• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel storage

I have taken my Helo Rims off for this winter and put the stock rims with new tires on. I was going to have the old tires removed from the Helos and clean and polish the rims to store them in the box till next spring. Someone suggested I should store them with the old tires on to help protect the surfaces and not to put them in the box. Any suggestions on the best thing to do would be greatly appreciated.
    Finally, people that understand me when it comes to my car.

I don't see why putting them in the box wouldn't protect them... I have my Roush Wheels stacked up on top of each other with a piece of Sheet Rock in between each one. I cleaned them up and everything before I stored them. Pretty soon here, I am going to put the Roush ones back on for winter, I think

Comment

Unless you have a good reason to take the tires off, I'd just leave them on. They'll offer a little protection (more/less depending on the wheels in question) just in case.

Are the tires shot anyhow? I don't like to mount/dismount tires any more than I have to because things can always happen.

If you *are* replacing the tires, I'd have the tires removed and the new tires mounted before cleaning them up. That's what I'm doing on the wheels I'm putting new tires on. They always need a little TLC after the mounting/balancing anyhow.

If you have the tires taken off, be careful removing the wheel weights- don't let bubba at the tire shop do it. What I do is have the old tires taken off, and then I take the wheels home. I clean off the weights and any residual adhesive and clean up the back sides where the new weights will go. No wax/sealant/oils/etc., I want a clean surface for the weights' adhesive to stick to and I don't want Bubba trying to clean them. Then have the tires mounted and balanced (on a Hunter "Road Force" balancer) with adhesive weights mounted only on the back side. Then take them home and get them all spruced up.

I have wheels in the box, wheels with tires mounted stacked up/hanging on the wall, etc. and I don't see any issues with any method as opposed to the others. But winter is a good time to work on cleaning up the summer wheels.
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. The tires on the Helo's were "shot" and have already been taken off the rims. Thank god I am from a small town and "bubba" at the coop knows how particular I am. Now for my next question. The weights were mounted on the inside of the rim out of view. But there are some spots where the inside surface of the rim has is peeling off like paint chips or something. (that is the best way i can describe it) I also can't find the actual Helo website or a number on the box to call to see if these rims are all chrome, or clear coated. I guess i will clean them up tomorrow and see whats underneath all that grime. (my car has been in the body shop for the past 4 months for a face lift after a being drug down the road by a Grand Prix, 3 more months till waxing time )Till then...
        Finally, people that understand me when it comes to my car.

Comment

Yeah, clean them up and then see what you're dealing with. The inside/unseen surfaces of many wheels (even high end ones) are often not finished to a high quality. I've even had those surfaces refinished when they were just too nasty for my liking.

Oh, and get some #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2 to use on the paint while it's curing.
          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');