• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet sanded some headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanded some headlights

My friend had headlights that were a little cloudy and I thought it would be a good chance to practice on trying to get them clear.

I went to Autozone and bought a variety pack of 3M wet or dry sandpaper that contained a 1000 grit, a 1500 grit, 2 2000 grit & a 2500 grit for $4.99. I started with the 1000 grit on both headlights going horizontally and then used the 2000 grit vertically and in a 45 degree angle. After I used UC by hand to buff.

Also, I had a bucket of soapy water with me and kept dipping the sandpaper in the water. And the whole process took me about 90 minutes.

The lights weren't too bad to begin with. The before pics are on top and the after pics on the bottom. For some reason the right headlight was a little more cloudy than the left before I began wet sanding.

Also after I was done, when I looked at the headlights very closely, I could see some scratches but you have to be examining the headlights up close to see them.

Very happy with the results.

Re: Wet sanded some headlights

Good result!

Do you think you put in those scratches or were they already there?
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
      Good result!

Do you think you put in those scratches or were they already there?

I think I put the scratches there. Doesn't wet sanding create a lot of scratches and then that is why you have to use Plastix, UC or something else to buff out the scratches?

Maybe I didn't buff the headlights good enough. Also, I'll get Plastix sometime soon to see how that works since it is specifically made for plastic.

Comment

Yeah wetsanding will leave some sanding scratches ultimate compound will clear them right up as long as its finished with a fine enough paper 1500+
        Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

Nice job but your not done. You have to sand up to 3000 grit, polish with a compound and protect it.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');