• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can G110 became rotary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can G110 became rotary?

This is my idea, can it work?
    I don't want to buy one more machine for cutting...
    Just want to make an adapter, let G110 had two function...

Re: Can G110 became rotary?

Looks like your design might work.

Don't know if the motor is heavy duty enough to act as a rotary buffer however.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Even if you could get it to spin, or even spin more than it does now, I don't think the power is there to do rotary correction...
      Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
      Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

My opinion is the real rotary use 7" or 8" pad, so it need more power.
        But G110 use 6" pad, so... Is it possible?

Comment

Rotaries can use the same 6.5in pads the the PC uses.

In my opinion, it could work - at a lower speed. A rotary is able to spin a pad at a high rpm. Plus, it is able to maintain that speed under load. When it makes contact, it doesn't stop or slow down drastically.

So, while it may work in the lower rpm range, I would be worried about burning up the motor. The stock motor is a 3.7 amp version. The Dewalt DW849 has 8 amps and even the Metabo Mini rotary has a 10 amp motor.
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by orion613719 View Post
            This is my idea, can it work?
            Better question is: Is it worth it?

Comment

Well Since the G110 is more powerful then the G100 you should be able to make more paint correction thenbefore. How much more? I don't have that answer.

If you are just a weekend warrior I would get the 29.99 Chicago electric rotary. It is a pretty decent machine for occasional use.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I already send the drawing to a factory yesterday, I can get the parts next week.
                I will post the result here...
                (Because the parts is free, so I can try it...,
                if it's not free...due to your suggestion, I will give up...)

Thanks for your suggestion!!!

Comment

I can’t really tell from the drawings you show, and I haven’t taken apart a G110 so I don’t know how it’s actually built.

But it looks like you’re basically extending the drive shaft. In that case I have to assume that you’ve figured out how to remove the eccentric mechanism and counterweight assembly so you can access the drive shaft.

Assuming that all works, now you have an underpowered rotary machine (the G110 has a 4.2 Amp motor, professional rotaries have 6-10 Amp motors) that runs too fast.

The G110's final drive runs 2560 to 6700 rpm. You want a rotary to run at least half that speed, preferably a third. That means you’d need to redesign the gear drive mechanism as well.

Unless you do that by adding on something like a planetary gear reduction after the stock drive (bevel gears like the G100 I presume?) you won’t be able to change it back and forth between DA and rotary.

I would also think that the bearings of a G110, being intended to support DA polishing (i.e. flat on the finish), would be designed primarily for coaxial thrust loads, not for the sort of off-axis loads rotary buffers are subjected too. Cantilevering the plate/pad out on your drive shaft extension multiplies any off-axis loading and may lead to premature bearing failure.

PC.

Comment

Keep in mind, once you tear apart the machine, the warranty is no longer valid.

Mike
                    Mike Pennington
                    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                    Meguiar's, Inc.
                    800-854-8073
                    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
                      Keep in mind, once you tear apart the machine, the warranty is no longer valid.

Mike
                      noted

Comment

Comment

Sweet! No sound in the videos but great documentation. Thanks for sharing.
                          Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');