• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always breaking the rules, it's in my nature.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Always breaking the rules, it's in my nature.

Food for thought....

We should clarify speeds while we are talking about them

Speed 5
    G100 4780
    G110 5550
    G220 5750

Speed 6
    G100 6100
    G110 6700
    G220 6900

Again...we know people use their machines on speed 6...We are only trying to caution / inform people of the pro's & con's of higher speeds.

We are also only pointing out, that you can get correction on speeds of less than 6....

BTW - What ever happened to least aggressive method

Mike
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Anyone ever seen this weird phenomena?

Sometimes when using the Porter Cable unit, (not our G110), when using the machine on the 6.0 setting I've seen the pad reverse the direction of rotation and even rotate less than when on speed 5.0

Sounds impossible but I've logged a lot of hours behind this tool and seen this happen.

With our G110 there's so much more power that as long as the pad is flat and the pad is not on any kind of high point, the pad has plenty of power on the 5.0 speed setting, as in the pad rotates without bogging down or stopping and just vibrating against the paint.

This means faster and more efficient defect removal.

For anyone that has not used both machines it's a very dramatic difference.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Sometimes when using the Porter Cable unit, (not our G110), when using the machine on the 6.0 setting I've seen the pad reverse the direction of rotation and even rotate less than when on speed 5.0

Sounds impossible but this happen.
        That's happening with my UDM too but on some pads only...For example today i was detailing an M3 ( ) and i was using a 4'' polishing and a 4'' cutting pad.
        The cutting pad was spinning OK on speed 6 but the polishing one not...
        Also when i am using the 8006 pad on speed 6 it spinning reverse...
        I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

After posting this I went back to take some pics and got a nasty surprise. I guess it turned out to be 8 hrs wasted because some kid was bored.

Still has a nice shine after 2 days on a dusty road, but I think the addition of the initials takes away from it some how.

I would have posted these sooner, but I was sooooooooooooo angry I couldn't see straight.
          Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
            Food for thought....

We should clarify speeds while we are talking about them

Speed 5
            G100 4780
            G110 5550
            G220 5750

Speed 6
            G100 6100
            G110 6700
            G220 6900

Again...we know people use their machines on speed 6...We are only trying to caution / inform people of the pro's & con's of higher speeds.

We are also only pointing out, that you can get correction on speeds of less than 6....

BTW - What ever happened to least aggressive method

Mike

In the first post I think I covered the advancing steps of aggression (M80w/9006 on 5, M80w/8006 on 5, M80w/7006 on 5, M80w/7006 on 6). And the unfortunate lack of M83 at the time. I hear you and don't recommend this procedure (also noted in original post), but it worked for me and I was curious as to whether or not anyone else has done this and if there were draw backs to doing it. Which were pointed out in several responses.

Now I'm off to find a bored teen, to help fill his time I have 25 cords of wood that need to be split and stacked before November. I'm sure he'll be grateful for a way to fill his time during summer vacation.
            Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I swear... all houses should be guarded with automated machine gun turrets.

Comment

Originally posted by VonLego View Post
                I swear... all houses should be guarded with automated machine gun turrets.
                I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post

Can you imagine that glue seperating while you're working on a car? Instant PC to paint contact with no pad in sight!

Nick
                  This thought always crosses my mind when I set the pad on the paint. Makes my skin crawl.... I always rinse the product out of my pads under the sink after each use, and since Meguiars doesn't recommended it, I always have this fear that the Velcro is gonna break loose and WHAM!!!!! My PC screeching through to the sheet metal.. Since Meguiars supposedly changed the adhesive on the pads, let's pray the velcro stays in place.

Comment

Sounds impossible but I've logged a lot of hours behind this tool and seen this happen.

With our G110 there's so much more power that as long as the pad is flat and the pad is not on any kind of high point, the pad has plenty of power on the 5.0 speed setting, as in the pad rotates without bogging down or stopping and just vibrating against the paint.

This means faster and more efficient defect removal.

For anyone that has not used both machines it's a very dramatic difference.

Yes Mike, it is called Temporal Sub-sampling. Without getting into too much techno jargon, it is the way the brain perceives the position of an object during a rotation. Think of a helicopter or a wheel with 3-4 spokes on a car. Same optical/visual illusion.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                      Yes Mike, it is called Temporal Sub-sampling. Without getting into too much techno jargon, it is the way the brain perceives the position of an object during a rotation. Think of a helicopter or a wheel with 3-4 spokes on a car. Same optical/visual illusion.

Tim
                      Never thought about that, never took the time to investigate too deep.

Will have to try to duplicate this at one of our Thursday Night Open Garage and maybe capture a video of it.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Never thought about that, never took the time to investigate too deep.

Will have to try to duplicate this at one of our Thursday Night Open Garage and maybe capture a video of it.

It might be easier to capture on video since I always see it in movies and very very rarely in real life... If you do capture it, I could easily see comments on youtube (or here) such as "Hey Mike, where did you get the orbital that rotates counterclockwise? Is that better for correction?"
                        Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
                        Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGypsy View Post
                          After posting this I went back to take some pics and got a nasty surprise. I guess it turned out to be 8 hrs wasted because some kid was bored.

Still has a nice shine after 2 days on a dusty road, but I think the addition of the initials takes away from it some how.

I would have posted these sooner, but I was sooooooooooooo angry I couldn't see straight.
                          What is with all the cars being vandalized lately?
                          Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');