• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

water marks after NXT wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water marks after NXT wax

after a detail of #83, #80 using the DA followed by NXT Paste Wax by hand using the included applicator, i got water marks from heavy rain that we got.. i was surprised to see any marks after using nxt wax .... is this common and i should expect this?

I get them to on my car when it rains here in Apple Valley, California if I don't remove the water. Wax, or a paint protectant by any other name is not an invisible force field able to prevent any and all damage from taking place to the paint.

This is also one of the reasons water-beading, although it looks cool can be a bad thing as it encourages water etchings.

Here's an article I wrote on the topic of water spots, maybe it will help you...

Type 1 & Type 2 Water Spots

By the way, the below pictures from the above article are mineral deposit spots on our Pilot's black paint caused by city water. After washing and rinsing our cars I have to immediately dry the cars to remove the water or I will have Type I water spots.

Type I Water Spots

And these pictures show where mud puddle water ate through 12 plus coats of another companies synthetic paint protectant and etched holes into the clear coat.

Type II Water Spots - Etchings below the surface

Close-up of same photo above

So water spots or etchings have more to do with what's in the water than the wax on the paint.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

these are not damaging water marks and can easily be removed with QD or a simple wash...... at least i am not alone

Comment

The same thing happens to me, but the water marks were all above the surface above on the wax, so they came off very easily.

All I did was use Quik Detail. I have been told I should use Speed Detailer with Nxt Tech Wax, but haven't gotten around to that. I really really like Quik Detailer.

The story is very simple. Rain will leave deposits all over your car. When you drive, road grime gets kicked up and makes a mess too. Eventually, all this stuff dries.

If you don't believe the Nxt helps, put it on one side and not the other and drive around. In about 2 to 4 weeks wash your car. You will find the Nxt protected side to rinse almost clean, and a simple wash mitt will wipe anything away.

The unprotected side will not rinse clean, and your car will feel like sandpaper on that side. It will take a lot of scrubbing and probably clay too just to completely remove the water marks.

All I can say is there is no protectant that prevents water marks, but it is better to have the water marks on top of or within the protectant than directly on top of or below the surface of your paint.

Comment

I just faced this problem few days ago on my dad's new Accord. I clayed, applied M80 and NXT Tech Wax 2 weeks ago. It rained over the weekend and the boot area wasn't covered completely so it got wet. After leaving for 2 days, I washed the car and noticed mild water spots on the surface. Upon halogen light inspection, I can confirm the water spots didn't etch into the clearcoat. I then use Scratch-X to have a light buff and it's gone. I then seal it up with M21. I think this is part of the maintenance process...unless you keep your car at home.
          zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');