• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New user and devotee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user and devotee

Hello, all. I just got my shipment of G100 and 7 pads and mf towels and other goodies. My son insisited I use it on his truck first. My first impression was how easy the machine was to use applying and removing NXT wax at speed of 3. I tried the ScratchX on a few spots with less than desirable results. Probably did not work the product long enough before applying another dab of scratchX.
    Now, I have a question. What is the strongest combination of product and pad/bonnet that I can use to remove scratches caused by old style "red" label rubbing compund? My wife's 95 van has numerous scratches and I am going to learn to use my equipment on her car before I try to remove a couple of scratches on my 05 Titan. (the rubbing compund was used by be to remove my daugter's "drawing" with a rock on the hood and sides. I have read the threads on removing swirls etc and understand going from mildest to harshest on removal but if you saw the hood you would know that it is going to need some aggrevise work (no digi camera to post pictures). Thanks for advice and just to let you know I, too, think this is a wonderful site with great helps and tips. This site sold me on going Meguiars completely and the lifetime warranty on the G100 made me spend the extra few bucks for peace of mind if the DA breaks.

Re: New user and devotee

Hi k94max,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by k94max
    I tried the ScratchX on a few spots with less than desirable results. Probably did not work the product long enough before applying another dab of scratchX.

Now, I have a question. What is the strongest combination of product and pad/bonnet that I can use to remove scratches caused by old style "red" label rubbing compound? My wife's 95 van has numerous scratches and I am going to learn to use my equipment on her car before I try to remove a couple of scratches on my 05 Titan. (the rubbing compound was used by be to remove my daughter's "drawing" with a rock on the hood and sides. I have read the threads on removing swirls etc and understand going from mildest to harshest on removal but if you saw the hood you would know that it is going to need some aggressive work (no digi camera to post pictures).
    You need to read this thread...

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

It outlines everything you need to know about getting good results when using the G100 polisher.

It shows the most aggressive step you an use, M83/W-8006 polishing pad on speed setting 5.0 with between 15-20 pounds of pressure.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just thought I'd ask...

Did you apply the Scratch-X by hand or with the G100?

Comment

get some dacp..... the rock drawings sound painful.... and on a brand new truck too...

Comment

Re: New user and devotee

My wife's 95 van has numerous scratches and I am going to learn to use my equipment on her car before I try to remove a couple of scratches on my 05 Titan. (the rubbing compund was used by me to remove my daugter's "drawing" with a rock on the hood and sides.
          While it would be interesting to see a picture of her drawing, it makes me cringe just to read about it.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ouch,
            Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Re: Re: New user and devotee

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              While it would be interesting to see a picture of her drawing, it makes me cringe just to read about it.
              u had that shivering feel too when u read that post? lol we all car crazy.....

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2
                Just thought I'd ask...

Did you apply the Scratch-X by hand or with the G100?
                I used it by hand. To the others: it is the van that is scratched / rock drawings . Had it been the new Titan I would of had to report a mysterious death of a child. Just kidding, though greatly angered at the time, it is kind of funny that she wanted to learn to "write" on Mommy's car. Besides, no possession could ever replace her and the memories she creates for me.
                Also, Mike thanks for the link. I wish I had a camera to show you pics of the van. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with the finish on it. I will assume that it makes no difference since the panels are fiberglass rather than metal when trying to improve the paint finish?

Comment

Well, I worked on van hood for about 3 hrs this past Sunday afternoon. Clayed, then used ColorX, then used polish, then used NXT Wax. Didn't get the scratches but did remove dull haze and improve looks of hood. Made the scratches a little less noticeable which is probably all I can expect with the products i used. I then did the left front fender in about 30-45 minutes (not as many scratches). It is definitely noticeable which panel is waxed and which one isn't.
                  Now for the bad news. MY "new" Titan 2005, went to the repair shop. A cooler fell out of the rafters in my garage, landed on and dented the roof, cracked the windshield in three places, scratched and dented the right fender. body shop repainted fender and roof with 4 coats of base paint and 2 coats of clear with UVB protection in the clearcoat. Looks ok now and definitely not a job for to try and fix. however, the paint on the roof and fender is thicker and deeper than rest of truck. will take a few years but I will see which one holds up better.

Comment

Well, I worked on van hood for about 3 hrs this past Sunday afternoon. Clayed, then used ColorX, then used polish, then used NXT Wax. Didn't get the scratches but did remove dull haze and improve looks of hood. Made the scratches a little less noticeable which is probably all I can expect with the products i used. I then did the left front fender in about 30-45 minutes (not as many scratches). It is definitely noticeable which panel is waxed and which one isn't.
                    Yep... sometime in the future add some M83 and some M80 to your product collection.

Now for the bad news. MY "new" Titan 2005, went to the repair shop. A cooler fell out of the rafters in my garage, landed on and dented the roof, cracked the windshield in three places, scratched and dented the right fender. body shop repainted fender and roof with 4 coats of base paint and 2 coats of clear with UVB protection in the clearcoat. Looks ok now and definitely not a job for to try and fix. however, the paint on the roof and fender is thicker and deeper than rest of truck. will take a few years but I will see which one holds up better.
                    Sorry to hear of your misfortune but thanks for updating us on your results.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');