• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

people actully wash with dawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• people actully wash with dawn?

people actully wash with dawn? ive seen and herd people wash with dawn but i thought that was some company called dawn that made car wash. i thought it was really bad to wash with dish soap....super confuzed
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Yes its true. Some people actually do wash their cars with Dawn, a dish washing soap. I think they use this Dawn, because its tough on grease not on your hands...lol...just like the ad says.

Comment

but does it damage the car ?
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Re: people actully wash with dawn?

Originally posted by sneek
        people actully wash with dawn? ive seen and herd people wash with dawn but i thought that was some company called dawn that made car wash. i thought it was really bad to wash with dish soap....super confuzed
        Hi Sneek,

Yes there are people who use dawn a dishwashing soap on there cars....i am not one of them.....the reason they use it cause it tough on grime and it will strip dirt,grime,wax,polish or anything on your paint is what i was told....i personally wouldnt use it, its made for dishes not automotive paint and i think it will strip/dry out the vehicle to much..those who use it, some use it when there doing the Five steps car care paint system others (dawn)have used it only(not suggested at all)....its up to you or those who choose that route i dont see it necassary to do that step as long as you do the five step car care paint system will do a great job...

Click Here

Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

It strips the wax off your ride leaving the paint unprotected. Don't use it on a vehicle. Leave it in the kitchen. You'll be glad you did.
          Death Before Dishonor

Comment

thank god i never listened to ppl that dont kno cars and i stuck with the NXT wash
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord

Comment

The biggest problem isnt that it strips wax off...that would be ok. It is that it pulls all the oil out of the paint, drying out the paint. Just like your skin and hands, once the moisture goes, it will crack and chip.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

does it becaus e its safe on hands
                either way the nxt cleans better !
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Don't get the Dawn wash wrong. People that use the Dawn wash, follow up with a 5 step process. Dawn cleans the paint so well its actually a great way to prep the surface, so the fear of stripping wax and losing oils from the paint, dont worry about it if your going for a full detail, because your going to put back the oils in your paint with the polish. However, I do not recommend using a Dawn wash if your not going to do the 5 step process afterwards.

Comment

From Procter & Gamble, the makers of Dawn:
                    Question
                    Can I wash my car with dishwashing detergent?

Answer
                    Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car.”

If you’re doing a full 5-step the Dawn wash is pointless anyway. Any dedicated paint cleaner (DC step 1, MPPC, CC body scrub) or cleaner/polish (#80, #83, etc) will do a much better job of stripping to bare paint than Dawn.

PC.

Comment

Well put PC
                      Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Originally posted by LT22
                        Don't get the Dawn wash wrong. People that use the Dawn wash, follow up with a 5 step process. Dawn cleans the paint so well its actually a great way to prep the surface, so the fear of stripping wax and losing oils from the paint, dont worry about it if your going for a full detail, because your going to put back the oils in your paint with the polish. However, I do not recommend using a Dawn wash if your not going to do the 5 step process afterwards.
                        I wouldn't recommend using dawn at all. I heard i also speeds up oxidation. So why remove wax and what's in your paint in the first place? Just use a quality car wash soap in my opinion. I use the nxt wash. Good thinkin sneek

Comment

Don't forget that using something like Dawn will dry out other things like rubber and plastic trim.
                          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

You guys are bashing Dawn too much. It is useful. Many products on the market do not recommend mixing them with other products. For instance Zaino products. To achieve the full affect of some products, you must remove any other polishes, waxes, etc. that are on the surface before applying. Car wash producst that have been mentioned don't do this but Dawn Dish washing detergent will. No one would recommend washing with Dawn unless the purpose was to strip all products from the paint surface to begin a detail from scratch. A detail may not involve polishes and/or cleaners that would normally do this. Maybe just a strip it down, put on a new sealant or wax product.

Comment

The only problem is that using a product that you know dries out paint and trim, and then putting a moisterizer/dressing back onto it is a silly way of doing things. Why not use a safe product, remove whatever wax, etc is on the paint safely, then moisturize/polish everything. You can take one step back and one forward, or just one forward.

And not to just bash Dawn.. it is equal oppurtunity. Dawn, Joy, Store Brands, etc, all get used to wash cars...
                              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');