• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing deep scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing deep scratch

I have hairline scratch (quite deep i think) on my car. I have tried 2 passes with PC, #83 with w8006,but it didn't work. What my next step?switch to rotary? What product that i have to use with rotary to remove that scratch? Thanks
    Polishing is an art!!

Re: removing deep scratch

How deep is the scratch? Is it down to the metal below the primer? Can you post a picture? You could possibly need to wetsand, depending on your experience and how deep the scratch is. But without pictures we cannot really tell what your best aproach would be.

Andy
    101impala
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I think it's not down to metal below the primer, I can't feel it with my nail also.
      Polishing is an art!!

Comment

Hopefully you can get a pic. But you might try ScratchX or the #83 by hand, focused right on that spot, even half the scratch or less at a time. The PC will bog down if you try to push to hard, but your arm wont. Really give it a few good passes, almost rocking the car on the shocks, back and forth across the scratch, not in line with it.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by michaeld0983 View Post
          I think it's not down to metal below the primer, I can't feel it with my nail also.
          • If you use the rotary try #105 with #7006 pad, follow with #82 w/#8006
          • If by hand use #105 with elbo grease.
          Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

Thanks for the advise, i think i will try least aggresive method first by using ScX or 83 by hand
            Polishing is an art!!

Comment

ScratchX is great stuff, I removed dog nail marks from the paint on my Neon, now I can't remember where they are to see how well I did. I also could feel them with my fingernail. The dog's lived LOL.

Hey! gave me something to do on a nice sunny day OUTSIDE (not like now, it's snowing right now)

Aaron
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                ScratchX is great stuff, I removed dog nail marks from the paint on my Neon, now I can't remember where they are to see how well I did. I also could feel them with my fingernail. The dog's lived LOL.
                Aaron
                Nappers,
                How did you apply ScratchX? I tried ScratchX last night on my single stage riding mower with a foam applicator pad......gave it all the passion I had....the mower was rockin'......nothing happened. I then tried it on a smaller area....maybe 1" by 1".....rubbed till my fingers screamed "Uncle!"
                No scratch was removed. Some red paint was removed, though. These are scratches that I can't feel with my fingernail.
                Used a foam applicator pad (with aforementioned passion) then wiped with an MF.
                Heatgain (Gary)
                The Irate Magistrate
                Neutral & Detached

Comment

Heatgain; sometimes you have to change up how you apply the product. Try with a terry towel. It has alot more bite to it then the foam applicator.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

agree, I've read that Mike uses cut up terry cloths for more "bite". If it's the ceramic type coating, not sure if you can get it out of the mower...... I assume the part your working on is metal? My riding lawnmower is plastic hood and painted elsewhere. Just typing outloud.....

Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                      Heatgain; sometimes you have to change up how you apply the product. Try with a terry towel. It has alot more bite to it then the foam applicator.
                      Good idea. I'll try the terry.
                      Nappers - yep....it's a metal hood.
                      Heatgain (Gary)
                      The Irate Magistrate
                      Neutral & Detached

Comment

okay, just checking. I've seen a mower with a ceramic type coating and although pretty tough, it's like buffing out the ceramic sink and not going to happen. I think I read that the new M105 works wonders by hand as a little more aggressive by hand.....

Aaron

Comment

can't wait for the new m105 in Indonesia.
                          Polishing is an art!!

Comment

Was hanging out in the garage tonight.....re-arranging all my Meg's stuff....again
                            Thought I'd try the lawn mower hood again, with #80 this time, the Harbor Freight rotary, and the cheap wool pad that came with the rotary. I figured, as a newbie to the rotary, if I'm going to burn paint with it while learning, it might as well be on the lawn mower.
                            But it worked great! #80 with the wool pad on the rotary.....scratches gone!
                            But, being single stage paint on the mower....the red paint transferred onto the wool pad. I don't care, because it's a very cheap-o pad....and I'd never use that pad on a car...but....if I did that on a single stage car with a good wool or wool/foam pad.....would the wool pad be shot, or is there a way to clean the pad?
                            I assume if I use a foam pad and #80 on a single stage car, the paint would also transfer onto the pad, so.....same question for the foam pad.
                            Cleanable? Re-usable?
                            Heatgain (Gary)
                            The Irate Magistrate
                            Neutral & Detached

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');