• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the Pros.. need some advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the Pros.. need some advice please.

Well.. after several years of car shows with my own vehicles.. doing very well at the shows with a sparkling car.. after investing in some great products and getting a good amount of practice with the machines... and realizing that my true passion is detailing, just as much as my love for cool fast cars... Ive decided to start doing some side jobs detailing cars. (yes, I know that was a very long run on sentence. ) Im going to start out by doing this on weekends.. maybe a couple cars at a time. Im very excited!

Ive come up with this detailing menu.. please critique it.. and let me know what I can improve on and/or change. Ive already talked to a couple of the local detailers and have established that I would like to have a working relationship with them instead of a rivalry. My prices are based on what they charge... just to keep a fair market.

Attention to Detail
    Mobile Automotive Detailing Services!

Basic Detail
    -Car exterior wash.-
    -Cleaner wax application.-
    -Spray detailer follow up.-
    -Tire dressing.-
    -Exterior trim dressing.-
    -All glass surfaces cleaned.-
    -Interior vacuum.-
    -Interior vinyl/leather/rubber cleaning.-

**Great idea for Pre-Sale Prep!!! This Basic detail may make the difference in thousands on a vehicle sale!!**

Enthusiast Detail
    -Car exterior wash.-
    -Clay surface contaminant removal.-
    -Swirl removal via polish.-
    -Wax application.-
    -Spray detailer follow up.-
    -Wheel well cleaning.-
    -Tire Dressing.-
    (2 coats if higher shine desired)
    -All glass surfaces cleaned.-
    -Interior vacuum.-
    -Carpet spot removal.-
    (solution scrub cleaner removal)
    -Air freshener.-

Advanced Detail
    -Car exterior wash.-
    -Door jambs.-
    -Engine Bay.-
    -Clay paint contaminant removal.-
    -Swirl removal via polish.-
    -Isolated scratch removal.-
    (not all scratches can be removed)
    -Show car wax application. (2 coats)-
    -Synthetic sealant application. (2 coats)-
    -Tire dressing.-
    (2 coats if higher shine desired)
    -Wheel well cleaning and dressing.-
    -Exterior plastic polish.-
    -All glass surfaces cleaned-
    -Rain X glass application.-
    -Interior Vacuum.-
    -Complete interior carpet steam clean.-
    (Leather cleaned/conditioned by separate dedicated products.)
    -A/C and heater vents dusted/cleaned.
    -Air freshener.-

Prices

Basic Detail

Small Cars and Trucks ~ $100

Medium Cars, Trucks, Mini Vans ~ $125

Large Cars, Trucks, Full Size Vans ~ $150

Enthusiast Detail
    Small Cars and Trucks ~ $150

Medium Cars, Trucks, Mini Vans ~ $170

Large Cars, Trucks, Full Size Vans ~ $190

Advanced Detail
    Small Cars and Trucks ~ $180

Medium Cars, Trucks, and Mini Vans ~ $200

Large Cars, Trucks, Full Size Vans ~ $250

Special Applications
    Services are available for RVs, tractor rigs, and larger applications. Please call for pricing.

Travel distances of over 50 miles one way may require additional fees.

Nicks history…

It all started when I was young… growing up around Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, and Motor Cycles. My Grandfather owned a shop in San Jose for over 40yrs and my uncles have owned some of the rarest Muscle Cars in the country, watching them take care of those cars was always an awe inspiring process. I learned at a young age that taking care of your ride is one of the top priorities for a true car enthusiast. With that, performance is not the only pride in owning a nice car…. the appearance matters just as much! My passion for cars has always been apparent to those that know me personally… let me share with you the passion I have for cars… a passion for having a completely clean ride that your neighbors and friends will envy.
    Hopefully this side job hobby will grow into a full time business someday!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
    Last edited by 35th Anniversary SS; Jun 6, 2006, 08:40 PM.
    ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
    561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
    --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
    --

Well, as a quick late night look-over, I notice 2 things:

1. You refer to the clay step two different ways? Probably want it the same wording.

2. Your advanced detail has 2 coats of wax and 2 coats of sealant? 4 coats of wax is a bit of overkill, and going to take a lot more time. You may be better saying:

- swirl removal
    - pure polish application
    - 2 coats of wax, choice of carnuba blend or synthetic sealant, or one of each.

And dont forget to say you are using Meguiars products and techniques...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
      Well, as a quick late night look-over, I notice 2 things:

1. You refer to the clay step two different ways? Probably want it the same wording.

2. Your advanced detail has 2 coats of wax and 2 coats of sealant? 4 coats of wax is a bit of overkill, and going to take a lot more time. You may be better saying:

- swirl removal
      - pure polish application
      - 2 coats of wax, choice of carnuba blend or synthetic sealant, or one of each.

And dont forget to say you are using Meguiars products and techniques...
      Oop.. I did forget to change one of the clay descriptions. I went back and changed one and not the other.

Thank you for the suggestion on the polish/wax/sealant and the proof reading as well.

I also plan on making a product list to go along with the menu... which is about 99% Meguiars.

