• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl Marks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl Marks.

I use all of Meguire's products on my cars. I have read books on detailing and follow them to the letter.I detail all of my cars by hand not machines. When I've finished detailing my car I can see swirl marks in the finish. I've used swirl removers with no success.Does anyone have any idea what causes this and how I can get rid of them ? Please note ,after washing the car the two buckets and micrfiber wash mitts are throughly cleaned before there used again ( I use a third mitt for wheels and tires which is also cleaned after use ) When the car is waxed, I use only new microfiber applicators and cloths. Any help would be greatly appreciated ..thank you Bear 73.

The cars more than likely conatain the swirls before you start. they are just more visible when you are done because the paint is now "clean". The most aggresive prdouct to use by hand to remove swirls and other defects is Meguairs Scratch X. I would look into investing in a G-100 however.
    Rangerpowersports.com
    Ranger72

Comment

Re: Swirl Marks.

Originally posted by Bear73
      I use all of Meguire's products on my cars. I have read books on detailing and follow them to the letter.I detail all of my cars by hand not machines. When I've finished detailing my car I can see swirl marks in the finish. I've used swirl removers with no success.Does anyone have any idea what causes this and how I can get rid of them ? Please note ,after washing the car the two buckets and micrfiber wash mitts are throughly cleaned before there used again ( I use a third mitt for wheels and tires which is also cleaned after use ) When the car is waxed, I use only new microfiber applicators and cloths. Any help would be greatly appreciated ..thank you Bear 73.
      Hi Bear73......Welcome to the forum

Which Meguiars products did you use?
      r. b.

Comment

Re: Swirl Marks.

to Meguiar’s OnLine Bear73!

I use all of Meguire's products on my cars…
        I’ll interpret that as meaning “all the products you use are Meguiar’s”. (Hard to imagine anybody using “all of Meguire's products” at home on their own cars, there’s an awful lot of them.)

…I have read books on detailing and follow them to the letter…
        Don’t know which detailing books you’ve got but most of the books I’ve seen have been pretty general overall and very light on content when it comes to the intricacies of buffing out defects.

…I detail all of my cars by hand not machines…
        Machines are easier and more consistent but if you’ve got the time and energy a lot can be accomplished by hand.

…When I've finished detailing my car I can see swirl marks in the finish. I've used swirl removers with no success…
        I’m with Ranger72, It’s likely they were there before you started.

Here’s a great article on How To Remove Swirls By Hand.

PC.

Comment

Thanks

I guess I should stick to building and restoring cars and leave English grammer and detailing to the experts..I ment to say that I use Only Meguires products, not ALL their products. Iagree not all detail books are "in depth" but it gives you a good starting point and how to avoid costly mistakes. I'm sorry I bothered the experts,thanks for the article.

Comment

Hey Bear73,

If my response sounded picky, pompous or otherwise snotty I'm really, really sorry. I didn't mean it that way at all. I was just trying to describe what I thought you were asking and be very concise about how I was answering.

Please, please, please accept my apologies.

You're right, the books give you a good place to start. As you've found for yourself, once you dive in you'll quickly progress beyond their level of information. That's where this forum really shines (pardon the pun), helping you to take it to the next level (and the next, and...).

It can be confusing and frustrating at first but once you play with it I'm sure you'll be able to turn out great results.

PC.

Comment

Bear73, it's important to apply any polishing products on cool surface to reduce swirl instilling. Hot surface will tend to evaporate the product hence producing more friction.
              zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');