waffle foam pads in both polishing and cutting forms. But I still prefer my Meguiar's pads by far!

Tim
                  Richard Lin
                  ShowCarDetailing
                  5548 E. La Palma Ave
                  Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                    Hey Richard,

Did it look like this?

This is the one we have...
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, how do you clean up the Heinz bottles completely before putting in M21? Thanks!

zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');