• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm an Idiot!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an Idiot!!!

I feel really stupid posting this because I should have known better, but I was hoping that you guys could help me out. Let me set the scene:

When my car was on the lot, it had something painted on the passenger side window and windshield...you know, something that said "SPORTY 2001 VETTE" or something like that. Well, a week before I bought (about 3 months ago), they took the paint off but there was this residue on there that would not come off. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, I was still trying to get it off after multiple attempts throughout the 3 months. I mean I tried everything...clay bar, light rubbing compund, simple green, goo gone, just about everything that I could think of that I could use I tried it but nothing worked. So in a desperate act, I grabbed a scoth brite pad and hit it. Yeah, I sure hit it alright. It left the most horrendous scratches imagineable. I know, it was stupid, and believe me I have been banging my head against a wall for the past few hours.

Can anyone think of anything that I could try to get rid of them (the scratches).

I'd really appreciate some advice. If you feel the need to berate me, go ahead, I've already called myself worse than anyone out there could ever top, and I deserve it.

Thanks again for any help.

Not sure I can be of any help but I will say you are not the only one... I stopped someone at work from doing the same. They were trying to remove some rubber off their BMW they had a blow out and rubber smeared the side of the car anyway... I quick jumped in, "No you don't want to use that, lets try something else first." Just say no to scotch brite!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I wish you were there when I put that evil green pad on my windshield, and slapped me upside the head. I'm going to go to an safetielite auto glass shop tomorrow and see what they can do. Hopefully they can get them out. They aren't deep, when I run my fingernail over them it feels as smooth as glass (HA!...thats funny), but you can sure see them in the sun...nasty looking.

Comment

Re: I'm an Idiot!!!

Originally posted by SkeeterJD
        When my car was on the lot, it had something painted on the passenger side window and windshield...you know, something that said "SPORTY 2001 VETTE" or something like that. Well, a week before I bought (about 3 months ago), they took the paint off but there was this residue on there that would not come off. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, I was still trying to get it off after multiple attempts throughout the 3 months. I mean I tried everything...clay bar, light rubbing compund, simple green, goo gone, just about everything that I could think of that I could use I tried it but nothing worked. So in a desperate act, I grabbed a scoth brite pad and hit it. Yeah, I sure hit it alright. It left the most horrendous scratches imagineable. I know, it was stupid, and believe me I have been banging my head against a wall for the past few hours.

Can anyone think of anything that I could try to get rid of them (the scratches).

Hi SkeeterJD,

i am sorry to here your situation....now to curse at you...j/k your already under enough pain....well here a link that may help you if you havent already seen..

Cleaning Glass

another option is Mike P. suggested Eastwood

Second Option

But before you try anything consult with the dealer/maufacturer to find out if there is a coating on the windsheild or any specail care for the windsheild......(i highly recommend this before anything)

but if you proceed anyhow both of these options i would try before replacing the window or if safelite can polish it for you...by the way dont know if you have a camera please take before and after pics and let us know how you tackled this...So we can post this and advice and inform members(eachone,teach one)..keep us informed Best Of Luck...

by the way when you used the scotchpad di you use a lube for example windex or dry....
        Last edited by Djmigs; Oct 16, 2005, 10:50 PM.
        Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

That reminds me of today...off topic but I found a sticky greasy residue on my paint...ahd no idea what it was and the car wash solution didn't get it off and it wouldn't wipe off... and then I found a very old bottle of Meguiars body scrub from a dusty cabinet in the garage. It says it's used for removing stubborn contaminants from a clear coat. And I used it on this small section and it rinsed off easily. Maybe this would've done the trick of your windows (just for reference) What ever happened to Meguiar's Body Scrub anyway? I've never seen it before until today in my garage.

Comment

No need to post any before or after pics...it's toast. I visted 3 glass shops today and they all told me the same thing, "I won't touch it." They said that getting one scratch out takes forever and seeing as how I put about a bazillion in.......

I'm bummed, I take really good care of my car and in a fit of desparation, I lost my ability to thinks things through and grabbed that evil, evil , evil thing.

Thanks for any advise though, thats why I love coming here. We've all made mistakes, and its a pretty pricey lesson, but it won't ever happen again.

$2400 for a new windshield....ouch!!

Comment

Would insurance cover it?
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by SkeeterJD

$2400 for a new windshield....ouch!!
                Ouch!
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                  Would insurance cover it?
                  i woudnt use the insurance for that unless you plan to switch carriers cause they will jack up his premuim and monthly to cover that expense....
                  Miguel

Comment

Wow

Sorry to hear that SkeeterJd...
                    What are your plans to replace or try repair yourself..
                    If you replace before you do i would try to repair it yourself so you know if anything will help.....

Im not to knowledgeable on windshield but i understand that 1/4" or bigger spider cracks can not be repair due to safety issue and liabilty issue.....but you would think since it not a crack it should be okay....By the way is your vehicle a daily driver or weekend cruiser....

oh and only drive it @ nite so you wont tell..j/k...i remember one time a buddy told me that when i just finished apply the wax all around the car it was a friday nite and we had plans that evening to go out and he suggested leave it on and lets go now .......

also if you are ever in southern california i can take you to over the border and get you a better price....as long as i can drive your car lol..j/k
                    Miguel

Comment

You should check with your insurance company, some have a separate policy for windshield repairs and replacement and the deductible amy be less also.

Comment

put a sticker over it....

Comment

For future reference, a fast and safe way I know to remove paint from glass is lacquer thinner and some towels. The towels will likely be ruined, but the glass will not. Careful that you don't rub the infected towel on rubber edges or on the paint finish. Mask it if you must.

If the paint's been on there for long enough to leave shadows, then you'll need to polish the glass. #4 works well for that
                          See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Talked to my insurance today. Idaho is not a full coverage windshield state. Apparently there aren't too many states left that offer full coverage for windshields. The glass companies were probably laughing all the way to the bank on all the business they would get.

Lesson learned on my car though....if I could get my leg back there, I'd give myself a few swift kicks in the butt....stupid stupid stupid....

Apparently there are 2 different types of glass that a Corvette will take, but unfortunately, I had to have the HUD (Heads Up Display) so that just doubled my cost. I swear, with any Corvette there is an automatic "Corvette Tax" that is calculated into the cost of everything.

Dome light goes out in the interior...typical bulb cost for the common car - $1.25

Typical cost for a Corvette Dome light bulb - about $3,000

Just kidding...well kind of... I still wouldn't want to drive anything else. That car is so much fun.

The good news is, since I have not made a single claim on my policy and since I am in good standing with my insurance company, they said that if I paid my deductible ($500) they would replace it without my premiums going up. So other than being out $500, I guess thats the best I couldve hoped for.

And I'm always up for a little roadie south of the border! But I'm driving!

Take care.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');