I appreciate the input! Thanks again!
      --

Comment

Oh yeah.. I forgot to add that in the future Im going to also add some sort of plastic headlight restoration process as a "add on". Im heading to the junk yard maybe this weekend to get a couple body panels and headlights to practice wet sanding and overall headlight restoration. I think itll be a worth while and valuable offer... and save people hundreds on replacements.
        --

Comment

Originally posted by 35th Anniversary SS
          Oh yeah.. I forgot to add that in the future Im going to also add some sort of plastic headlight restoration process as a "add on". Im heading to the junk yard maybe this weekend to get a couple body panels and headlights to practice wet sanding and overall headlight restoration. I think itll be a worth while and valuable offer... and save people hundreds on replacements.
          Hey SS, don't forget that some manufacturers coat their plastic headlamps, and from what I've heard here it doesn't lend itself to wetsanding...maybe others cam chime-in.

Alex
          Mandarina Racing

Comment

What I found...

Too much elpises in the last paragraph which would be this - "..."
            (The three dots)

Remember, your addressing your customers, not an internet forum. Some commas or semicolons would be nice.

Comment

I find the best thing to do is to offer regular washing, a maintenance detail, and restoration services.

Wash
              Wash the car, clean the wheels and wells, dress the tires, vaccum and dust the interior, and clean the glass.
              Time:30-60 minutes

Maintenance Detail
              Everything from the wash, plus claying, waxing, dressing the trim, spot cleaning of carpets, and dressing the interior.
              Time: 2-3 hours

Restorations
              Whatever it takes to get the car to showroom, or better than showroom condition.
              Time: Starting at 4 hours

Pricing should be around $40-60 an hour.

Keep it simple.
              I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

First let me say go for the gold young man if thats your dream second check state office for the use of that name there are several attention to details out there. I'm in georgia so your safe from me but in Texas there's a guy that goes by the same name better safe than sorry!

Comment

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Mandarina.. Ill check into the headlight coating.. thanks for the heads up!

SL1CK.. youre absolutely right, as you can see, and from reading 99% of my posts, I have a real bad habit of doing that.

gbackus.. thats for the advice! I never thought of breaking it down by hrs simply because every car is different and will more then likely take a different amount of time. It is something to consider but from my findings the couple local guys I know charge by the job.

DETAILS2.. deffinately! After I wrote this up I did a quick search on "Attention to Detail" and a couple came up. Deffinately a CYA type thing to look into that before I pass a few fliers out.

Got myself a Camaro and a Expedition to do this weekend!
                  --

Comment

gbackus.. thats for the advice! I never thought of breaking it down by hrs simply because every car is different and will more then likely take a different amount of time. It is something to consider but from my findings the couple local guys I know charge by the job.
                    The time I gave were ranges. If it takes you more than hour for a wash, and 3 hours for a wash, clay and wax, your process needs to be adjusted.

A full detail I found can be done in no less than 4 hours, but actually time can be much higher, even in the 10 hour range.
                    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Hmm, I think the thing about charging by the hour is that it can deter the customer from actually trusting you (if this is your first job) or can change their mind about getting it detailed at all. Because after all, how do they know you really spent, lets say, 9 hours when you really spent 6? I might be missing something, but that is how I look at it. Maybe you can...

1.) Diagnose on the spot

2.) Give a quote,

3.) Explain to the customer what you are going to do (processes and such)

4. Close the sale.

One of the more reputable detailers, Superior Shine, charges by the foot on certain jobs. He charged 15$/ft on an RV. Thats a good idea too, only on some jobs tho, not a small mini cooper.

Comment

One of the more reputable detailers, Superior Shine, charges by the foot on certain jobs. He charged 15$/ft on an RV. Thats a good idea too, only on some jobs tho, not a small mini cooper. [/B]
                        Ask superior shine how much he makes per hour. You have yo understand that a Professional detailer needs to make AT MINIMUM, $40 per hour. So when you are looking at a car, and you think the job is going to take 6 hours, you charge $240. If you think the job will take 2 hours, you charge $80. Do you understand what I am trying to say now?
                        I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

As I'm in the process of starting up a detail business myself, it's always interesting to see other peoples business plans, what you are going to offer etc...

I noticed a few things:
                          First - You aren't mentioning any kind of interior dressing?

Next - regarding your prices: The jumps in price between car sizes seems a bit random. For the Basic package the jump is $25, while for the Enthusiast it's $20, and for Advanced its $20 and then $50? For the more complete packages the work is going to take comparatively longer, the larger the car is. I'd say to shoot for roughly the same percentual jumps in price for the different packages. You might go for roughly 20 % jumps between car sizes, then the prices would be (rounded off a bit):
                          Basic: $100 - 120 - 140
                          Enthusiast: $150 - 180 - 220
                          Advanced: $180 - 220 - 260

Or, you could adjust that to the following jumps in price: Basic $20, Enthusiast $30, Advanced $40. As this will correspond better with the increased amount of time, for the larger packages.

Hope that makes sense... I'm planning for roughly the same way of pricing, although I'm probably only going to offer a "full" and a "basic" package, with some add-ons, like engine cleaning.

Good luck with the business!
                          "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
                          - Back To The Future

Comment

^ Thanks buddy.... youre right.. I should make the prices jump with some kind of uniformity. Ill make some adjustments.

As for interior.. I use Meguiars Natural Shine.

Good luck to you too.
                            --

Comment

As for interior.. I use Meguiars Natural Shine.

Good luck to you too.
                              Hey SS, if you're seriously considering going into this, you may want to switch to the Detailer Line, the cost savings are hard to beat.

Alex
                              Mandarina Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');