• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother's Clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's Clay

Hi,

I have been trying for 2 days now to find the Meguiar's Quik Clay.

I have been to 2 AutoZones, 1 Kragen, and even Target.

Will Mother's Clay work okay? Does it matter if I buy that instead of Quik Clay?

Also, if Mother's is okay, can I use Meguiar's QD with it?

I would try ordering it from an online source. Or go to your local auto bodyshop supply store and get it there or have it ordered.

If all else fails buy 3M or auto magic clay. I perfer those over the Mothers.

Also, skip the QD spray and use water with a dash of car wash soap. Not NXT soap though. For some reason it isn't a good soap for clay lube.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Okay, Scratch Mother's

How about Clay Magic?

I see a lot of that.

Why not use QD? Why use sopy water instead? And by soap, you mean a thick soap like Gold Class right?

If I use soap, then I will need to rinse right?

Or use a wet towel at least before following with a dry towel?

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
        I would try ordering it from an online source. Or go to your local auto bodyshop supply store and get it there or have it ordered.

If all else fails buy 3M or auto magic clay. I perfer those over the Mothers.

Also, skip the QD spray and use water with a dash of car wash soap. Not NXT soap though. For some reason it isn't a good soap for clay lube.
        Jbirk,

I would really hate to debate Superior Shine's opinion because his experience and results are the best on here.

With that said, I am not debating here but I can tell you what I did and had great results with it.

I too could not find Meg's Clay in any of the auto stores here. At the time, I needed it right now and couldn't wait to order it online and wait the delivery time. For me, I like the idea of using Meg's not only for the high quality results, but also for the support system online here. I ended up using Mother's Clay Kit (came with their version QD and a sample of their Carnuba wax) and clayed all my vehicles and a friends vehicle with it. Somewhere in between all that, I ran out of the Mother's QD and switched to Meg's QD (because I have a lot of their's on hand) and didn't have any issues with using it on my finish. So............... for what it's worth, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

I am not trying to confuse you here and I too was where you were not to long ago. And don't get me wrong here, I am not promoting Mother's on here, it is just that I had to make do with what I could get at the time.
        Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Re: Mother's Clay

Originally posted by Jbirk
          Hi,

I have been trying for 2 days now to find the Meguiar's Quik Clay.

I have been to 2 AutoZones, 1 Kragen, and even Target.

Will Mother's Clay work okay? Does it matter if I buy that instead of Quik Clay?

Also, if Mother's is okay, can I use Meguiar's QD with it?
          The Mothers' clay kit will work just fine. The QD that comes with the kit is excellent, and makes a good clay lube. You can use up the cleaner wax that comes with the kit on door sills, under the hood, and areas like that.
          Boss_429

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk
            Okay, Scratch Mother's

How about Clay Magic?

I see a lot of that.

Why not use QD? Why use sopy water instead? And by soap, you mean a thick soap like Gold Class right?

If I use soap, then I will need to rinse right?

Or use a wet towel at least before following with a dry towel?
            Water is a little bit cheaper than QD and I actually think it works better. We wash , clay then rinse the entire vehicle. Take care with hard water as you don't want water spots.
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

For me, this is going to be a several day project. I already washed and dryed my Honda Accord and have it in the Garage. I figure I will probably just use the QD or equivalent because then I won't have to rinse or worry about water spots.

I see what you do though. You wash and rinse, then re-wash the car and clay then rinse. That makes perfect sence to me. I belive that soap works equally as good as QD as it is slippery stuff. I am not doubting you.

For me, I will probalby just use whatever QD comes in the kit I buy.

Is Clay Magic good, Superior Shine (Joe)?

I have been all over and all I can find is either Clay Magic or Mother's Clay. I have not yet been able to find Quik Clay. One thing I don't like about Clay Magic is that it comes with a small 12oz bottole of Clay Lube (QD). I find that kind of cheap on that companies part as I doubt 16oz actually costs more.

I have used Quik Clay in the past. A friend gave it to me as part of a birthday gift and it worked great. I really liked it and it had the 16oz QD spray.

I know you said Auto Magic, but when I googled that it appeared they sell Clay Magic.

What would you buy? The Mother's or the Clay Magic?

I am going to try Walmart next, and if they have Quik Clay I will get that. If not, I want to have an alternative.

Also, an idea for Meguiar's.

In the Mother's Clay Kit they have a 4oz bottle of some sort of Cleaner Wax. I have never tried it, but it makes sence. If Meguiar's would also put in a 4oz bottle of ColorX, I bet they would sell a few more kits. Just a thought.

Doesn't make a difference to me because I already have, the DC system, ScratchX, ColorX, Cleaner Wax, GC, and Nxt. I don't really need another 4oz bottle of Wax, but many other people do.
              Last edited by Jbirk; Sep 11, 2005, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I too had the same problem finding Quik Clay. I checked Pep Boys, Autozone, Kragen, and even the local PBE store and none of them carried it. So i ended up just ordering it off the Meguiar's website. I have to say that i prefer the Quik Clay to the Mother's Clay Kit but in a pinch the Mother's is fine.

Comment

Clay magic and auto magic are the same company.

We use cases and cases of 3M clay because it is so easy to find. I have to wait a day or two to get Meguiars.

Comment

Clay magic and auto magic are the same company.

We use cases and cases of 3M clay because it is so easy to find. I have to wait a day or two to get Meguiars.
                    Joe,
                    Have you tried the new detailer line clay? The Mild and Aggressive ones? I just picked some up. May go try it on my truck right now.
                    Elite Mobile Detailing

Comment

I ordered c-2000 and c-2100 earlier this year.

I got a case of old white clay as it had the same part number c-2000.

I returned that and finally got the new stuff.

We kept getting confused on which one to use. Say you have a nice car to clay, what is better a once or twice used blue c-2000 or a new c-2100? See what I mean?

We almost always went red, c-2100 anyway.

I went back to 3M because when I walk into my supplier it is right there on the shelf.

Comment

...We almost always went red, c-2100 anyway...
                        Joe, I’ve always heard that the red C-2100 clay has the potential to cause marring and should only be used if you intend to buff afterwards. Have you seen that happen? If so, how often and what was needed to remove the swirls?

PC.

Comment

I haver seen cold blue clay marr as well. I have a microwave on board 9really, ask elite md or Mike) so we have to heat the clay up so it doesn't scratch.

What we do is use an older peice on a car we are going to polish. If is a really nice car with light contaminates we open a new one.

Comment

All I need to know is if I can't find Quik Clay do I buy the Mother's California Gold or the Clay Magic kit?

Thanks much for your expertise. I will get what you tell me to get.

Comment

If I had the choice between the two I would go with clay/auto magic.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');