• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Use For Rain-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Use For Rain-X

While detailing a customer's vehicle today I learned something that I had never tried before. The customer had sap on his hood and trunk and he asked me would I be able to remove it. Of course I told him yes. He asked had I ever used Rain-X to remove sap from the paint (and of course I hadn't). He suggested I try it to see how it works and offered to retrieve some from his garage. I told him that wouldn't be necessary because I had some readily available. To make a long story short - I put some Rain-X on one section of a MF towel, dabbed the sap with it for a couple of seconds or so - and to my surprise the sap came off as if I it was jam. Simply amazing I thought. Caution - it mitht remove a little wax, but I hadn't waxed the car yet so that was no problem. Even so, in my opinion it didn't remove any previous wax at all. I guess you never get too old to learn something new that really works. I just wanted to share this info with you guys.
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Re: Another Use For Rain-X

Very interesting... was it the original or the wax type?
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: Re: Another Use For Rain-X

Originally posted by gb387
      Very interesting... was it the original or the wax type?
      It was the Original (in a 16 oz spray bottle).
      "NOW IS THE TIME"

Comment

Rain-X ingredients....HERE

something to have in mind....

Alex
        Mandarina Racing

Comment

Originally posted by MandarinaRacing
          Rain-X ingredients....HERE

something to have in mind....

Alex
          Interesting... I didn't realize that it was a 3 on flammability.

Looks like its mostly Ethanol/SD Alcohol 40? Is that right?
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Nearly every ingredient in the mix is a solvent which would explain the 3 on the NFPA matrix. Also, the types of solvents involved would suggest to me that it will, indeed, remove wax and, for that case, probably all of it where ever the RainX product comes in contact with a 'waxxed' surface.
            -The Final Detail-
            Lagrange, Kentucky
            thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
            CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Thank you very much for sharing. Before waxing my Accord last week I noticed some sap and tried the rain-x -- worked like nothing I've used before.
              -------------
              John 17:3
              -------------

Comment

You can probalby buy SD Alcohol. It is used in just about everything. It is even in the breath drops. I might try that on sap.

Comment

Rubbing alcohol will work on sap too.
                  r. b.

Comment

Be careful using alcohol. I know someone who used it to remove tape residue (wedding flowers) from the black b-pillar and it stained it a bit. I removed the staining with ScratchX. Maybe the alcohol just cleaned the area very well and that is what caused the change in appearance. But I still worry that alcohol isn't the best thing for cars....

Comment

Meguiar's Bug and Tar remover works great, but does NOT damage... Need I say more?

Comment

Originally posted by thejazzguy
                        Be careful using alcohol. I know someone who used it to remove tape residue (wedding flowers) from the black b-pillar and it stained it a bit. I removed the staining with ScratchX. Maybe the alcohol just cleaned the area very well and that is what caused the change in appearance. But I still worry that alcohol isn't the best thing for cars....
                        I believe your story, but the one of the pro's on this board has used it many times with good success.

Course, alcohol's not the only option for tree sap.
                        r. b.

Comment

Petrolleum Distillates work, WD-40 if you like a greesy film, 3M Tar and Adhesive, and water are effective on tree sap. You can soak it with a towel to loosen it up.

Here is a thought:
                          Hot water i.e. you paint is baked at hundreds of degreese and on a hot day is often over 200.

You can probalby pour some hot water on it without problem and it should melt.

Just don't cause your metal to warp by expansion caused by uneven heat.

I still say spray it with Bug and Tar remover and wait 30 seconds to 1 minute then wipe it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                            I believe your story, but the one of the pro's on this board has used it many times with good success.
                            As I mentioned, it could be that the alcohol removed the oxidation from the paint (because the b-pillar on this car is single stage paint.) I wouldn't be concerned about alcohol on clear-coated paint. Either way, I'd rather use something made by Meguiar's because then I can be sure it will be safe. I am after all just a (very picky) enthusiast, not a pro.

Comment

I think that is the Washer Additive. Here's the actual spray: http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...ds&id=19037001

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');