• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleaning your pads when using PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning your pads when using PC

its obviously no problem when using a rotary buff - just get the toothbrush out and remove the product.

But with a PC how do u guys clean your pads?
    Since if you operate the PC without surface contact the pad usually flies off!
    At the moment i just change to another pad and put the dirty pads on the rotary later and clean them that way.

any suggestions to make this an easier process??
    All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

I don't know if you can get it there, but I use Hoover's Deep Steam Carpet Cleaning solution.

It's meant for those in-home carpet machines.

People think I'm nuts but I rinse my foam pads with a couple of ounces of this and they come clean instantly. I rinse them in the sink, gently wring them out and lay them out to dry.

I haven't had any problems with the solution damaging the foam pads.

It also works for the foam wax applicator pads.

Be careful and try it on an old pad first in case anything goes wrong.

Take care, Bill

Comment

I've had good luck with Dawn dish soap and a bucket of warm water. I add some soap to the bucket and directly to the pad itself, then I fill the bucket up with water. A little pad agitation doesn't hurt either. Finally, I rinse the pad and let it air dry. I still have the original 3 pads I purchased w/ my PC last year, and they look as good as the day that I bought them!
      1999 Ford Contour SVT
      Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
      1966/2760

Comment

I put some car wash soap into my sink and put my pads in there. I get them saturated and squeeze them out until they're clean. Then I pull them out, rinse with clean water, layer between two mf towels and wring the towels to dry.
        "Son, crying in your milk is bad enough; crying in your hot fudge sundae is just disgusting."
        R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by mike_svt
          I've had good luck with Dawn dish soap and a bucket of warm water. I add some soap to the bucket and directly to the pad itself, then I fill the bucket up with water. A little pad agitation doesn't hurt either. Finally, I rinse the pad and let it air dry. I still have the original 3 pads I purchased w/ my PC last year, and they look as good as the day that I bought them!
          I went to the store to try and find the Dawn Power Plus formula and they were out of it! Either a lot of detailers are cleaning their pads or getting ready for a pre-Zaino car wash! The Power Plus does clean the pads more quickly. I would never use it on a painted surface.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Bucket, warm H20, dawn. Rinse when done.

Comment

would hot tap water be ok, or would it damage the velcro?

Comment

Murphy's Oil Soap, garden hose, rotary (for faster drying)
                Don
                12/27/2015
                "Darth Camaro"
                2013 Camaro ... triple black
                323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

One of pad got mushy when I tried to clean with car wash soap. All other pads are fine. It seems like pad absorbed too much wax or something.
                  How can I clean mushy pad?
                  I am using this pad for WAX(NXT) only.

Thank you.
                  03 MINI BRG/BLK CVT - SOLD | 08 Black WRX - FAST!

Comment

Originally posted by cafemoc
                    One of pad got mushy when I tried to clean with car wash soap. All other pads are fine. It seems like pad absorbed too much wax or something.
                    How can I clean mushy pad?
                    I am using this pad for WAX(NXT) only.

Thank you.
                    When I wash my PC pads I use some Dish soap like Dawn in the sink by hand... Reason is it cuts grease or wax in this case. An automotive wash will not cut wax through the wax as it is designed to make your car look good and keep any coat of wax on the car.

If your pad has alot of NXT in it you may have to apply some soap straight to the pad and rub it in.

Make sure you rinse all the soap out of the pad this may take several rinses... let it air dry.
                    Last edited by gb387; May 18, 2005, 10:22 AM.
                    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387

If your pad has alot of NXT in it you may have to apply some soap straight to the pad and rub it in.

Make sure you rinse all the soap out of the pad this may take several rinses... let it air dry.
                      I do the same thing.....works great every time.
                      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

I use the washing machine with hot water some tide clear and a couple TBLS of APC.
                        "Washing for the People"

Comment

Thank you for the tip.
                          I applied dishwashing liquid to mushy pad, rub really good, after rinse with water, pad became pad again
                          I was way too gentle to clean pads, and car wash soap didn't clean wax soaked pads.
                          03 MINI BRG/BLK CVT - SOLD | 08 Black WRX - FAST!

Comment

That's why I use the Murphy's, it cuts the wax AND is very easy to rinse out of the pads
                            Don
                            12/27/2015
                            "Darth Camaro"
                            2013 Camaro ... triple black
                            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

The trick with Dawn (since it is ULTRA concentrated) is to only use a few drops.....a little goes along way and will rinse clean much quicker versus drenching the pad with soap.
                              Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');