• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does Micro-Marring look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another fine example of no standards in the auto detailing industry.

No me the above is micro marring. I believe "spider webbing" and "buffer trails" are forms of micro marring or in other words very fine abrasion/ scratches cause by washing, buffing, or anything else.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine

No me the above is micro marring. I believe "spider webbing" and "buffer trails" are forms of micro marring or in other words very fine abrasion/ scratches cause by washing, buffing, or anything else.
      Joe, yeah another problem with the auto detailing industry. haha
      I put buffer swirls/ holorgrmas into their own category, but consider micormarring smaller, more of a haze or Da/ orbital instilled scratches.
      The one pick is from that civic you did for a guy on here right?
      Rangerpowersports.com
      Ranger72

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine

Yeah, I agree... no standards, no Wax Police and no Legal Controlling Authority...

Maybe we should put our start a project to come up with a list of standard definitions for words and terms?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger72

I put buffer swirls/ holograms into their own category, but consider micormarring smaller, more of a haze or Da/ orbital instilled scratches.
          That's my idea of micro-marring, the light haze left by a dual action polisher, or other lesser application materials and procedures.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Fellas, We will have to agree to disagree.

SHINE ON!!
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

This thread has me thinking allot so I looked it up.

Here is what I found ------

Main Entry: micr-
              Variant(s): or micro-
              Function: combining form

4 : abnormally small
              5 : of or relating to a small area

Entry Word: mar
              Function: combining form, verb
              Marred -
              Marring -

5- to reduce the soundness, effectiveness, or perfection of -- see DAMAGE 1

I guess our only disagreement is the size of "micro".

Very interesting thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Yeah, I agree... no standards, no Wax Police and no Legal Controlling Authority...

Maybe we should put our start a project to come up with a list of standard definitions for words and terms?
                A list of standard defintions for atleast use on this forum wouldn't be all that bad of an idea.
                Rangerpowersports.com
                Ranger72

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
                  That's the, uhm, "issue" with using the PC for correction. When you apply enough pressure to make it effective it doesn't really work the way it's "supposed to". When you don't apply pressure the PC/G-100 is often too mild to do any real correction. So what *should* you do Heh heh, short answer: get a rotary for the hard work

Plenty of people apply lots of pressure and do OK. Otherwise, plan on spending a *lot* of time on this, as in hours per panel if you have hard paint. But IMO it's a real compromise at best- if you ever try the 4" pads you'll see what I mean If using a rotary isn't an option, get a small backing plate and 4" pads for the most aggressive work.
                  Well, I guess I missed reading the fact that using the DA with the proper polish rating takes many, many applications to remove some defects. And I am ok with that fact and I feel better knowing this. I am far from ready going to a Rotary at this time but I do plan on going that way as I progress through this hobby of mine.

So......... I assume for the most part, the 15-20 pounds of pressure placed on the DA initially is typical for getting a flaw out? Then, we reduce the pressure in muliple steps?

As far as definitions for Micro-Marring, I guess I agree with everyone else that something is needed or confusion to remedy will continue. And perhaps just to MOL for starters. It may be to big of a nut to crack if it was coordinated with other sights and industry people. But that is not my call and it is up to Wax Master Mike.
                  Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Originally posted by BJClarke001
                    So......... I assume for the most part, the 15-20 pounds of pressure placed on the DA initially is typical for getting a flaw out? Then, we reduce the pressure in muliple steps?
                    That's what *I* would say to do.
                    Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');