• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G100A or Equivalent and Accessories Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G100A or Equivalent and Accessories Needed

Hey guys! After detailing my car a couple of weeks ago with Meguiars products for the first time, now the other 3 members in my family would like me to do their cars as well. I figure that I had better get a polisher if I want to be able to move my arm when I'm done! I like the basic package that autodetailingsolutions.com has and they seem to be a good and reputable company from what I've read on these forums. It will be roughly the same price to buy the PC one from Lowes and then I'd have to get the backing plate and pad, so I think I'll go for that one and get the lifetime warranty. What other things will I need to get started? Here is what I have so far:

Quik Clay w/Quick Detailer
    5 Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels
    ScratchX
    ColorX
    NXT Tech Wax
    Gold Class Leather Wipes
    Quik Interior Detailer
    Ultra-Safe Wheel Spoke Brush
    Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner
    NXT Generation Glass Cleaner
    Duo-Fiber Glass Super Towel
    Even Coat Applicators
    NXT Generation Spray Wax

So besides the G100A, a backing plate, and a W8006 pad, what else do I need onhand? I know that I must have a different pad for each product but one pad should be fine on many vehicles. I think I'll be getting the #80, #83, and #21 to apply with this machine. Do you think that the Meguiars training video that autodetailingsolutions.com has is worth the money? I hear that the PC is pretty fool-proof, but I'd like to be using the correct technique. Finally, if anyone has a second, please follow the link below to another post that I made as I have a few outstanding questions.

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Thanks alot!

--Al

Re: G100A or Equivalent and Accessories Needed

Originally posted by skyace888

So besides the G100A, a backing plate, and a W8006 pad, what else do I need onhand? Thanks alot!

--Al

If you don't have a tire dressing you might want to get a tire dressing as it really adds to the completed look of any detail job.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a little bit of tire dressing left, but it's not from Meguiars. Once it runs out, I will probably get the NSANE Tire Dressing. I know that a well detailed car with dirty wheels looks pretty shabby. I'm mainly concerned with what I will need for the polisher and briefly how I will use it. Like what pads for what products and in what order.

Comment

You are going to need a few of the pads as well. Like working by hand , you need a separate pad for each product, plus any spares if you want.

You will want:
        #8006 pads for #80 and #83.
        #9006 pad for #21.
        #7006 pad + bonnets if you plan to remove wax by machine.

Remember to use the 2-bucket system with a Grit Guard as well, and I love the Water Magnet drying towels.

The only other things that jump out would be something like Nxt Tech Protectant for the dashboards/door trim, and some sort of tire dressing.

I have never watched the video. They should do a DVD really..
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Geeze, i must be typing slow today...

Comment

I know that in your other thread a couple guys gave you some seriously good advice and I think with all the items that you have noted on having purchased you should be good to go. But don't rely on other people to tell you what products you should purchase for your car and that are suited for your needs; that is something that you should do once you have become more familiar with the various products out there. Choose the ones that "you" like not what others may prefer because in the end it is your vehicle and you are the one that has to live with the outcome. Sounds like you are on the right track though to becoming an addict to this detailing.

Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
            2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Ok sounds good. I'm not sure if the video at http://autodetailingsolutions.com/Videos_DVDs.htm is a DVD or not. It doesn't specifically say.

Snowman, I know it's up to me which products I use and how I use them, but I figure that I should come here first and get some suggestions before I spend money on something that won't do what I think it does. The Meguiars line is very extensive and there are many products in both the consumer and pro lines that claim to do the same (or similar) things. And compared to most of you guys on this forum, I still consider myself a newbie. Once I get the hang of the PC over the weeks to come, I'm sure that I'll get better results in less time!

Comment

well that is very true but I have found that I have started buying more and more products after being on this site because everyone suggests every product...LOL I myself am new to the PC and hope that it is very promising as it sounds like it has been to others.

Trent W.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Yeah, I see your point that everyone recommends different products. I think I am pretty much set with the products I have, but I will need a couple of things from the pro line as well as the pads, etc. to get started. One thing I was unsure about is the use of polishes. It sounds like most of them are for dark colored cars. Is it a good idea to use polishes (in your opinion)? I already have ColorX, but if there is something more effective, like DC#2, please let me know.

Comment

Well when it comes to polishes I like to use #7 which is a pure polish. The polish will add some fine oils to your paint surface and in my eyes I sort of see it as a lotion for our skin but for our vehicles. I find that it does a great job on my paint and I have yet to come across any other problems with it. But you just need to keep in mind that with a polish like this you need to remove it before it dries, which is a hard task to do so try and limit the area you are working on to a smaller spot. I have not tried DC#2 polish or any other sort of polish combo product. I did just recently get some 80 Speed Glaze and am anxious to see how it handles. I know there are a few other polish / combos out there and I am sure someone else will come along with their experiences with them. I as well have used ColorX but in my book I prefer using the extra step of applying #7 as my polish. Just remember to top it off with a coat of wax.

For a pure polish you can use #7, #3, #5, #81

For a polish/cleaner you can use #9, #80, #82, #83, ColorX, DC #2, and I am sure I am missing one or two
                    Trent W.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

ColorX is a cleaner/polish/wax, and DC#2 is a pure polish.

Polishes have 2 main functions. They improve the gloss and depth of pain, and add some oils back to the paint to prevent drying.

No matter the cars color, you will get both functions, it is just that the looks will not be as different for a light colored car. But the adding of oils will still happen. For this reason, some people with white cars may not polish every time, but still every so often to add oils back.

If you are going to use the #80/#83, you will get plenty of polishing oils to nourish the paint, so a separate step for that will not be needed. You will just have to think about trying a pure polish to see if you can notice a difference in the looks.

You could go from #80 right to the #21. Or you could go #80, then a pure polish (like #7,#81,DC#2,etc), then #21.

Comment

Thanks for clearing up the DC#2 MURR...I was wrong on that one.

Trent W.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

No biggie

Comment

Thanks again guys! I will probably try #80 first and see how it looks. Then I may go directly to #21 or use something else if imperfections remain.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');