• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubbing Alcohol VS Other Glass cleaners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbing Alcohol VS Other Glass cleaners

I'm in the buisness / hobby of doing auto detailing and i have used EVERYTHING you can imagine when it comes to glass cleaners ( recently after 3 yrs of being married to my wife she mentioned rubbing alcohol) she told me she's used it for years as i cannot get the streaks out with anything else....use newspaper not use it, etc etc etc ..we ll i used the rubbing alcohol and let me be the first to say I WAS BLOWN AWAY at the clarity of how amazing this works - no streaks, super fast drying time, i will not use anything else.

Is this safe to continue using ? i have not had any problems ....wait i had a small problem with overspray on a customers dash and it looked as though i used bleach on it and it would NOT come off ....then all of a sudden after an hr it comepletely disappeared i've had no issues whatsoever.

Any help / or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Coopstah
    A champion is someone who gets up, even when he can't

Re: Rubbing Alcohol VS Other Glass cleaners

Hey,

Get Meguiars Glass Cleaner Concentrate from the Meg's Detailer Line. It is by far the best glass cleaner you will ever use, and simply use a microfiber towel, not a newspaper or coffee filter, etc. All glass cleaners will have alcohol in them, but straight up alcohol isn't necessary, just a nice balanced dilution, with other other scents and water repellents.
    Matt

Comment

One of the previous posts here (can't remember the member who posted it but THANK YOU whoever you are) mentioned about a great homemade glass cleaner.

Simple formula:
      1 part water
      1 part isopropyl alcohol
      1 part ammonia

Beautiful stuff!
      Ray...
      Graphic Designer and detail semi-freak!

Comment

Originally posted by Raykreations View Post
        One of the previous posts here (can't remember the member who posted it but THANK YOU whoever you are) mentioned about a great homemade glass cleaner.

Simple formula:
        1 part water
        1 part isopropyl alcohol
        1 part ammonia

Beautiful stuff!
        Keep in mind that ammonia will ruin aftermarket window tint on contact.

Personally, I choose not to risk forgetting or accidentally applying ammonia to a tinted window... so I stick with NXT Glass Cleaner or the glass cleaner from the Detailer line - both work great for me.

Comment

I use Meguiar's detailer line glass concentrate, and 2 glass microfibers. I use 1 micro to work the cleaner in. Then the 2nd to "buff" the glass streak free. I also do not have to worry about doing any damage to aftermarket tint.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I would not use rubbing alcohol.

I have not tryed any of the meguiars window cleaners..cause i have had realy good results with stoners glass cleaner

Comment

A great homemade formula using only the following.

Isopropyl Alcohol
              Distilled water

The reason for using distilled water is it has all the minerals and impurities removed. Tap water contains all sorts of stuff that leaves streaks and residue thus the reason for its use.

By volume mix the two 50% and use with a Cobra Microfiber glass towel for crystal clear results.
              BobbyG

Comment

i agree with mark... i not sure what the long term effects of using stuff like that on tinted windows would do.

Comment

I no longer use rubbing alcohol - it's useless and i dont want to chance doing damage however when i was using it i NEVER sprayed it directly on a tinted window i knew it would do damage - personal experience. Thank you so much for giving me the heads up though, the last thing i need is to do damage to a customers vehicle AGAIN.

Comment

but i do wonder if it would work on the exterior windows to remove water spots

Comment

It sure does work wonders on exterior windows to not only remove water spots but ANYTHING else you can think of ....ANYTHING - tar,gum,candy etc etc etc , with ease.

Comment

Heck, even Windex is fine on the exterior glass surfaces. The tint goes on the inside

Comment

I'm well aware of that thanks.I was answering a question.

Comment

Originally posted by coopstah View Post
                            I'm well aware of that thanks.I was answering a question.
                            I wasn't saying that directly towards you, otherwise I'd have quoted you. I was just saying it as a reply to the ammonia comments. You're welcome nonetheless.

Comment

Meguiar's and other good window cleaners will all have some alcohol in them. Household window cleaners too. That's how they prevent streaking.

Most - if not all - household window cleaners nowadays say "does not contain ammonia."

LLuminar (probably the main window tint film manufacturer) say to use household window cleaners but with no ammonia.

So, i'm here because i googled to try to find out how much isopropyl alcohol to put in the distilled water, to make my own. :>
                              I'd have bought Meguiar's glass cleaner but none of the three local shops have it in stock now.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');