• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing aluminium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing aluminium?

Hello!

I've seen on a swedish forum (I'll post the link later on) a guy who got kind of obsessed with polishing his car... He even went into the engine compartment!

Anyway, it got me interested, if that guy could get so amazing results, well, I should be able to get some decent results... Even if I wouldn't have the best technique I would still put in a lot of effort and it should probably count for a lot!

The only thing that has stopped me so far is the supply of the wax he's using, well he is actually using two of them...
    Is there any product that Meguiars has that can accomplish this kind of result? (I don't believe the metal polysh would quite do it, or am I wrong?)

Here is the link, although in swedish you can probably enjoy looking at the pictures

Amazing alu-polish

/Marcus

I do not think Meguiar's make bar metal polishes. A lot time, various steps and work went into the polishing the engine parts. I would not recommend this type of project to an amateur as first metal polsih project.

Eric
    Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Teak?
      On the other hand, what could go wrong? Even if an amateur did it and it was his first time, the only thing that could happen would be a halfway-great looking engine part? Compared to how it looks like from the beginning it shouldn't be a problem?

/M

Comment

Maybe www.superiorshine.biz can help you.
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Looks like this guy is really nuts.......

What a difference! From casted metal to a chrome like finish.
          I'm a little worried about the endurance of this finish....

Chrome is a brought on layer (attached to metal) wich won't rust.

But when you polish the metal to this chrome like finish, there is nothing to protect it from oxidizing... and starting to rust?

Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ViperArry
            Looks like this guy is really nuts.......

What a difference! From casted metal to a chrome like finish.
            I'm a little worried about the endurance of this finish....

Chrome is a brought on layer (attached to metal) wich won't rust.

But when you polish the metal to this chrome like finish, there is nothing to protect it from oxidizing... and starting to rust?

Am I wrong?
            The metal will rust (oxidize) no matter if you leave it alone or polish it to be like chrome. But, if once the metal is polished, you put a protectant on it, like NXT All Metal Polysh or even a traditional paint sealant, the finish will be protected.

In my opinion, a polished/smooth surface would be easier to prevent corrosion on since it should be harder for contaminates to adhere to a smooth surface, then again, *I* may be wrong.
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"
            2013 Camaro ... triple black
            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Re: Polishing aluminium?

)
              Originally posted by Marcus

Here is the link, although in swedish you can probably enjoy looking at the pictures

Amazing alu-polish

/Marcus
              I originally posted before looking at the picture, and you're right, the guy is crazy (but I must confess, If I had the time/money I would do the same thing )

Seeing the pictures just reinforces my original opinion, it's easier to maintain than it is to repair. Now that he has everything highly polished, it will take minimal effort to keep it that way IE: regular washing with routine applications of a protective polish. I would prefer the NXT Metal Polysh since it would remove any beginnings of oxidation and leave a protective layer behind.

PS: I did understand one thing in the thread...when he was told to "get a job."
              Don
              12/27/2015
              "Darth Camaro"
              2013 Camaro ... triple black
              323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

In my opinion, a polished/smooth surface would be easier to prevent corrosion on since it should be harder for contaminates to adhere to a smooth surface, then again, *I* may be wrong.
                The guy says the exact same thing later on in that thread... He claims that it is much easier to maintain a smooth surface...

However, some parts that he knows will be difficult to maintain once they are mounted in the enginge compartment again are painted with a clear coat! The other parts he just used an ordinary long lasting LSP...

I am very tempted :-)
                I just found the distributor for the waxes he is using, dunno the prices just quite yet...

Comment

Ok, the clearcoat thing seems very clever (when it's capable of high temperatures).

I'm intrested in how this parts look after a few months......
                  How long do these LSP's last?

Don,
                  If he hadn't done this the parts wouldn't have corroded I think since there was a sort of "coating" in the putts allready....

See:

But, the man has to get credit for such a Extreme Makeover!
                  (I wonder how he details his car...)

Comment

I have polished my aluminum calipers and Intake manifold on my Corvette. Also polished the AC compressor. I had the intake chromed after I got it polished. I bought 3M sanding rolls in different grids and used a die grinder then a high speed drill with a polishing buff and the bars of rouge. It is a time consuming job but looks awesome when done. I show my car and so no amount of work is too much if you want to win and I do. I don't know how to post them on here but I have pictures of the engine after I finished the polishing.
                    Black Bart

Comment

Black bart,

I´m curious how it looks... so maybe this topic will help you to put some pictures on the forum.

How to put pictures into your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart
                        I have polished my aluminum calipers and Intake manifold on my Corvette. Also polished the AC compressor. I had the intake chromed after I got it polished. I bought 3M sanding rolls in different grids and used a die grinder then a high speed drill with a polishing buff and the bars of rouge. It is a time consuming job but looks awesome when done. I show my car and so no amount of work is too much if you want to win and I do. I don't know how to post them on here but I have pictures of the engine after I finished the polishing.
                        What are your experiences with the surface later on? Will they corrode, problems with oxidation? Difficult to keep clean?

/Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus
                          What are your experiences with the surface later on? Will they corrode, problems with oxidation? Difficult to keep clean?

/Marcus
                          Depends on the quality of the aluminum and how well you expect it to look. I polished my rear brake calipers a year ago and have not done anything other than wash them since.
                          The Intake would dull and required polishing every few weeks so I had it chrome plated.
                          Chrome is far easier to keep looking good but in my opinion polished aluminum looks much better than just a sand casting.
                          If you decide to polish a sand casting be prepared to spend a lot of time getting it right but in the end it pays off. I have several BEST engine and BEST OF SHOW awards with my vette
                          Black Bart

Comment

Originally posted by ViperArry
                            Black bart,

I´m curious how it looks... so maybe this topic will help you to put some pictures on the forum.

How to put pictures into your posts

I tried to post a picture don't know if it will.
                            Last edited by Black Bart; Nov 17, 2005, 12:27 PM.
                            Black Bart

Comment

Aluminum polishing

You might check this site too. I may try some polishing if a can brave the cold while my garage queen waits for summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');