• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking care of Carbon Fiber Hood - Fading/Hazing now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking care of Carbon Fiber Hood - Fading/Hazing now

Hi there

I was browsing on the Meguiar forum and saw one of the thread having problem with white haze on the cf hood. Well I am experiencing the same problem. I had my CF hood for at least 5 years now and just recently like middle of 2004, the hood began to discolor, fading or some white haze. When I brought the hood new, it was not mass produce meaning the person only did one for me. So I'm not sure if he put any UV coating on it. But during that time. it have the shiny luster look of it. Well living in Los Angeles and with the intense sunlight I dunno if it because I've been parking my car outdoor from last year until now that would cause the hazing. I've used many Meguiar wax such as the Wax Cleaner, Polishing Carnuba or the NXT. But everytime I wax the hood, after a few second the white haze will appear. Hope you could answer some of these questions for me and would be appreciated if you can guide me to some other Meguiar products to help make the CF hood shine as before.

Thank you

Raymond

Is this the one?Carbon Fiber Hood

Alex
    Mandarina Racing

Comment

u can try a good rub with scratch x if u dont have access to a pc.... if u do have a pc then u can go w/ 83 w/ 8006 pad at speed 5.... that should help to a certain level if not solve ur problem completely

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86
        u can try a good rub with scratch x if u dont have access to a pc.... if u do have a pc then u can go w/ 83 w/ 8006 pad at speed 5.... that should help to a certain level if not solve ur problem completely
        Hi Raymeister,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Exactly what benhui86 recommends... you need to use a paint cleaner to remove what is probably oxidized either polyester or epoxy resin. Unless this good was clearcoated, it likely has no U.V. protection so it's going to oxidize if you don't maintain it.

Below are two threads that will outline how to restore a clear, glossy finish by hand or machine, even though the hand article talks about removing swirls, you can substitute any defect for the word swirls and the same products can be used as the same principals apply. Be sure to take a couple of before and after pictures to share with our forum.

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

p.s.

Thanks for registering and posting your questions on the forum!
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Alex
          Yes this is what exactly how it look like on my hood!
          I will follow your recommendation on what you used to polish the hood. Thanks!

benhui86:
          Yes I saw several threads about trying to use scratchx to remove any hazing. I will pick up a tube this weekend work on it and see how it look like. Thanks!

Mike
          Thanks for the recommendation as well. Yes it seem like it didnt have any uv protection. So I'll see your link of removing swirls.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');