• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Semi new car.....how much is really needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi new car.....how much is really needed?

I have read several threads here, including this one about the New car.
    Let me lay some foundation info here first before I get kicked around a bit for my questions
    I have never been big into waxing my cars (much less washing them). See them as a way to and from work. Still do really.
    However, in March 2005 I went and bought "my" first new vehicle (wife usually ended up with them). Nothing fancy. It is a 2004 Honda Element AWD EX. Metallic Silver in color with the gray plastic panels.
    Since I brought it home in March it has been washed weekly (first using AA car wash and now Mr Clean car wash) and then dryed and semi waxed with Eagle1 Wax as you Dry spray. I use a microfiber hand glove to wash and a microfiber towel for the drying / waxing. I went to the Eagle 1 WAYD because the Element has a lot of plastic panels and the Eagle1 can be applied to them and it does not white haze like regular wax would. Plus it was easy and appears to make the car shine very nicely.
    To me it is damn nice looking. Reflection in the paint is outstanding. I have no swirls and the paint is very smooth to the finger "glide test". Like I mentioned I use the Mr Clean car wash system for washing only. I like the fact I no longer have a bucket that by the end of washing is no longer sudsy and has black water. Mr Clean gives me soapy water when needed and is always clean water. I occasionally use Mothers Back to Black on my exterior plastic panels.
    Here is a picture. It was not meant to be a "reflection proof" picture, but you can see my nieghbors house nicely in the side and I was standing several feet back when I took this picture.

Wife just bought a 2005 Mini Cooper (Pepper White) so naturally we want to keep it nice looking as well. The mini has a few swirls in it from the dealership cleaning.

So here are my questions...........
    I just picked up some NXT liquid for the Element (it is going to be my test subject) as I thought I would "upgrade" my waxing. I have read and have been told I have to "clay" the car first to prep it?? I thought claying was only to get rid of fine debris in the paint and you would feel them with the finger glide test. My paint is very damn smooth. Do I still need to clay my car??
    Then several say they use #80, then DC#2, followed by NXT.
    Yet several threads say to use the wax after the polymers (NXT).
    Do I really need to use #80 if I have no swirls in my paint??
    What is the "proper" order to apply the products?

Can I get by with just washing, using DC#2, and then NXT? Is that the proper order or should I do it another way?
    Do I have to use some sort of cleaner wax (Zymols) or wash with Dawn as I have been told to ensure all the Eagle1 is removed first?
    Will this be what I can do or should do every weekend or will that be overkill and cause to big of a wax build up??

This is my daily driven to and from work car. It gets exposed to sea spray, gravel and mud parking lots, road salt in the winter, and lives outside 24/7.
    I do not want to spend 8 hrs a weekend cleaning and waxing it, but would like to see if I can make it shine better than it already does.

Thanks for the help.

Claying it will give you the smoothest paint possible and best shine. But if your paint is mooth to the touch, meaning that if you glide your finger over your paint and it feels like glass then you can in my opinion skip the clay. If you do feel some bumps or roughness then claying is a step that would be of some use. To get an awesome shine I think you have a pretty good idea.

* Wash
    * Dry
    * Zymol cleaner wax
    * DC 2
    * NXT

This should give you a shine that all your friends and neighbors will envy. But this will take up your afternoon so be prepared. Good Luck and post some pics when you're done!

Comment

Wash it using a good shampoo (Gold Class, NXT) and then dry it.

I would clay it anyways. Could be some contaminants somewhere on there, and it will give you a nice clean base to start with.

Then use a paint cleaner like DC1 to get rid of the below suface contaminants.

Follow that with a polish (DC2) to give the paint back some color and reflection.

Finally, your wax of choice (NXT, Gold Class, DC3, etc).

Try some Tire and Trim Dressing Gel (or something similar) on any exterior plastic to keep them looking black and protected.

Comment

Where does a cleaner wax fall into this equation?

I hope to get around to taking a before and after picture this weekend to determine if this will be noticable.

I plan to wash, dry, DC#2, followed by NXT liquid wax.

If I can find a clay bar kit I might do that as well.
        I plan to start on my door first.

Comment

A cleaner wax can be used as a stand alone product, or used before waxing. Keep in mind that one step products will never look as good as 3 separate steps, but the time saving can make it worthwhile.

Here are a few possible detailing orders:

Usual steps:
          1. Wash
          2. Clay as needed
          3. Clean
          4. Polish
          5. Wax
          6. Wax 2nd coat

With Cleaner/Wax, you might:

1. Wash
          2. Clay as needed
          3. Cleaner/Wax

or:

1. Wash
          2. Clay as needed
          3. Cleaner/Wax
          4. Wax - Nxt, Gold Class, etc.

So you can see it just cuts out a few steps. More of a mini-detail sort of thing.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It may be difficult to find the clay without ordering from Megs. But my recommendation is to definitely clay!!

Even if you just do the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood, trunk and bumper tops).

I did not clay my new Mercedes before using DC#1, DC#2 and 2x NXT liquid. I thought that would be fine, and it does look nice. But........I then washed, dried and CLAYED my 2000 BMW and couldn't believe how much smoother it was, even better than the new Benz. So, yes, even "new" cars usually have some contaminents on them from my experience.

And the claying is very easy and does not take long at all.

Hope this helps.
            2006 Mercedes C-55 AMG black
            2000 BMW 328ci silver-totalled by son (no injuries)
            1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 deep amythest

Comment

I had to call and order the Quick Clay. Kind of ***** to pay the shipping and handling, but it is worth the extra couple bucks. I just ordered the Clay, and maybe the Heavy Duty capret cleaner, or whatever I couldnt fine here to reach the $15 dollar max for the lowest shipping cost. At least get the most out of the shipping charge.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');