• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally made the purchase!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally made the purchase!!!

Well, I had been pretty satisfied with my car's finish for a while, since it is only about a year old 350Z and I've been maintaining it very well, it hardly spends any time in the sun or rain, and it is parked covered. So for a long time I couldn't justify buying the G100 at least not to myself.

I parked it outside a friend's house and we took his car to good old 6 Flags Magic Mountain, on this hot-as-heck Labor Day weekend in LA.

Long story short, HORRIBLE water spots all over the passenger side of the car, that baked in the sun all day. It looks like the sprinklers were shooting out rock salt.

Anyway, I attempted to remedy the situation by washing, claying, and applying colorX with a good amount of force. However, the spots just aren't gone all the way. But the colorX did help.

So I finally purchased the G100, sort of glad I have a good excuse and also bought some other accessories...

my plan right now is to start with #83. I'm sure a bunch of people will come out of the woodwork and say I should start with #80, but I've seen #80 on these cars and I can say it doesn't do much.

Wish me luck... thanks again Mike P for the class!
    2005 350Z Super Black Touring 6SPD - with swirls (soon to be removed)

Re: Finally made the purchase!!!

Originally posted by Wired 24/7
    my plan right now is to start with #83. I'm sure a bunch of people will come out of the woodwork and say I should start with #80, but I've seen #80 on these cars and I can say it doesn't do much.
    Well, let me be the first to prove you right...

#80 in the RIGHT hands and the RIGHT technique can do amazing things. Maybe the paint on the 350Z is REALLY hard, but the paint on my Nissan (Titan) is hard as well - and I have yet to encounter anything that #80 couldn't get out...severe water-spots included.

Just the fact that it sounds like you got some of the spotting off BY HAND with ColorX leads me to believe #80 would be more than aggressive enough.

Go ahead and use #83, it's a great product - but like you said I would say (!), I would be willing to bet #80 would get it done AND leave a little better gloss.

Either way, good luck and happy detailing with your new PC - be careful, they are addictive!
    Nate Williams
    N.E.W.car Mobile Detailing

Comment

Thanks for the reply, since I have not bought #80 at this point, I think I'll still start off with #83 and borrow a friend's 80 if necessary or if it's not glossy enough.

Comment

I have both #80 and #83. I only detail my own cars. I mainly used #80 and now that my finish is in excellent shape, the #83 just sits on the shelf. I think you may want to consider #80. You will not need #83 on a regular basis, if your just caring for your car.
        Watch your pennies and your dollars will take care of themself.

Comment

Well I just talked to my friend, (Ed718 on these forums I think) and he'll let me borrow some #80.

I guess we'll see how everything turns out

But, I think the #83 will come in handy, for when I detail other people's cars that are in worse shape than mine.

I just really wanted to smooth out the entire surface of my car (get rid of all light scratches and swirls) with #83 and if necessary, go over it again with the #80.

Another 350Z guy (Mikeg8r on these forums I think) used the #80 all over the car and didn't quite get the swirls out. Maybe he needed to work it longer?

Question:

Is #80 compatible enough with #83 to use the same foam pad? Or should I have 2 foam pads ready to go?

Comment

2 seperate 8006 pads.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

roger that

Comment

Don't forget pics. Describing how the vehicle looks after a detail never speaks as loudly as a photo does.
                Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

I'll see what I can do. my digital camera does not have manual focus so good luck to me trying to get it to focus on a water spot.

Comment

Re: Finally made the purchase!!!

Pressure, work it in real well, don't DRY buff and the 80 will do a HECK of a lot. However, #80 will not remove the types of defects that stand out in a swirl free paint job and so 83 should be used.

Though, your car is only ONE year old and so I don't think you'll have the defects that my almost swirless 9 year old Nissan paint had.
                    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                    2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');