• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Pads vs Finishing Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Pads vs Finishing Pads

I've had my G110v2 for about 3 months now and am loving it! It used to take me half of the summer just to get my 3 cars ready for show season, now it takes 3 weekends.

I have been using M105/UC with an Orange cutting LC CCS pad to remove defects and M205 with a White polishing LC CCS pad to polish before using M07 and M26 as the final steps with a Black finishing LC CCS pad.

My question is, should I be using 205 with a black finishing pad or the white polishing pad? Would using the 205 with a black finishing pad give me a better finish than a polishing pad while still removing the marring from 105? Or would i have to use the 205 with the polishing pad, then go back over it with the finishing pad? Just trying to get the best possible finish as they are mostly show cars and rarely, if ever get washed so once they are fully corrected they should stay that way.
    1987 Buick Grand National
    1999 Buick Regal GS
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    1996 SVT Cobra

Re: Polishing Pads vs Finishing Pads

There is no universal answer to this as every car reacts differently to the pads and products. In some cases I can completely polish a car from start to finish with nothing but M205 and a yellow Meguiar's polishing pad...leaving a truly flawless finish.

Other times I need to start with a compound and wool, then a polish and yellow, followed by polish and black.

The key is to do a test spot and see what works best for each case. In theory, you might gain a little added gloss from the finishing pad, although the Meguiar's yellow polishing pad typically finishes out quite nicely with proper technique.

Comment

Re: Polishing Pads vs Finishing Pads

Use a bright halogen with a 50/50 spot using tape to separate and finish one side with 205 on the white pad and then the other side with 205 on the black pad and you'll have your answer.

205 on white will finish very well though as long as you don't reach the point of dry-buffing it.
      Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
      Houston Area Mobile Detailing
      www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');